Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even if science didn't exist when the universe and world began, we can still use science to look back at the world and its history.
What history?

The earth was created without a history.

Whether you believe it was created in 4004 BC or 4,543,000,000 BC; it was created without a history.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,326.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
What history?

The earth was created without a history.

Whether you believe it was created in 4004 BC or 4,543,000,000 BC; it was created without a history.

That's only your claim based on a VERY strange reading of the Bible, a claim that you have no evidence to back it up with.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's only your claim based on a VERY strange reading of the Bible,
Genesis 1:1 is all you should be concerned with in this thread.

That should filter out all "very strange readings" and greatly simplify this challenge.

You don't have to worry that I'm going to counter anything with some far-fetched interpretation of an obscure passage.

Just confine theology to Genesis 1:1; and science to astronomy, biology, and geology.

Easy peasy.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,326.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 1:1 is all you should be concerned with in this thread.

That should filter out all "very strange readings" and greatly simplify this challenge.

You don't have to worry that I'm going to counter anything with some far-fetched interpretation of an obscure passage.

Just confine theology to Genesis 1:1; and science to astronomy, biology, and geology.

Easy peasy.

I did, hence why my answer was: none of the above.

And I'm not worried of you referring to some obscure passage. It's your far-fetched interpretations of well known and simple passages that I refer to.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I did, hence why my answer was: none of the above.

And I'm not worried of you referring to some obscure passage. It's your far-fetched interpretations of well known and simple passages that I refer to.
IOW, you're trolling now?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here is the Earth during a segment of Day One of the Creation Week:

6183733550_9426af6726_b.jpg

A mass of sea water in the hollow of God's hand.

Isaiah 40:12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,

Genesis 1:2a And the earth was without form, and void;

Which do not apply, in your opinion:
  1. astronomy
  2. biology
  3. geology
  4. all the above
  5. none of the above

I take the account of creation week to be mythology, therefore I don't see why any of it applies.

In any case, there are passages in the creation story which contradict astronomy.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In any case, there are passages in the creation story which contradict astronomy.
There is only one passage that applies here:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is only one passage that applies here:

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Sounds like you need a folklorist. Or some sort of ancient literature expert.

• Winner
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like you need a folklorist. Or some sort of ancient literature expert.
To get people off the hook that want to discuss anything but astronomy, biology, and geology, as they apply to the earth in Genesis 1:1?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is that one of the four things that God himself wrote?
Off-topic, but God wrote the Ten Commandments twice, MENE MENE TEKEL UPHARISIN on the wall, and stooped down and wrote in the sand in front of an audience who had brought Him a woman taken in adultery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,412.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just confine theology to Genesis 1:1;
Excellent suggestion!

Good fences make good friends, or as the late (and still so inspiring!) Stephen Jay Gould said, religion and science are Not Overlapping Magisteria. NOMA. Fine. Let religion squabble about the nature of the soul, the difference between Purgatory and Hell, the question whether someone can be safed by good works or by grace alone. Let the spiritual be religion’s Magisterium.

Science’s job is to describe and explain the physical. The material, the real world. And science has strict rules when dealing with the physical: empirical evidence is the ultimate arbiter. Not authority, not revelation, not disbelieve. Empirical evidence.

You guys want to debate the question of “Once Saved Always Saved”. Good. Fine. But the moment you cross the fence and make statements about the physical world, you enter science’s realm and play by science’s rules.

The Flood? A physical event, hence where is the empirical evidence?

The changing of water into wine at the Wedding of Cana? A very material thing, hence you play by science’s rules.

The Creation Week? Again, a statement about the material Universe. You enter Science’s playground so again empirical evidence shall be the only accepted argument.

If you can’t stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. If you don’t want to stick with these rules, then don’t cross the fence. Stay in your safe space or echo chamber, aka your church, mosque, synagogue or Sunday School.

Good fences make good friends, or at least, they clarify the rules by which the discussions are to be held.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To get people off the hook that want to discuss anything but astronomy, biology, and geology, as they apply to the earth in Genesis 1:1?

Since the item you offer for study is *a sentence* what is any science supposed to do with it?

Two of the things in your sentence are outside the study range of science: "heaven" and "God". One a sort of place outside the realm of nature and the other a deity.

The final item "the Earth" is studied by science in various fields, but your single sentence doesn't provide any thing about it to study. (And *no* science doesn't study supernatural "creation" of things.)

Once again, you have created a thread on the science board, with only the thinnest connection to anything related to science.

(Though at least this time you single verse was at least a whole sentence rather than a fragment.)

Upvote 0

driewerf

a day at the Zoo
Mar 7, 2010
✟260,412.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is why I started this thread.

It's about one single verse, dealing with one single act of God, during one single day of creation, and questions on three -- that's ONLY THREE -- disciplines of science: astronomy, biology, and geology.

To say I "talk nonsense" is a cheap shot that does not respect this thread.
You will probably have some success in your safe space a.k.a. you church or Sunday school. But once you apply Genesis 1 to the physical world or try to apply good sciences to Genesis 1, what you write turns into nonsense.
Once you make statements about the physical world, a.k.a. reality, science's rules apply.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good fences make good friends, or as the late (and still so inspiring!) Stephen Jay Gould said, religion and science are Not Overlapping Magisteria. NOMA. Fine. Let religion squabble about the nature of the soul, the difference between Purgatory and Hell, the question whether someone can be safed by good works or by grace alone. Let the spiritual be religion’s Magisterium.
Not in this thread though, please.

Upvote 0