DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Thanksgiving was interesting this year.

My lovely 18 year old niece whispered into my ear that she has a girlfriend.

I was happy to hear this. She's an incredible gal, and she deserves to be in a loving relationship.

So now we're playing the "keep our mouths shut" game because she hasn't told everyone yet; just those who she thinks will handle the news without getting all funky.

I don't think she has told her dad yet, nor her grandparents.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving, we hosted the gals for lunch and we were quite taken by her new girlfriend. She's really fun and friendly.

Then it dawned on me how sad it is that some people are missing out on this joy. I have to admit that some of our family's older folks might frown on this relationship. Well, it's their loss for being such fuddiduddies.

They will keep thinking my neice is alone and sad . . .

Maybe if they grew a little more tolerant they could share in her joy.

I just thought I'd share this~

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
You should feel honored that she decided that you were loving and tolerant enough to handle it, which I am sure you do. :) I can't imagine how hard that could be...at least given my experience with certain, really conservative families. I don't know how your family weighs up against any established stereotype, though. I will pray that things go well for, I wish I had someone to make me happy! So she is definitely a step ahead me there :p:(

Upvote 0

Evenstar253

somewhere else
Feb 3, 2009
PA
✟16,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Congrats to her! A lifelong friend of mine came out about a year ago, and for once, the process of coming out happened exactly as it should. His friends and family were all supportive, and he's now in a long-term relationship with a great guy, looking happier than he has in years :)

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What a great story Dean...thanks! What a joy and a blessing that she confided in you her love for her girlfriend. I hope the rest of yours/her family can be as gracious and supportive as you are!

About 5 months ago, just after I moved down here to CA, my unlce came out to me and I met his partner of 29years! What an awesome experience that was. And I never knew otherwise until he told me...lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is a heartwarming thread for three reasons:

1) That you are a loving and open-minded individual as Christians should be.
2) That your niece knew she could trust you with this information, which solidifies your character in that she knew you could "handle" this news, and
3) That this thread is going on 13 posts and they are all supportive and positive.

God bless you guys :angel:

Reactions: Supernaut
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Minty

S.O.P.H.I.E
Aug 6, 2007
South East London, England
✟19,598.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Greens
I always knew that you were cool, Dean... this thread just confirmed it :hug:

So glad that your niece has found someone to love and be loved by in return... warms my heart to hear it, especially in this world that can be filled with such violent and terrible things.

I wish her all the joy in the world, and I hope that her parents and other family can one day accept her for the loving and beautiful woman that she is :)

Upvote 0

DeanM

Jun 4, 2007
✟5,870.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, Dean -- do her parents know yet? If so, how are they coping?

First, thanks to all of you for your kind words and support!

God bless you, my friends!

Here's what I know: Her parents are divorced. As far as I know, only her mom knows but her dad (my brother) doesn't.

I don't speak to her mom anymore, but I can imagine she's probably fairly supportive of her daughter.

Her dad would be supportive too, I would guess . . .

There are a few other "complications" in the equation which I can't really get into here. Nothing major, but just not appropriate for me to discuss.

The saddest part, I think, is her grandparents (which includes my parents) not knowing.

My parents are fairly liberal for their age and background. I think they support civil unions for gay folks, but draw the line at letting them call it a marriage.

They would handle it well.

My niece's other grandparents, I have to admit, would probably call their local parish and try to hold an intervention or something.

Time will tell, I suppose.

For now, the Dean household is just doing what we can be being there for our niece and keeping our mouths shut.

That's not easy, cuz I really want to be openly happy for my niece, and I can't do that.

Maybe soon things will get more open . . .

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is a blessing to support all my friends here in WWMC. I hope that in time she will feel comfortable to fully share her life with all the other members of the family. Sounds like she will recieve much support from everyone (YAY!)... except perhaps the grandparents on her mothers' side....very unfortunate.... but God has a way letting all things work out for the best!

But again Dean, much applause for your support for her through it all!!!

Upvote 0