Lover of many things
May 9, 2011
Australia
Visit site
✟15,236.00
Faith
Christian
Corinthians 1:7 12-15
'But to the rest I say, not the Lord, that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he must not divorce her. And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy. Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.'

I just also want to tell you that you obversely love this person. Although you have gone and put god first and have looked for what Is right in his eyes. For that, you should hang on to this man.

And about your relationship: Would you look the other way if your mother wasn't a Christian? Would you ignore your father if God wasn't his lord? If this man loves you and you love him then stay with him. Teach him about the lord in a way that Is comfortable for him.

And is it not a bad thing if your partner is not a Christian? If you can bring him to the lord then he may not have known god if not for your relationship. If you gave up on him then he may of gone down a different path.

Pray for the situation and keep on seeking for what god has planned for you and your partner.

God bless,
Dave.

Upvote 0

Shannon4237

Jan 19, 2010
West Virginia
✟7,663.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Pray Pray Pray, ask others to pray. Me and my boyfriend were together two years before he finally got the idea through my thick head. And after I was saved, he told me he had comtinuously prayed for months before I was saved.Talk him with you, Dont push just show him things. The lord will put pressure on him in the right time, and everything will fall into place if its his will. Its all in his timing. Praying for yall

Reactions: dude99
Upvote 0

40creek

And This Happened How?
Mar 5, 2011
Northern Alberta Ca.
✟8,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
i think you should try to bring him to church with you but he shouldnt want to be a christian for YOU. He should want to be a Christian for CHRIST.

Any reason is OK to go to church. If your reasons are not sincere time may change his heart. Remnember the old saying, "If you act a certain way long enough you become that way".

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2011
✟15,147.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I say this with all sympathy and am not trying to be a snob or anything, but honestly because I think you will be best off, but I think you should break up with him.

The reasons you have given are all of the reasons why believers should not date unbelievers. Ultimately our relationship with God is by-far the most important relationship we will ever have. I've had friends who are girls who have gone through this, and they have all made the hard decision to break up with their unbelieving boyfriend. They would all agree that it was the right choice.

Even more important in a relationship the guy should be the spiritual leader. That obviously can't be the case if the guy in a relationship is an unbeliever.

Hopefully this video will help (I love this guy)
YouTube - Is it a sin to date a non-Christian?

This isn't to say that you can't be friends or anything, but a dating relationship is just such a close relationship that it really is something avoiding with unbelievers. Be friends with him, share the Gospel, and pray for him, but I think dating is just not a good idea. I'm only telling you that I think you should break up because in the long run I think it will save you from a world of pain. I also think that you're missing out on dating a great Christian guy who will share your love for God.
Two things disgust me here. One being that you are advocating she breaks up with her boyfriend over something as trivial as religion, and second that you are saying that the man is the spiritual leader; what makes you think that? I find that statement very sexist.

Upvote 0

Lindseyk

It gets better.
Dec 25, 2011
United States
✟15,187.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i have been in that situation of having a lover that is not a christian.
it is hard.
especially when you want to worship or go to church.
they sometimes dont believe that you are serious either.

i had a boyfriend who thought i had faith for attention.
and he told me if i went to church he would be angry.

its those people in life who are not good for a person of faith.
what you need to do is weigh the pros and cons.
is this person really good for me?
or are they jeperdizing my way of life.

think about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
So, I'm going to speak about this issue from a totally different point of view. I'm not an Atheist, nor am I a Christian. I used to be a Christian, but a lot has changed since then. I no longer believe that the Church (the establishment) is a good thing. It was never an institution in the days in which Scripture was written- it was merely a body of believers. Now, church is a business that has been corrupted by many Pagan traditions and doctrines. I do not believe that you should take your boyfriend to church.
The church should not be the deciding factor of whether your boyfriend wishes to believe or not. It should be his decision and be solely based upon his own reflection regarding who he is as a person. I know too many people that are only Christians because of the social aspect of it. I'll tell you, they are bad examples of the faith, but they are everywhere (at least where I live.) If you want your boyfriend to believe, I say you talk to him one on one about it. Grow in your own faith, and share with him your findings and revelations about Scriptural things. Do not put doctrine on him- most of it is man-made anyway. Have him investigate the Bible for himself, have him do some soul searching. In the end, the only one who can determine whether he believes or not is the young man himself. You can maybe influence him and have him think about it a little more. But, do not expect to convert him.

NEVER shove anything down his throat. I went to a "Christian" school (which was admittedly the worst place I've ever been in my life.). The teachers there were all die-hard Lutherans. Like, they were hardcore. For example, my theology teacher did not care for me so much because I was not Lutheran, even though I could name nearly every amount of information about the Bible. They were unforgiving to anyone who did not conform to their interpretations of Scripture. There were numerous Agnostic kids there, amongst other belief systems, and the teachers would constantly try to shove Christianity down their throats.
Many became atheists due to this, many became extremely angry and rebellious toward the teachers as well. It hurt more than it helped.
In the end, what I'm saying is this: It's up to your boyfriend to choose whether he wishes to conform to your set of beliefs or not. Talk to him one on one, and he'll eventually decide which path he will take.
If he chooses to shake off your belief system and follow his own path, then it's up to you to determine whether or not you should continue dating him. I, personally, do not recommend being with someone who shares a different set of beliefs simply because you will stumble upon disagreements that may shake your relationship to pieces. However, you may feel differently about the matter.

