• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

My Dad got lost tonight

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by eastcoast_bsc, Jan 1, 2010.

1. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+8,797
    Christian
    My Dad who is 81 went out for a walk at 3:00 PM, and I arrived at 6:00 PM and he was not home, I know his habits and schedule, it was dark, his car was in the driveway, the house lights were not on, and I knew something was wrong.

I searched the house, and around the outside, I then got in my car ( it was now dark) and I called my sister, I was going to drive around the neighborhood, and see if he was around. I remember asking God to keep him safe. He suddenly walked by my car, and I jumped out, and helped him into the house.

I had to press him to admit, that he got disoriented, and then became lost. I was so stressed, because the same thing happened to my Mother, she got lost coming home on the subway from Boston, and died a long death from Ahlzheimers.

I do watch my Fathers cognitive skills, and he seems fine. He never had a good sense of direction, and always spaces out, when walking.

I noticed he looked scared, and he was cold, it broke my heart, to see him so vulnerable.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. G-Com

G-Com Traditional Catholic

+109
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Oh my gosh! :eek:

God was definitely looking our for him.

:prayer: for all of you.

3. Memento Mori

Memento Mori Guest

+0
    It's good to know it wasn't as bad as it could've been. Prayers!

4. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+8,797
    Christian
    Thanks guys, I do appreciate your good thoughts.

5. AngelicRose

AngelicRose Regular Member

+22
    Christian
    Private
    Thank God that he made it back home safely. I'm finding it hard to see my parents and other relatives age in front of my eyes. One of my relatives also has Alzheimer's and its been difficult to see her forget everyone.

May the Lord watch over your father :hug: :crossrc:

6. G-Com

+109
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    You're welcome. :) I forgot to ask: how is your dad now?

7. G-Com

+109
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    You're not alone. My mom is 81 and I'm a caregiver for her.

:amen:

8. Gwendolyn

Gwendolyn back in black

+1,533
    Catholic
    Private
    That is definitely scary, eastcoast. :( I am glad that your dad is safe.

My grandmother suffers from vascular dementia, which acts the same as Alzheimer's. I understand what it is like...

9. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+16,046
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Get him an I-Phone (Or other phone with GPS)
    That way He can still go for his walks, but can always find his way home.
    And worse case, you can find him by the cell phone.

Glad he is OK though.

10. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+8,797
    Christian

He is gingerly walking around the house, intermingled with naps. His legs bother him, and he has congestive heart, so it was a stress on him. He walked around for three hours, trying to find his way home.

I am thinking of getting one of those "Jitterbug" phones, that elderly can use.

I mean he still drives, and walks everyday, but 3 hours was taxing.

11. G-Com

+109
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Wow... I am glad he's alright.

I would advise that you try to convince him to give up driving.

A few years ago, my mom realized she should stop driving and sold her car without me having to convince her. It might be difficult and your dad might resent what he perceives as you interfering in his life, but I honestly think driving is one of the worst things for him to be doing.

I remember seeing a show ten years or so back where an elderly woman who had no license and somehow found her hidden keys went out driving one night and caused an accident and someone died.

My best friend's father (late 70's) was in an accident earlier this year. Thankfully there were no injuries. He's given up driving.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but if he got confused while walking, imagine if he got confused while driving.

The GPS is a good idea. Maybe there's something that he can wear around his neck or you can slip in his wallet for instance.

12. MrPolo

MrPolo Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20

+692
    Catholic
    Private
    Many prayers for you and your father.

13. MariaRegina

MariaRegina Well-Known Member

+12,119
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    O Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on your servant and save him.

14. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Supporter

+6,293
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    So glad to hear your father made it home well, that must have been frightening. Very sorry to hear on your mother.

15. Foundthelight

Foundthelight St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY Supporter

+255
    Catholic
    Married
    My uncle Fran went for a drive a few years ago and was found disoriented and confused in his car in front of a prison 200 miles from home two days later. Itis really scary for the family to have such things happen.

You are in my prayers.

16. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+9,473
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Prayers for your Dad, and for you.

I know that there have been new medications that help improve cognitive function that have probably been developed since your mother died, and so, even if your fears are realized, there may be better treatment options for your Dad.

May his guardian angel watch over him while you determine what, if any, modifications he may need to allow him to continue being independent.

17. bliz

bliz Contributor

+1,017
    Christian
    Married
    Any chance you could convince Dad to walk in the mornings? If he has Alzheimer's, his brain will tend to be much clearer in the morning than in the afternoon.

18. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+41,091
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    This happened to my grandma down in TN, not too long ago. Around 2AM. She has congestive heart failure too. Mom got a call from a neighbor & went over & found her outside in the rain laying on the ground & very confused & scared.

It is heartbreaking.

I will pray for you & your Dad. Pray for my Mom & Grandma. :crossrc:

19. JBMM

JBMM Islander

+29
    Catholic
    Private
    CA-Liberals
    Wow, that was a close call. My advice is to keep in touch for the next while, just to make sure he's not to shaken up about the whole ordeal. :)

20. battermyheart

battermyheart † Blessed Be Your Name †

+53
    Christian
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I'm so glad that you found him. :)

I'll be praying for him, you and your family. :crossrc: