Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you <3 I know this is gonna be a long journey for me. I kinda meditate on what I need, does that count as silent prayer?
Meditation is necessary and good. But it should be mixed with what the word of God, the Bible, says, and periodically it should be turned outward to God. This is a soil, seed, and water scenario making for good growth.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,103,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Woah lol I'm not nervous because he'll run off, he's very much a Christian and I'm very glad for him but I'm nervous BECAUSE he's so deep in it, and I'm not. Like, I feel like I need to catch up in a sense? It's nothing to do with him not wanting to do it with me.

I'm not looking for a lukewarm congregation, but I'm looking for a community that's a little more gentle I guess? I'm not an aggressive person and every Baptist person I've met is aggressive haha

This is good news. I'm happy for you.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Now I'm wondering, what else do people make up? How do I know I'm in a good church or Christian community when I see people twisting the Bible for what it is? It's always suggested to be in a Christian community, but how can I when I struggle to trust it?

Are you sure you're not just demanding that a gathering of believers and it's leadership has to be absolutely perfect before you'll join in? In all the churches I've been a part of in close to 60 years there's never been one that I totally and absolutely agree with everything and how they define things. If everyone waited for that I think Jesus would come first.

Upvote 0

gentlejah

Jan 4, 2017
Ontario
✟17,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you.
Another question would be is it/why is it required to go to church and pray? He watches us and knows our heart right? Why is it important to pray and do I have to all the time? I just..I pray but not daily you know? I feel like he sees me and knows what I need, so I don’t pray unless I feel like it’s about something important if that makes sense.

A young boy once asked St Therese of Lisieux what was the point of praying when God already knows our needs and what we will say. Her answer was 'of course He knows but He pretends not to because He is your Father and loves talking to you.'

I thought that was one of the sweetest and most profound things I've ever heard.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you sure you're not just demanding that a gathering of believers and it's leadership has to be absolutely perfect before you'll join in? In all the churches I've been a part of in close to 60 years there's never been one that I totally and absolutely agree with everything and how they define things. If everyone waited for that I think Jesus would come first.
This isn't about the church or people in it being perfect, but about teaching the Bible for what it is.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A young boy once asked St Therese of Lisieux what was the point of praying when God already knows our needs and what we will say. Her answer was 'of course He knows but He pretends not to because He is your Father and loves talking to you.'

I thought that was one of the sweetest and most profound things I've ever heard.
I like that. Thank you <3

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,332.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This isn't about the church or people in it being perfect, but about teaching the Bible for what it is.
Even with that. You might not find they're totally perfect. No reason one can't fellowship with them.
The issue is what Bible subject are you talking about?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟908,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I came here to talk 2 years ago and I just sort of fell off. But I'm back to ask more questions.

I came from a Christian family and one of the things I heard from distant relatives was to date in your race. Obviously I fact checked with a pastor friend and he said it was a made up thing for racists to justify their beliefs. I went to many various Baptist churches and I quit going to them and started reaching for nondenom churches because every time I went to a Baptist church it was always something along the lines of "if you mess up or sin, you'll go to hell. Point blank." And I don't believe that's right either, because God believes in second chances and people repenting, right? So why would someone go to hell in a snap for a sin?

Now I'm wondering, what else do people make up? How do I know I'm in a good church or Christian community when I see people twisting the Bible for what it is? It's always suggested to be in a Christian community, but how can I when I struggle to trust it?
A Christian can never completely trust others for teaching. Best to pray to the Lord to give you the gift of discernment through His Holy Spirit so that your walk is on the narrow road. Fact checking through scripture ,as you have done, is the best way to start. Divine revelation through the power of the Holy Spirit is the next step. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Rachel Rachel

Messianic/Church of God 7th Day
Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2013
In the middle
✟328,556.78
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So I came here to talk 2 years ago and I just sort of fell off. But I'm back to ask more questions.

I came from a Christian family and one of the things I heard from distant relatives was to date in your race. Obviously I fact checked with a pastor friend and he said it was a made up thing for racists to justify their beliefs. I went to many various Baptist churches and I quit going to them and started reaching for nondenom churches because every time I went to a Baptist church it was always something along the lines of "if you mess up or sin, you'll go to hell. Point blank." And I don't believe that's right either, because God believes in second chances and people repenting, right? So why would someone go to hell in a snap for a sin?

