✟829,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Evolution means change-over-time.

It applies to galaxies and species and that leftover lasagna in your fridge.

But there's no particular connection between that molding Italian food and the biological theory of evolution.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But there's no particular connection between that molding Italian food and the biological theory of evolution.
I take it the theory of evolution (or cosmic evolution, as some call it) is broken down into seven sub-theories (for lack of a better word).

But when people speak of "evolution," the default position is biological evolution.

Not stellar evolution, not chemical evolution ... biological evolution.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But when people speak of "evolution," the default position is biological evolution.

Not stellar evolution, not chemical evolution ... biological evolution.

Yes.* Especially on the "Creation & Evolution" board.

*Except for the kinds of people who play deceptive word games.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems to me it should be a matter of choice, don't you think?

If not, where's the rule of thumb that says:

THOU SHALT NOT USE THE WORD EVOLUTION OUTSIDE OF BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION

(I'm serious about this question. Do they teach that default position in the classroom?)

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Seems to me it should be a matter of choice, don't you think?

If not, where's the rule of thumb that says:

THOU SHALT NOT USE THE WORD EVOLUTION OUTSIDE OF BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION

(I'm serious about this question. Do they teach that default position in the classroom?)

Great goofballs non-serious person.

All of those other things *DO* use the word "evolution", they just don't us it unmodified (stellar, chemical, etc.). It is only in biology that the term is used without modifier.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All of those other things *DO* use the word "evolution", they just don't us it unmodified (stellar, chemical, etc.). It is only in biology that the term is used without modifier.
I think we're both in agreement here.

I'm just wondering if that's a rule, or an unwritten rule?

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
There are a few differences between theistic evolution and the ToE. The main ones are the ToE is silent about anything that has to do with God or Adam and Eve. Josh Swamidass' book the Gemological Adam & Eve was an attempt to bridge the gap at least for A&E and his book did receive endorsements from several atheists and theologians.
That’s because it is science not religion. Science does not address religious beliefs. Theistic evolution would be based on religion and would not be science and therefore not actually about evolution.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That’s because it is science not religion. Science does not address religious beliefs. Theistic evolution would be based on religion and would not be science and therefore not actually about evolution.
I agree it is the addition of religion that makes it Theistic evolution. The non-scientific religious belief is God as the ultimate cause which is accepted by nearly every Christian believer and which is not part of the ToE. Biblical liberalism is just as opposed to Theistic evolution as they are to the ToE so we should continue to remind them that they are a secular minority among Christians.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,534.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I agree it is the addition of religion that makes it Theistic evolution. The non-scientific religious belief is God as the ultimate cause which is accepted by nearly every Christian believer and which is not part of the ToE. Biblical liberalism is just as opposed to Theistic evolution as they are to the ToE so we should continue to remind them that they are a secular minority among Christians.
Did you mean biblical literalism rather than liberalism? I would have thought the Biblical liberals would be in favour of both ToE and Theistic evolution. Or, do I just not understand the terminology correctly?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,534.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I will challenge you on that. The ability of the mold to extract nourisment from that Italian food and to have secured a spot on the food in the first place, is overwhelmingly the result of biological evolution.

• Haha
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums