Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For those of you who know your history, please put the following list in chronological order and give me the name of someone whom you think should be the poster child for each one.

Or just put the list in chronological order, if you don't have a poster child for each one.

Here's the list:
  1. Flat Earthism
  2. Geocentrism
  3. Young Earth Creationism
  4. Gap Theory
  5. Day-Age Theory
  6. Progressive Creation
  7. Theistic Evolution
  8. Atheistic Evolution

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For those of you who know your history, please put the following list in chronological order and give me the name of someone whom you think should be the poster child for each one.

Or just put the list in chronological order, if you don't have a poster child for each one.

Here's the list:
  1. Flat Earthism
  2. Geocentrism
  4. Gap Theory
  5. Day-Age Theory
  6. Progressive Creation
  7. Theistic Evolution
  8. Atheistic Evolution
I am repeating my comment from another thread.

Atheistic Evolution is a creationist misnomer. I don't know of anyone other than creationists who refer to evolution as atheistic. It was unfortunate that I glanced over it on the image, I should have blanked out Atheist.

Background:
Francis Collins describes theistic evolution as the position that "evolution is real, but that it was set in motion by God", and characterizes it as accepting "that evolution occurred as biologists describe it, but under the direction of God".

Whoever created the original image likely wanted to distinguish between Theistic evolution and Evolution which does not make any claim about God. A better term for that purpose would have been Agnostic Evolution, but even that has problems because you don't need to be an atheist or agnostic or even a Christian to affirm evolution.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am repeating my comment from another thread.
Your attempts to stealth atheism is noted, Frank.

If it bothers you so much, just consider it a jargon.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
A little off the subject but already brought up by a poster.

The Theory of Evolution is a valid scientific theory having all of the required attributes of such. There is no such thing as atheistic evolution as the question of G-d is not nor should it be a question for science. Whether or not a person accepts evolution may be a religious question but the theory itself does not address the issue.

I absolutely believe in G-d and the ToE in no way contradicts that belief.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your attempts to stealth atheism is noted, Frank.

If it bothers you so much, just consider it a jargon.
There is nothing to stealth other than your inability to accept that that a majority of Christians have zero problem with evolution and it is only the creationists Christians that have the problem.

You are basing you total argument on an image that contained the words "Atheistic Evolution" w/o knowing where it came from or who created it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Theory of Evolution is a valid scientific theory having all of the required attributes of such.
I'll agree that it has all the requirements of a theory.
ruthiesea said:
There is no such thing as atheistic evolution ...
I think it would show good conversational maturity though to at least use the term as a jargon for the sake of Occam's razor.

Kinda like "sunrise" or "sunset" or "moonshine."

Employing the term "atheistic evolution" distinguishes it from "theistic evolution."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing to stealth other than your inability to accept that that a majority of Christians have zero problem with evolution and it is only the creationists Christians that have the problem.

You are basing you total argument on an image that contained the words "Atheistic Evolution" w/o knowing where it came from or who created it.
If you don't want to chronologize the OP, Frank, don't.

I'm not interested in why.

If English bothers you so much, then speak in tongues or something.

For Pete's sake at least consider idioglossia or neologisms or something.

At the very least, accept it as a coined term for the sake of satisfying the OP.

Of course, if maturity is getting in the way, then go ahead and make up some inability I seem to have, if it'll make you feel better.

That's why I call these things "challenges."

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't want to chronologize the OP, Frank, don't.

I'm not interested in why.

If English bothers you so much, then speak in tongues or something.

For Pete's sake at least consider idioglossia or neologisms or something.

At the very least, accept it as a coined term for the sake of satisfying the OP.

Of course, if maturity is getting in the way, then go ahead and make up some inability I seem to have, if it'll make you feel better.

That's why I call these things "challenges."
Again: You are basing you total argument on an image that contained the words "Atheistic Evolution" w/o knowing where it came from or who created it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again: You are basing you total argument on an image that contained the words "Atheistic Evolution" w/o knowing where it came from or who created it.
Who ... cares ... where ... I ... got ... it ... or ... who ... created ... it?

Please ... just ... put ... the ... lousy ... terms ... in ... chronological ... order ... or ... drop ... it.

Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: Torah Keeper
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here's the list:
  1. Flat Earthism
  2. Geocentrism
  4. Gap Theory
  5. Day-Age Theory
  6. Progressive Creation
  7. Theistic Evolution
  8. Atheistic Evolution

1. Flat Earthism - Wile E. Cayote
  2. Geocentrism - Jiddu Krishnamurti
  3. Young Earth Creationism - Herman's Hermits
  4. Gap Theory - Alfred E Neuman
  5. Day-Age Theory - Wurzel Gummage
  6. Progressive Creation - Anyone suffering from dysania
  7. Theistic Evolution - God
  8. Atheistic Evolution - someone who is overfond of adjectives

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm definitely theistic evolution. I am a theist and believe the evidence for evolution is convincing. Honestly, when I came faith, I was surprised evolution was an issue. I wasn't brought up in a home where Christianity and science were seen as incompatible. My father was a pastor and supported my interest in science. I came to faith later, and yet I still don't really understand the supposed problem.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,229.00
Faith
Atheist
Employing the term "atheistic evolution" distinguishes it from "theistic evolution."
Simply calling it 'evolution' is sufficient. As a scientific theory, not invoking deities is implicit. Calling it 'atheistic evolution' smacks of a deliberate attempt to provoke and confuse, i.e. trolling, and I hope you wouldn't want to give that impression.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟830,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nevermind ... just nevermind.

I get it, you and many like you think theistic evolution is absurd, but it's not. What bothers me is too many Christians think you can't believe evolution is right and still be Christian. If you want to know why droves of young folks are leaving the faith, that kind of rigidity is playing a significant part. You have God wrapped in a box God didn't create, and reject the creation God has given in favor of an ideology. Christians will rue the day they gave up humility for idolatrous certainty. Well, it's already happening. Enjoy the absurd because y'all have created it in your own image.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟294,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Then you should call it "scientific evolution" as "theistic evolution" is a just a borrowing of some scientific ideas (evolution) and slathering religion all over it. If your "evolution" requires divine intervention it just isn't science.

Upvote 0