Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of 'nothing,' the earth came into existence from there.

The technical term is: creatio ex nihilo.

God spoke, and the earth appeared.

I have always wondered about that (creatio ex nihilo) as The Trinity existed so really how could creation come about out of nothing. As God was in existence, the creation must have came from God. As in, really was there ever a time when nothing existed.

I could see how earth (land/ground) had at one time a beginning but the question is did it began out of nothing.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is v2 part of day one? v3-5 seem to be day 1 events? What was the void/emptiness? What was the deep/abyss? (The bottomless pit of Revelation?) What was the divine wind? What was the face? What was really going on in verse 2? Had the fall of Satan already taken place before or during creation week?

[Genesis 1:2 NETS] Yet the earth was invisible and unformed, and darkness was over the abyss, and a divine wind was being carried along over the water.

[Gen 1:2 NIV] Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

[Gen 1:2 KJV] 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Jubilees 2:2/ For on the first day he created the heavens that are above, the earth, the waters, and all the spirits who serve before him, namely, the angels of the presence; the angels of holiness; the angels of the spirits of fire; the angels of the winds that blow; the angels of the spirits of the clouds for darkness, ice, hoar-frost, dew,[8] snow,[9] hail, and frost; the angels of the thunder; and for the angels of the winds [ ];[10] and the angels of the spirits for cold and heat, for winter and summer, and for all the spirits of his creatures that [he made] in the heavens and that (he made) on the earth,[11]and in every (place). [There were also] the depths, darkness and dawn, light and evening that he prepared through his knowledge. 3/ Then we saw his works and blessed him regarding all his works; we offered praise before him because he had made seven great works on the first day.

Vanderkam, James C. . Jubilees (Hermeneia) (pp. 12-13).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have always wondered about that (creatio ex nihilo) as The Trinity existed so really how could creation come about out of nothing. As God was in existence, the creation must have came from God. As in, really was there ever a time when nothing existed.
That is called "panentheism," which is a heresy we don't subscribe to.

God is separate from His creation.

He can be outside of it, or He can "break into" it at will.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Ok so explain a God who exist, creating out of nothing, where did this nothing reside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is v2 part of day one?
Yes.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Paul4JC said:
v3-5 seem to be day 1 events?
Yes.
Paul4JC said:
What was the void/emptiness?
I don't know: nothing is hard to describe.
Paul4JC said:
What was the deep/abyss?
A single mass of sea water in the hollow of God's hand.

I think it's been referred to as the Panthalassic Ocean by some.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Nowhere.

(Weird, isn't it?)

No not actually, because if one is honest all that can be said about God's creation is that in Genesis 1:1 it states God created the heaven and earth. No mention of creating out of nothing.

Unless you have another verse stating this, it falls under the same theology of God creating the current accepted scientific creation that is accepted in 99% of churches. But yet has no true Biblical support.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No not actually, because if one is honest all that can be said about God's creation is that in Genesis 1:1 it states God created the heaven and earth. No mention of creating out of nothing.
Then feel free to consider me dishonest.

(Get in line first. ;))

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Science can take a hike, can't it? :oldthumbsup:
science definition - Google Search - Google Chrome 6_30_2022 12_36_36 AM.png

Galileo Galilei said:
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Heresy, you say?
Paul in Acts 17:28 said:
"'In Him we live and move and have our being’; as even some of your own poets have said"
If God is both transcendent and immanent, where do you draw that line?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Then feel free to consider me dishonest.

(Get in line first. ;))

Why take the science route to try and understand God's creation, that only travels down a road of deception.

When God describes it perfectly in The Bible, at least what He wants man to know at this point in time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why take the science route ...
You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Science can take a hike.

In fact, I started this thread to show that science in general -- and astronomy, biology, and geology in particular -- weren't even in existence when God created the earth.

The inspiration for this thread came when someone -- (I can't remember who) -- brought up geology with respect to the earth's beginning.

So far, not one person has admitted that geology played a part in the Biblical creation of the earth.

Which is exactly what I'm shooting for in this challenge thread.

Thanks for the QED.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Science can take a hike.

In fact, I started this thread to show that science in general -- and astronomy, biology, and geology in particular -- weren't even in existence when God created the earth.

The inspiration for this thread came when someone -- (I can't remember who) -- brought up geology with respect to the earth's beginning.

So far, not one person has admitted that geology played a part in the Biblical creation of the earth.

Which is exactly what I'm shooting for in this challenge thread.

Thanks for the QED.

No you have stated many times you believe in sciences version of creation

This written comment below is sourced from science not The Bible

The earth now is an oblate spheroid.
My Day One Challenge

Upvote 0