US-Republican
Science says it like it is ...
Often after it's too late.

Remember Thalidomide?
Paul Finch said:
would you buy a car on faith?
Yes.

In fact, that's exactly what we did.

You see, we knew [know] the owner ... my wife's mother.

Matthew 6:9a After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven,

So yes, there are exceptions to your philosophy.

But your science teaches you to throw the baby out with the bathwater; approaching God like He's a used car salesman.

Upvote 0

Paul Finch

Nov 12, 2016
UK
✟2,052.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But your science teaches you to throw the baby out with the bathwater; approaching God like He's a used car salesman.
Your God is much much worse than a used car salesman because unlike your God the used car salesman does not condemn you to death if you don't buy what he's selling, how you can continue to keep falling for the obviously false religious nonsense is beyond me.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your God is much much worse than a used car salesman because unlike your God the used car salesman does not condemn you to death if you don't buy what he's selling,
Salvation isn't for sale.

It's a free gift.

Upvote 0

Paul Finch

Nov 12, 2016
UK
✟2,052.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Salvation isn't for sale.
It's a free gift.
Is that why there is such a thing as a tithe? why is God always so bad with money that the leaders of his church keep asking for more and more?

The statement "All promises will be honoured after you are dead" should have sounded loud alarm bells but I expect you ignored them because you wanted to believe.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One is right, one is wrong.

Imagine someone fairy taling away the claim to a landmine in the road.

BOOM!

Funny thing is that you can test for landmines in a road. No need to rely on stories of any kind.

But testing can take a hike, I suppose, you'd rather stick with your stories?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because science rewrites the Bible, then can't understand anything in It and demands we explain It to them.

This creates an "optical illusion" that we are the "religious failures," since we can't explain It to their satisfaction.

That's because you are wrong - it isn't science rewriting the Bible, it is reality.

And if you don't want to rewrite the Bible, then why don't you have a go at rewriting reality? Go ahead. I'll wait.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From your link:Only on paper.

That's a lie, straight from Satan's mouth.

We don't have a common ancestor, we have a common designer.

And if you want to trace our DNA back properly, trace it back to Adam, who lived in 4004 BC.

Regarding your last point, then why have village settlements in Ancient Mesopotamia been dated to be from around 6500 BC, and one culture near Jericho dated to around 8000 BC that had walls, a religious shrine, and a 23-foot tower with an internal staircase.

Also, Satan wasn't really seen as the embodiment of evil and deception until the New Testament. In the Old Testament God was in charge of everything and sent lying spirits (and supposedly commanded genocides, but that's another topic)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Regarding your last point, then why have village settlements in Ancient Mesopotamia been dated to be from around 6500 BC, and one culture near Jericho dated to around 8000 BC that had walls, a religious shrine, and a 23-foot tower with an internal staircase.
If I build a log cabin tomorrow out of 2000 year old trees, will experts say my house was built in the year 16?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If I build a log cabin tomorrow out of 2000 year old trees, will experts say my house was built in the year 16?

Carbon dating will indicate when the trees died, so that will indicate that they died in 2016.

Counting the tree rings will indicate the age of the tree at death. So they will indicate that the tree was 2000 years old.

So, the two together will indicate that in 2016, trees that had lived for 2000 years were used to make a log cabin.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Carbon dating will indicate when the trees died, so that will indicate that they died in 2016.

Counting the tree rings will indicate the age of the tree at death. So they will indicate that the tree was 2000 years old.

So, the two together will indicate that in 2016, trees that had lived for 2000 years were used to make a log cabin.
And no, scientists are not dumb enough to conclude from that information alone that your cabin was built in the year 16.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And no, scientists are not dumb enough to conclude from that information alone that your cabin was built in the year 16.

Well, they won't be able to pin down the year exactly, but they should be able to get fairly close. Like, if they were studying it in the year 3000, they would be able to carbon date it and get results that indicate the trees died around 2000-2020. And the tree rings are a very reliable method of dating the age of the tree when it died.

What problem do you anticipate they will have?

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Without the fossil record, you would have to say that my oldest common ancestor was a human being just like me.

Nope. Because the technology that allows us to see that you are more closely related to your brother then to your 3rd cousin, also allows us to determine that you are more closely related to chimps and gorilla's then to cats and dogs.

Or more closely related to cats and dogs then to crockodiles.

Or more closely related to crockodiles then to pine trees.

How would you know it was some hairy goon that swung down out of the trees and lived in caves for generations?

That's where fossils come in.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are a sad one trick pony.
Thank you.

And speaking of sad one trick ponies, do you know your SHOW ME EVIDENCE mantra anagrams to SHOWMEN DECEIVE?

Upvote 0