Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Just so you know....."door knocking" isn't a fulfillment of the "great commission".

You're an adult living with your parents. You should be grateful instead of being Pharisaical toward them.

If I was your mom, I'd be slightly miffed at you too. If your mom isn't "religious" enough for you.....move out. It doesn't sound like she is going to let you lay a guilt trip on her.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, when I posted this there was no pride in my heart whatsoever. Nor was I trying to elevate myself.
OP, only you can know what truly is right in your situation. We are all being tempted by our own interests, because the very core of this thread is about justice and power struggles - over which there is a cosmic battle between God and sin - and not all of us can see it let alone be in control of it ;)

The unjust are an abomination to the righteous, but the upright are an abomination to the wicked. - Proverbs 29:27

You are more upright than most people, and it is natural for someone who isn't as upright as you, if they are addicted to sin, they want to bring you down to their level by making you come under their yoke.

You must be wise and be strong for God and stick to your knowledge of the truth!

• Agree
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
As I have said before, you can't change your mother. You can't force her to what you do, or what you want her to do. You can't read your mother's mind and she can't read yours - there may be a reason why she does not want to do this, and your anger, frustration, and disgust is not helping neither her or you. Let her be. Do what God wants YOU to do. But do not start bearing anger towards your mother over this. That is between her and God, and while it is admirable that you want to help her and grow in your faith together, you just can't force someone to do that. My only suggestion is to pray about it. That's all you can do at this point. Pray away the anger because I can assure you, it only gets worse if not dealt with.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Me: Mom, have you never felt led by the LORD to witness to the lost?

Mom: I went with you door-knocking before.

Me: I know, but that was just one time and a long time ago. Are you sure that is not enough?

Mom: OK, I am getting really mad at you and I'm not talking to you.

I am kind of disgusted and angry at my mom because she doesn't see how important it is to win the lost to Christ like I do. Christ has led me to be a witness every day that I am alive. I do it every day, while she just sits on her butt all day and watches TV on her computer. For hours and hours. She seems to care about that thing more than GOD. I hope she is not committing idolatry with her computer. Treating a computer like a god is idolatry. I don't think she cares that people are dying and going to Hell. She has on these rose-colored glasses, she thinks life is alright and OK (there are no problems) all the time, and I tell you, for the lost everything is not OK. For them life is terrible. I wish she would see that. I wish she would take off those rose-colored glasses and see life for what it really is like I do. It seems almost selfish to me that she does not care about the eternal destiny of others.

So my mom and I are not on speaking terms right now. I firmly believe she should witness more (doing it only one time is not enough!), and she does not seem to think so. We disagree with each other. No matter how many times I speak to her, I make no impact. I wonder if my words are falling on deaf ears. All she wants to do is watch TV all day, and this disgusts me so much I want to take her computer and chuck it out the window. I don't care what she would think of that. That thing is preventing her from living for GOD, it must be evil or something.

I have noticed that she does not pray or read her Bible as much as I do either. I am wondering if she is a just another lukewarm Christian. I am serious about my faith. Is she? It makes me mad inside.

Imo, Brinny nailed it really, Jacqueline. God doesn't give us responsibility for guiding our parents, but the other way round. We think we know it all when we are young, but adulthood brings lots of difficulties and compromises, and we eventually realise those adults we used to think so delinquent, even hypocritical, well, we too are part of the problem.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have had to ask GOD to forgive my mom for failing to perform the Great Commission like Jesus commanded.
you should follow that prayer up with asking forgiveness for yourself for being resentful towards your mother as we are all called to abide by the 5th commandment. being angry to the point of contemplating destroying her property is not in accordance with this commandment.

it's most excellent that you have such a desire to share the gospel with the lost but we can't use the fact that we're consistent in obeying one command of God to justify breaking another(matthew 23:23). such an attitude will greatly hurt your witness.

what will your heart be towards the lost when they consistently disregard your gospel message and get angry with you for sharing it? if you would endure them, why would you not extend the same mercy and patience to your mother?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
you should follow that prayer up with asking forgiveness for yourself for being resentful towards your mother as we are all called to abide by the 5th commandment. being angry to the point of contemplating destroying her property is not in accordance with this commandment.

it's most excellent that you have such a desire to share the gospel with the lost but we can't use the fact that we're consistent in obeying one command of God to justify breaking another(matthew 23:23). such an attitude will greatly hurt your witness.

what will your heart be towards the lost when they constantly disregard your gospel message and get angry with you for sharing it? if you would endure them, why would you not show the same mercy and patience with your mother?

