• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

My Pi challenge

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by driewerf, Sep 24, 2010.

1. lemmings

lemmings Veteran

+125
    Atheist
    Private
  2. Cabal

Cabal Well-Known Member

+452
    Atheist
    Engaged
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I was gonna say...was pondering this in the shower this morning (what better time for maths) and figured this would be one way of getting it at the expense of making a whole bunch of base-10-rational numbers irrational.

I've been privy to one online debate where someone was trying to claim that atheists were being inconsistent because they accepted the concept of irrational numbers, so they were accepting irrationality. Etymology wasn't this guy's strong point.

3. lemmings

lemmings Veteran

+125
    Atheist
    Private
    You really shouldn't be looking at it that way, think about your future competition instead. Rich now, children learn the numbers 0-9. If we convert to base pi, really all they need to know is 0-3. That is 60% less teaching for parents with young children, I call that a win right there. The second win occurs when children try learning how to count to four, it is virtually impossible for them since all integer values greater than three are irrational, you've just eliminated your future competitors to the job market.

You know, the comic did propose a solution to these debates.... and it is not like great collections of classical works haven't been destroyed before.

4. Aces High

Aces High Veteran

+47
    Catholic
    Single
    Actually, it's more like hence a categorical error has been committed.

5. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,541
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Pi does not exist. You can measure from the inside of a circle or the outside but Pi itself has no substance or existence. That is why it is infinite. Back in the days before CAD when we did drafting the line always had a thickness. That is why all prints were marked. NTS meaning NOT TO SCALE. Because the thickness of the line threw off your attempt to measure your drawing for distance.

6. pshun2404

pshun2404 Newbie

+515
    Non-Denom
    Married
    The premise that "there are no absolute truths" is illogical and irrational because the statement itself IS assumed to be absolutely true which if so means there is at least one (that there are not any) which means the premise negates itself. Post 17 is right on regarding this point.

7. Black Dog

Black Dog Well-Known Member

+573
    Atheist
    Private
    I took a fourth year math course that covered this, among other things. It was very interesting.

8. Kylie

Kylie Defeater of Illogic

+3,747
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Oh, pish tosh. It's very easy to express the value of pi.

Pi is PRECISELY equal to C/D, where C is the circumference of a circle and D is the diameter of that same circle.

(My daughter saw this over my shoulder and declared I was a smart alec! ^_^)

9. The Cadet

The Cadet SO COOL

+4,739
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    This doesn't follow at all. The fact that a precise decimal representation of a number is impossible does not mean that it is impossible to know the value of that number. Even then, it does not mean that absolute truth is impossible. I could just as easily define a number "phlarg", which is literally an infinite string of random characters. There is absolutely no way to represent phlarg numerically. Does that mean absolute truth is impossible? No, it just means that there is absolutely no way to represent it numerically.

10. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,444
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    1 Kings 7:23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

I once asked the educated elite here how that passage should have been written, and one responded that it should have said,

1 Kings 7:23 And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of [about] thirty cubits did compass it round about.

The fact that that word "about" isn't in there is a stumblingblock that fools the educated elite to this day.

That's how easily they can be buffaloed.

They profess themselves to be wise, and they end up getting fooled by the simplest of words.

A better example is Genesis 2, where the fact that the word "had" is not found in a certain verse, educatees claim there are two different accounts of the creation event.