US-Republican
belly-fat-1-225x300.jpg
55.jpg
download%2B%25281%2529.jpg
download.jpg
erica-watson1-333x450.jpg
gabourey_sidibe2.jpg
images%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Whether one is identified as plus sized, overweight, large, overweight, or fat, why are black women who fit those labels defined as loud, not attractive enough, or crass? I have noticed memes, online comments, videos, and even commercials and movies which show those various stereotypes. This is a sad state of affairs where it seems to be in an age where yes, being larger can carry some health risks, but that is all some people see. If we were to be inclusive and diverse, how come is it that women of color, who are larger, are not always included or respected, but derided? I myself can relate to those pictures, because the women look more like me than many models, singers, dancers, and actresses. It saddens me that large people, especially black women, are defined as unattractive and not put together. I can relate because I as a large black woman, am not loud, crass, or any of the negative or demeaning stereotypes often associated with larger black women. The women above are quite attractive, and they may even nice people, but I personally don't know a larger black woman who is not seen as unattractive, loud, or crass in reality, so why do they show this stereotype in movies and on television? I just don't get it.

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All people are beautiful. There is never any doubt about that.

How they comport themselves and what comes out of their mouths, be they thin, heavy, or whatever race, makes them who they are perceived to be. That is their choice.

All good things
Emmy

• Agree
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Sheep4Christ

Hell:A place where I don't want to go.
Nov 28, 2016
Ga
✟25,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The point is that it's a stereotype. Of course not all larger black women are like the media portrays them. There are some thin women who carry on like they've had absolutely zero home training.I say be confident of your worth and ignore the haters.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think black women do not carry the same shame for being overweight that many white women do. When I see a big boned black women, most of the time in my personal experience, they seem to spend extra time on their hair, nails and outfit in order to look attractive and it works. Nothing looks better than confidence.

Culturally, I think I least and I'll say again me personally, if I see a black woman of a larger size, I tend to assume she know show to cook also. This leads me to believe she may possibly be a good home companion. I have come across both loud talking and humble big boned black women. It really depends of their individual personality, upbringing, home training, employment status, parental skills, church life, and all that.

I think they make a stereotype of them being loud and obnoxious because that is what people think is funny. People like to see a fat man act crazy too. I don't see the same stereotype done with white women. I see them portrayed as the best friend of the star of the show.

• Haha
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because some of the stereotypes of true.. and this works for people who (1) are too lazy to open themselves to other cultures.. (2) negative and it wouldn't matter if alternative views were present

By the way I personally don't think weight has anything to do with a person's character or personality but the weight can be a turn off to view and the usual accompanying habits are something not to celebrate.. it's a more visible representation of one's discipline for many .. it's a vulnerable representation as well.

As harsh as that might sound.. I empathize somewhat.. as I am going through something similar. But I prefer to be brutally realistic about my health and my goals and thus I am working on my discipline lol

Upvote 0