Upvote 0

Bchapel35

Jan 10, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Typed this up before I saw just how old this topic is. @.@ I'd just delete it, except this was posted in fairly recently...

In the future, I'll be more careful about checking dates. Sorry. :doh:

-------
Significant theological and philosophical differences will certainly be a serious barrier in any relationship. But I think it need not be an insurmountable one. If you truly love someone, you should seek to understand them, and if they love you, they should try to understand you. (What am I saying? That should really be universal... >.>)

I think many Christians tend to feel threatened for themselves and for others in a world that... well, frankly, in a world we don't exactly rule anymore. But if your faith is strong, you should not be afraid to hear all ideas with an open mind, and consider them seriously to decide your opinion, instead of simply going with whatever the community at large has to say.

I'm a little disturbed by a few who are saying that religion is something that should be considered trivial. It's coming primarily from non-religious people, and it seems to imply they don't understand the significance a person's faith can have. If it weren't an important aspect of her life (or she didn't want it to be), the OP probably wouldn't be concerned with it. A person's faith often defines their beliefs about morality, and what a relationship should mean, and disagreements on those matters in particular would be reasonable grounds for ending a romantic relationship. Not wanting to pursue a relationship with someone you differ with too heavily on theological grounds is not "intolerant".

If you really love him, and want to pursue a relationship, I don't think you should let purely theological differences be enough to let a relationship fail. If you disagree on the nature or existence of God, but generally agree on such issues as right and wrong, and what your relationship means to you, for example, then you shouldn't let it stand between you. If you have a conflict that stems from something more 'tangible', you're going to have to make a decision about whether or not holding to the relationship will conflict with your values.

I also disagree with those claiming that you shouldn't be concerned with a serious relationship at your age. Of course you shouldn't go into a relationship (depending on how exactly it starts, I suppose) with the expectation of it developing into a lifetime commitment, marriage, and potentially a family. But you also shouldn't enter into one if you don't have some hope of it becoming that in the future.

If you want to try and bring him to Christianity, then good luck to you. But you shouldn't let the decision to continue or end your relationship rest solely on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tjc2496

Dec 27, 2011
Ithaca, New York
✟7,707.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello!
Yes, you've read that right, my boyfriend is not a Christian- but I love him. We are comfortable with each other, and we've been together for 13months now. But as time pass, the more I am willing to dedicate myself to Jesus, the more I am interested to know new stuffs in the bible, and I am happy that finally my faith is growing. In almost everything in my life this guy is always the one I talk to, I've always been honest and sincere to him- but this time, all I want to talk about is the Bible, I see he is open-minded to what I am sharing to him- but he acts none like a Christian even after all. I feel wrong for the intimacy we have and I want him to understand... I want my only bestfriend and lover in this world to know Christ and follow him. How can I do that?

Well I got to agree with Pastor Mark Driscoll on this one. Might not be a sin, but not a good idea. I'd advise to break it off soon. Of course it would hurt, but it won't hurt as much if you date him a couple more years. Here is why,
2 Corinthians 6:14- Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
My question would be, why date him if you only will have to break up with him? It will hurt you a lot more later than sooner. I commend you for the convictions you've been having about this! It's always good to ask those questions. Now for his salvation... I've seen this situation before, well in my own family even. I think 2 scenarios would play out.
1. He has nothing to do with Christianity, but won't interfere with you and respects it....
2. He'll "become" a Christian, just so you won't break up with him... Unfortunately I've seen this way too much..
You don't win people to Christ by kissing them, sorry :p

So I'd say, break up with him, but still maintain a friendship. Still, be careful because there will be lingering feelings of course! You could invite him to church, youth group, any activity that is around mainly Christians.
1 Corinthians 15:33- Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”
Soo I'd make sure not to hang around him all the time because of the stated above..
I'll be praying for you, God bless :)

Upvote 0

Tjc2496

Dec 27, 2011
Ithaca, New York
✟7,707.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Typed this up before I saw just how old this topic is. @.@ I'd just delete it, except this was posted in fairly recently...

In the future, I'll be more careful about checking dates. Sorry. :doh:

Lol I didn't check either, :p
It was at the top of the forums... lol I assumed it was relatively recent :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not your choice to influence the religious beliefs of others, that is a choice that they must make for themselves.
Mark 16.15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Matt 28.18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

These are not just suggestions. They are COMMANDS for every believer. We are SUPPOSED to challenge and influence the beliefs and practices of everyone around us.

Upvote 0