You know by reading your Bible cover to cover. NEVER blindly follow any denomination. Read your Bible, then find a church that is the most Biblically correct.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you marry someone of your own race it will be easier to adjust after marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari_magdel

Bible hugger
Jun 14, 2020
Missouri
Visit site
✟19,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hello,
Welcome back. I’m new here, but I agree with you. It’s difficult to trust a community with so many splits. It’s confusion at its finest. I read the Bible for myself. I read it from front to back to help me find a congregation I can trust. I recommend you do the same. I also prayed to know if I personally did anything wrong or offensive towards our Father. With these two actions I have been led down a fantastic journey through my faith. I am blessed for it. I hope this helps!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Mari_magdel

Bible hugger
Jun 14, 2020
Missouri
Visit site
✟19,280.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.
Another question would be is it/why is it required to go to church and pray? He watches us and knows our heart right? Why is it important to pray and do I have to all the time? I just..I pray but not daily you know? I feel like he sees me and knows what I need, so I don’t pray unless I feel like it’s about something important if that makes sense.
All your answers are in the word. Praying is a personal thing and a wonderful way to communicate with our Heavenly Father. I have never read in the Bible or been told by anyone that I have to pray only in a church. I know that we pray in services together as a whole, but it’s not the only place to do so. Praying daily is a must for me. Some in the Bible prayed up to three times in a day! Our Master and Christ gave us the prayer to say and told us to do it in secret. Our rewards will be great for doing what He taught.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I suppose the thing to remember is all churches will fall short.

However, there is quite a bit of corruption these days in the churches falling short of teaching Christ and who he is. Rather they are conformed to the ways of the world, teaching whatever the world wants to hear.

It is hard. But perhaps search for a church that teaches Jesus first.

I don’t think you have to trust churches rather just trust the Lord and ask him to teach you personally not relying on an institution.

Fellowship is important though but hard as most people are conformed to the world. Same thing with the churches.

Maybe just go for the fellowship and find one friend. In a bible study perhaps.

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this a denomination, or is this just a thing outside of denominations? I’ve heard of many denominations and organizations and groups but not this.

You DO NOT need a flat earth believing church for God’s sake. Don’t get caught up in the flat earth lie.

Also we pray daily to build a relationship with God. Would you go to a friend when you only needed something important from them?

No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Let us settle one issue immediately. People do not go to hell for sin. People go to hell because they reject teh death and resurrection of Jesus for their sins, and thus have to pay for them themselves! Jesus already has paid the price for all your sins. That does not give us license to sin- but sets us free to learn to live as God designed us to- to serve HIm.

In these last days it can be a daunting task to find a good solid bible believing bible preaching church. But if your preacher is preaching major false doctrine then you should find a stronger church. NO church is perfect and we will disagree with things in any place we go to worship sooner or later. If it is not a big iossue- we must overlook it! People are imperfect and believers are people. We must practice 1 Cor. 13. God will not judge our conduct on the basis of how others are, but how we sought to live according to HIs Word!

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

You don't trust man, you trust Jesus and His Holy Spirit. And you test out what is being said by God's Word, no matter who it is. And guess what? People can make up things, we ourselves do it too. This is the battle of the flesh we have to kill everyday. And the same mercy that God gave you whenever you mess up, we are commanded to give to others just as much. Not saying that it justified in what they said to you, however they are not your enemies, the Devil is.Don't make them that. In all that you said at least from just what you're telling us, you've consulted the pastor, the people in the church, your friend, but I don't hear you mention about you consulting Jesus on it.Try to make Him your first go-to on things.

Christian community is much more bigger than just the people in your community, so it wouldn't be wise to start to discourage yourself from being in one. There is such a thing as the "wheat and the tares"among our community (Matthew 13) and God will handle it.We still need each other to sharpen each other in the faith and hold each other in prayer, because the World will NOT do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You don't trust man, you trust Jesus and His Holy Spirit. And you test out what is being said by God's Word, no matter who it is. And guess what? People can make up things, we ourselves do it too. This is the battle of the flesh we have to kill everyday. And the same mercy that God gave you whenever you mess up, we are commanded to give to others just as much. Not saying that it justified in what they said to you, however they are not your enemies, the Devil is.Don't make them that. In all that you said at least from just what you're telling us, you've consulted the pastor, the people in the church, your friend, but I don't hear you mention about you consulting Jesus on it.Try to make Him your first go-to on things.

Christian community is much more bigger than just the people in your community, so it wouldn't be wise to start to discourage yourself from being in one. There is such a thing as the "wheat and the tares"among our community (Matthew 13) and God will handle it.We still need each other to sharpen each other in the faith and hold each other in prayer, because the World will NOT do that.

This was the most helpful. Thank you.

If you marry someone of your own race it will be easier to adjust after marriage.
I'd like you to elaborate on that. Are you saying if I marry my black boyfriend it would be more difficult? How so?

Even with that. You might not find they're totally perfect. No reason one can't fellowship with them.
The issue is what Bible subject are you talking about?

What I was getting at is if I read the Bible and need to go to someone for questions and what I'm seeing is people making things up to justify sin or to justify something awful like racism, how am I to trust them when I'm on a genuine path to learn about God and seek understanding? But like I said, Salt N Light helped with that answer.

I apologize for the late reply, I've been going through some things offline.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like you to elaborate on that. Are you saying if I marry my black boyfriend it would be more difficult? How so?

I didn't mean skin colour. I meant if you marry someone who is not from your country or faith you might have some adjustment issues later on. That's all.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Put the Lord Jesus first in your life and thoughts, and walk and talk with Him daily. That is what will save your soul and please God -our Father. You might visit the sound Bible-only site at Biblecounsel.net and ask questions there too.

Upvote 0