Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The American education system, and/or home schooling, has a lot to answer for.
Geeze; come on, I said I was open to changing my idea, to learning. Please educate me rather than ridicule me and my education.

• Optimistic
Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Geeze; come on, I said I was open to changing my idea, to learning. Please educate me rather than ridicule me and my education.

Gravity is a force which acts between any two massive objects. The strength of that force is proportional to the product of the two massives, and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

So, whilst it is true that you feel the force of Earth's gravity, it is also true that the Earth feels the force of your (extremely weak) gravity.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I´d never have guessed that things fall down until I was taught the theory of gravity.
Did they teach you what it looks like?

• Haha
Reactions: davedajobauk
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Did they teach you what it looks like?

I guess you're just having a bit of fun, but of course no one can "SEE" gravity, they can see the EFFECT of gravity, or feel it if they wish to, you cannot see heat or cold but you can see the effect of heat or cold.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gravity is a force which acts between any two massive objects. The strength of that force is proportional to the product of the two massives, and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

So, whilst it is true that you feel the force of Earth's gravity, it is also true that the Earth feels the force of your (extremely weak) gravity.
Correct, I fail to see how my example differs in any great measure. My example of Earth pulling on a cosmic fabric could be extrapolated to a human also having a similar, if minor, affect. I am quite aware that a planet, or any object, does not "sit" on a some sort of dark matter blanket as the force of gravity extends to all sides at the same time. My "falling" statement is also meant as a common speech example to make it easier to understand. Perhaps my example is not a good one, but I also do not think that it is worthy of outright ridicule.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess you're just having a bit of fun, but of course no one can "SEE" gravity, they can see the EFFECT of gravity, or feel it if they wish to, you cannot see heat or cold but you can see the effect of heat or cold.
Can you tell if a person lived or not by the same way?

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way
Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
OK, I am open to changing my idea on it, but would you mind explaining how it is "rubbish"?

The force is increasing with proximity. If it were decreasing with proximity/closeness to an object of weight then we would never be able to escape a gravity well of a planet....but once we get further away the gravity from said object lessens.
Yes. That's what I meant. But I munted it. No excuse. What you said is right.

• Friendly
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you've never seen gravity before, how do you know it exists?

I've seen it, and it definitely exists, I preferred Interstellar though to be honest, not really a big fan of Sandra Bullock.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Can you tell if a person lived or not by the same way?
Do you mean can you tell if a person lived by the effect they had, I would say yes. If you KNOW a person (for example) built a house, there were witnesses and that house was there, and they said "I saw Dave build that house" and the witness statements were unbiased and verifiable then you would have to conclude that Dave existed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I've seen it, and it definitely exists, I preferred Interstellar though to be honest, not really a big fan of Sandra Bullock.
I do agree, Interstellar is much better. But please don't write off Sandra Bullock's performance in Gravity, she carried that movie! (Well, she carried it second to the SFX.)

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Do you mean can you tell if a person lived by the effect they had, I would say yes. If you KNOW a person (for example) built a house, there were witnesses and that house was there, and they said "I saw Dave build that house" and the witness statements were unbiased and verifiable then you would have to conclude that Dave existed.
No, man! Dave was just a figment of your imagination, man!

• Agree
Reactions: Dave RP
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do agree, Interstellar is much better. But please don't write off Sandra Bullock's performance in Gravity, she carried that movie! (Well, she carried it second to the SFX.)
I totally agree with this, I watched most of Interstellar again last night, as a matter of fact.

Reactions: greenguzzi
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yeah, she was pretty good in it. I regret not seeing them on the big screen rather than on TV.

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Yeah, she was pretty good in it. I regret not seeing them on the big screen rather than on TV.
Oh my, you missed out big time. There are not too many movies that deserve the big screen.
2001 is one (I saw it at the London premier). Gravity is another.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0