I agree 100 percent. I see a lot of anger and resentment in the OP, and honestly, no one - not even her - has control over what her mother does. You just have to accept that. And don't be quick to judge so harshly just because she enjoys the computer or TV. That is HER time spent, not yours. We are not to JUDGE people but to love them and extend God's grace to them, and tell them about the Good News. From what I have read, I do not see any of that.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,933.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I believe in the seven churches as ages...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: - Revelation 3

The issue of this Laodicean age is that it is lukewarm, and neither cold or hot. This can happen as we age. If you ever become lukewarm or cold on Christ you will be able to look back and see how easily this happens.

Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I cannot be harsh with anyone who wants to spread the Gospel of Christ, BUT there are other considerations as one is engaged in doing that.

For one, what are your qualifications for following through if someone shows interest? Bible school graduate? Seminary student? What? Because I assure you that if someone responds positively to door knocking and a " Do you know the Lord?" a lot of follow-up questions may come at you and even if they do not, you will have to know the best way to guide the people involved in how to take the next step.

Second, many people just naturally are going to resist having somebody try to sell them something uninvited, whether that's merchandise, a political candidate, or a religion. To know the best way to approach people is critically important to having success.

Your concern is appreciated, but I recommend seeking the help of a church before moving forward with this project...and do not neglect to make amends with your mother.
Albion has excellent advice here. I think that this is one of the best-written forum responses to this type of situation and/or case study. I would consider what Albion has said very seriously and carefully.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
why would you not extend the same mercy and patience to your mother?
Her mother is actually blocking the work of God, whereas a hostile reception builds character and allows her to move on to the next person that Christ has prepared for her to minister to. She should be getting support for this by Christians, not blocked.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Her mother is actually blocking the work of God, whereas a hostile reception builds character and allows her to move on to the next person that Christ has prepared for her to minister to. She should be getting support for this by Christians, not blocked.
I see nothing in the OP saying the mother is prohibiting the OP from evangelism. the OP's issue is that her mother will not join her.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey I'm curious, how do you witness to God?

And it sounds like your mom is consumed by TV, just like how my brother is consumed by video games.

What do you mean by witnessing to God, if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Me: I know, but that was just one time and a long time ago. Are you sure that is not enough?

I am kind of disgusted and angry at my mom because she doesn't see how important it is to win the lost to Christ like I do. Christ has led me to be a witness every day that I am alive. I do it every day, while she just sits on her butt all day and watches TV on her computer. For hours and hours. She seems to care about that thing more than GOD. I hope she is not committing idolatry with her computer. Treating a computer like a god is idolatry. I don't think she cares that people are dying and going to Hell. She has on these rose-colored glasses, she thinks life is alright and OK (there are no problems) all the time, and I tell you, for the lost everything is not OK. For them life is terrible. I wish she would see that. I wish she would take off those rose-colored glasses and see life for what it really is like I do. It seems almost selfish to me that she does not care about the eternal destiny of others.

So my mom and I are not on speaking terms right now. I firmly believe she should witness more (doing it only one time is not enough!), and she does not seem to think so. We disagree with each other. No matter how many times I speak to her, I make no impact. I wonder if my words are falling on deaf ears. All she wants to do is watch TV all day, and this disgusts me so much I want to take her computer and chuck it out the window. I don't care what she would think of that. That thing is preventing her from living for GOD, it must be evil or something.

I have noticed that she does not pray or read her Bible as much as I do either. I am wondering if she is a just another lukewarm Christian. I am serious about my faith. Is she? It makes me mad inside.

Hi,

The enemy is subtle, he is working on your heart to make you anger and bitter towards your mother. Put this situation in Gods hands and don't give it another thought. The Lord will prompt you if He wants you to speak to your mother about this again. You need to let it go and concentrate on what He wants you to do, not what He wants her to do. God bless

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see nothing in the OP saying the mother is prohibiting the OP from evangelism. the OP's issue is that her mother will not join her.
Noted! Thank you :) I have been under the impression that she is being blocked, because I know that her Mom has prevented her from receiving gospel tracts for her ministry.

In that light, yes OP, it is wrong to judge your Mom for not being enthusiastic for the gospel and it will not do you any good to get upset about it because it is rooted in pride and envy.

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, when I posted this there was no pride in my heart whatsoever. Nor was I trying to elevate myself. I am sorry if it sounded that way, but you guys don't know me so you don't know what I am really like personally. I have hardly ever been arrogant in my life.

I guess I just have a hard time understanding someone else who does not share the same concern for the lost that I do. I witness because I have genuine concern about others.
Maybe something that will help you is to know that God uses each of us in different ways for His kingdom and glory and also that there will be rewards in heaven for things that we do.

However, you need to see clearly that each of us is on our own path with God. Some people do seem to be a little more mature in Christ, but that God is working in all of us. What you need to do is look at other strengths in Christ that your mom may have and is Christ working in her life.

Now sometimes when God works in someone's life those things are plain for us to see as human beings (ie. they stick out like a sore thumb and we recognize and see them immediately) but some of the things God works on us are internal. One example may be forgiveness or us getting past a sin we have struggled with for a long time and really gaining ground on not doing that sin as much or realizing that we need to change something.

But, for you to take one aspect of your life, such as witnessing since you brought it up and compare your Christian walk with hers, on something God has called you to do (as you believe you have been called) is somewhat saying that God calls us all to the same exact thing in the same way.

God doesn't do this. Someone who has had a great struggle, I'll use alcholism as an example, can get through to an alchoholic in a way that someone who has never been an alchoholic has not and cannot.

The same with drug abuse, or sexual abuse or someone that stuggles in their Christian walk with inappropriate content or coveting.

We all have our struggles and you are being judgemental by saying your mom should be just as you are.

Some people just aren't witnessing kind of people. They find it very hard to be extroverted or to approach people, but these same people may never need to say a word if there lives reflect God. Many times non-Christians talk about how they do not see many Christians that there lives are changed, so you do not know what witness they are to God's kingdom or how whomever they are may be an example to others.

As Paul says that he and Apollos water, but God brings forth the growth. So we all water in our ways and I believe that God brings forth out of our deeds His glory.

There are other ways that someone can be a witness to Christ not just verbally speaking to people. Maybe you should encourage her or try to help her do other things she may be more comfortable with. Maybe you have gotten to a place where you have been so combative with this subject that now she is turned off to it and not listening anymore.

You need to try another approach and be loving and helpful and not judgemental.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
JacquelineDeane55 said:
I have had to ask GOD to forgive my mom for failing to perform the Great Commission like Jesus commanded.

what will your heart be towards the lost when they consistently disregard your gospel message and get angry with you for sharing it? if you would endure them, why would you not extend the same mercy and patience to your mother?

Amen.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I perfectly understand the sense of urgency making a Christian want to get the message out to lost people RIGHT NOW, those wishing to fulfill the Great Commission may do well to take a page from twelve-step recovery's book. Attraction rather than promotion, they say. They don't go out to skid row and drag alcoholics and addicts kicking and screaming into the meeting rooms, telling them they'd better sober up or they'll die, no matter how true that is. They don't walk around handing out literature to strangers, in the hopes that this person may be an addict in need of recovery. When people come into the meeting rooms and leave again, they don't go chasing the relapsers down the street, thumping them over the head with an AA Big Book.

What they do is, they live their own lives in sobriety and show by example what the advantages are to it. When the alcoholic/addict decides to want that kind of life too, he or she knows where the meetings are held, and those in recovery are glad to extend their hand to help.

Just as only the alcoholic/addict can decide to take steps to recovery, only the lost soul can decide to call upon the Lord. It's just like our pastor said recently. Our job is not to defend God, but to represent Him.

This said, I do sympathize with that feeling when people take the attitude of, "Oh yes honey, I'm glad you're a Christian, but don't act like one except for in church on Sunday morning. Otherwise you're getting carried away and becoming a fanatic." No, we are supposed to be Christians every minute of every day, not just in church. I do get that.

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Love her where She's at. Honor your mother. It sounds like you're baptised with the fire of the Holy Spirit. It can be very hard for others to understand the convictions you're gripped with. We must walk in humility or it can be hard to have loving relationships. I'm not telling you to compromise your beliefs to satisfy someone else's disbeliefs, I'm merely advising you as a brother in the Lord to mature in patience and humility.

I share your suffering...it can be perplexing when there are many lukewarm Christians in your local vicinity who can't understand your anointing for evangelism...this normal Christianity appears as legalism to much of Churchianity. I'm 100% sure your heart is pure and you are in the right. I want to leave you this Scripture that helps me...when I lose a bit of patience with the general complacency...

'We who are strong ought to bear with the shortcomings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please Himself, but as it is written: “The insults of those who insult You have fallen on Me.” For everything that was written in the past was written for our instruction, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures, we might have hope.

Now may the God of endurance and encouragement grant you harmony with one another in Christ Jesus, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.' Romans 15:1-6

Also, I find 1 Corinthians 2:6-16 a good reminder as well. I advise koinonia with like-minded believers if you have any in the local vicinity. God bless you, sister. I love you!

'He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the LORD' Proverbs 17:15

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I suggest you get down on your knees and thank the Good Lord that you are not my daughter. Evil? Evil? Something is certainly not good, but it isn't your mother.

The very idea of such presumption from a daughter to her mother; where on earth do you get the idea that you are your own mother's pastor? She gave birth to you, fed you, clothed you; she still puts a roof over your head and provides for you, and you think she has not done enough for the Lord?

Good grief! Stop it at once and leave her alone.

Upvote 0