Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I have a little black nightshade plant that I started from a clipping. Don't have a picture right now. They grow wild around here. The berries are like a mix between a tomato and blue berry, about the size of a blue berry but the plant looks like a tomato plant. Most people are weary of them because of the name. My berries just recently got ripe.

There are other plants that look similar that are POISONOUS but once you get to know the plant they are unmistakable.

This is what the plant looks like - Not my plant.

Solanum-nigrum-1200x800.jpg

Last edited:

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Yeah you want to be carefull when trying wild edibles. If you're not sure, GO WITH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS! I am not responsible for anyone else's decisions. I'm just posting information I've learned about plants and I'm not recommending that anyone goes out foraging for wild plants.

Just had to put that out there respectfully.

They have an odd taste, unique to that plant, reminiscent to a tomato but a little sweet. I've had some that tasted HORRIBLE and I've had some growing right next to seawater that were really sweet. They have a slight bitterness if that's the right word, but I think its the unique flavor of the plant. The seeds look just like tomato seeds.

Ill have to post about more wild edibles in my area. There's stinging nettle, super nutritious and good if you cook it right. Also has alot of protein. Fennel stalks, super delicious, everything celery isnt, Manzanita berries, Madrone berries also cattail and rush plants, Ill stop there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah you want to be carefull when trying wild edibles. If you're not sure, GO WITH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS! I am not responsible for anyone else's decisions. I'm just posting information I've learned about plants and I'm not recommending that anyone goes out foraging for wild plants.

Just had to put that out there respectfully.

They have an odd taste, unique to that plant, reminiscent to a tomato but a little sweet. I've had some that tasted HORRIBLE and I've had some growing right next to seawater that were really sweet. They have a slight bitterness if that's the right word, but I think its the unique flavor of the plant. The seeds look just like tomato seeds.

Ill have to post about more wild edibles in my area. There's stinging nettle, super nutritious and good if you cook it right. Also has alot of protein. Fennel stalks, super delicious, everything celery isnt, Manzanita berries, Madrone berries also cattail and rush plants, Ill stop there.
I remember my first encounter with Stinging Nettle - grabbed a big one without gloves and realized my mistake quickly and had numb hands for an hour or two.

That sent me to Wikipedia to research them a bit, and got lost in the chemical makeup of their needle antihistamine. To be really honest I would count that as one of my first spiritual understandings - i.e. this random weed encapsulating such gorgeous, unbelievable complexity in just its little needles alone, springing from the earth with zero attention by cultivating hands. It was worth the discomfort :grinning:

Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I remember my first encounter with Stinging Nettle - grabbed a big one without gloves and realized my mistake quickly and had numb hands for an hour or two.

That sent me to Wikipedia to research them a bit, and got lost in the chemical makeup of their needle antihistamine. To be really honest I would count that as one of my first spiritual understandings - i.e. this random weed encapsulating such gorgeous, unbelievable complexity in just its little needles alone, springing from the earth with zero attention by cultivating hands. It was worth the discomfort :grinning:

pretty amazing. The needles are hypodermic. I've heard the stings are good for your kidneys. The plant also creates sodium bicarbonate when its at the end of the season, when it has flowers, which is why your not supposed to eat it when its fully grown.

Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
---Never go foraging without an expert---

People are weary because of the name "Nightshade" but potatoes and tomatoes are part of the nightshade family. Black nightshade is like the original ancestor of the family, it seems to me.

I'm fascinated by wild edible plants. The Chumash lived around here. I think its interesting learning about the local plants they survived on. I also found a arrowhead lately right in the middle of the trail!

Black Nightshade

Solanaceae_Solanum_nigrum.jpg

Deadly Nightshade
atropa.jpg

Deadly Nightshade: Berries grow individually not in clusters, flowers are purple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Seems like something they could use medicinally?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums