USA
✟15,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My Dad who is 81 went out for a walk at 3:00 PM, and I arrived at 6:00 PM and he was not home, I know his habits and schedule, it was dark, his car was in the driveway, the house lights were not on, and I knew something was wrong.

I searched the house, and around the outside, I then got in my car ( it was now dark) and I called my sister, I was going to drive around the neighborhood, and see if he was around. I remember asking God to keep him safe. He suddenly walked by my car, and I jumped out, and helped him into the house.

I had to press him to admit, that he got disoriented, and then became lost. I was so stressed, because the same thing happened to my Mother, she got lost coming home on the subway from Boston, and died a long death from Ahlzheimers.

I do watch my Fathers cognitive skills, and he seems fine. He never had a good sense of direction, and always spaces out, when walking.

I noticed he looked scared, and he was cold, it broke my heart, to see him so vulnerable.
We bought my mother-in-law a tracking device for children (you've probably seen it advertised on tv). I leave her coat at the door and this devise is safety pinned into the back lining so she can't pull it out. All doors in my home are dead-bolted with a key placed "up-high" on the molding where she can't reach it. I will pray that your elderly father remains as lucid as he is now.:crosseo:

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I appreciate all the good thoughts , I really do. Today my Dad stayed home, and did not do his usual coffee shop visit. His legs were sore, he walked for three hours.

I shoveled his driveway and walk after the snow this morning, and then I went and bought him his coffee.

I don't believe he has Alzheimer's, He can still hold his own, in our Irish political battles. But he is 81, and when he is not in familiar territory, he tends to get slightly confused. This has happened twice, and both times, he did not follow his usual route, and kept walking, then it started getting dark, and he panicked.

But he pays all his own bills, and cooks his own dinner every night. I have not noticed any irregularities in this respect. So I think all is well. He is lucky though, last night was cold, and we got a half of snow.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Keeping his mind sharp (Political battles should do it :D ) helps from what I've read about Alzheimers.

My Wife's Mother has it and it's sad when you try to talk to her & she's asking where's so & so, or don't forget to get some food for PaPa (He's passed)

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Keeping his mind sharp (Political battles should do it :D ) helps from what I've read about Alzheimers.

My Wife's Mother has it and it's sad when you try to talk to her & she's asking where's so & so, or don't forget to get some food for PaPa (He's passed)

My Mother passed from Alzheimers, it is a very cruel disease. She suffered greatly. My Dad took care of her, and it at the time, almost cost him his health. That year was very tough, my brother died unexpectedly in November, and my Mother passed away in April. It was Psychologically draining.

Upvote 0

Adelie

Dec 22, 2009
✟7,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My Mother passed from Alzheimers, it is a very cruel disease. She suffered greatly. My Dad took care of her, and it at the time, almost cost him his health. That year was very tough, my brother died unexpectedly in November, and my Mother passed away in April. It was Psychologically draining.
Your father may simply have gotten confused. A worry and may be related to his age but not necessarily Alzheimers. Just watch in the future for some sort of demetia. Not to scare you I hope you know, just to look for it.

I am so sorry about your mother and brother. Big hugs for you!
May they both rest in peace!
:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Feisty_Angel

Please pray for us - Much Needed Rain !!
May 13, 2006
So. California
✟13,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I am so very sorry !! It's not only psychologically draining, but physically as well. My prayers for you and your family !!!
:hug:

Your father may simply have gotten confused. A worry and may be related to his age but not necessarily Alzheimers. Just watch in the future for some sort of demetia. Not to scare you I hope you know, just to look for it.

I am so sorry about your mother and brother. Big hugs for you!
May they both rest in peace!
:crossrc:

Also in my prayers, and Big :hug:'s to you both !!

Cross-word puzzles are also very good. And you may want to consider getting a physical/check-up with his primary care physician.

May God bless and protect him and you.

:prayer:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

G-Com

Traditional Catholic
Nov 7, 2008
Trenton, OH
✟17,122.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am so sorry. :( :crossrc: for everyone there.

Praise God your dad is safe. Praying for him.
I know it is hard on us that have an aging parent, my heart goes out to you and prayers for you also.
I can't imagine mom not being around. :cry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums