Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I came here to talk 2 years ago and I just sort of fell off. But I'm back to ask more questions.

I came from a Christian family and one of the things I heard from distant relatives was to date in your race. Obviously I fact checked with a pastor friend and he said it was a made up thing for racists to justify their beliefs. I went to many various Baptist churches and I quit going to them and started reaching for nondenom churches because every time I went to a Baptist church it was always something along the lines of "if you mess up or sin, you'll go to hell. Point blank." And I don't believe that's right either, because God believes in second chances and people repenting, right? So why would someone go to hell in a snap for a sin?

Now I'm wondering, what else do people make up? How do I know I'm in a good church or Christian community when I see people twisting the Bible for what it is? It's always suggested to be in a Christian community, but how can I when I struggle to trust it?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So I came here to talk 2 years ago and I just sort of fell off. But I'm back to ask more questions.

I came from a Christian family and one of the things I heard from distant relatives was to date in your race. Obviously I fact checked with a pastor friend and he said it was a made up thing for racists to justify their beliefs. I went to many various Baptist churches and I quit going to them and started reaching for nondenom churches because every time I went to a Baptist church it was always something along the lines of "if you mess up or sin, you'll go to hell. Point blank." And I don't believe that's right either, because God believes in second chances and people repenting, right? So why would someone go to hell in a snap for a sin?

Now I'm wondering, what else do people make up? How do I know I'm in a good church or Christian community when I see people twisting the Bible for what it is? It's always suggested to be in a Christian community, but how can I when I struggle to trust it?
Generally, if it's not in scripture, does not follow the principle of "love does not harm their neighbour," (Romans 13) and it's something people simply want to hear in exchange for their offering - it has been made up.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get the sense God heard that as a prayer.

I pray it happens for you.
Thank you.
Another question would be is it/why is it required to go to church and pray? He watches us and knows our heart right? Why is it important to pray and do I have to all the time? I just..I pray but not daily you know? I feel like he sees me and knows what I need, so I don’t pray unless I feel like it’s about something important if that makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.
Another question would be is it/why is it required to go to church and pray? He watches us and knows our heart right? Why is it important to pray and do I have to all the time? I just..I pray but not daily you know? I feel like he sees me and knows what I need, so I don’t pray unless I feel like it’s about something important if that makes sense.
We gather for fellowship. It relates to having a community you can trust. Trust is a big deal in the faith, since it is the same as faith.

Having people you can rely on that amplify your faith and trust in God really helps in spiritual growth. Having people to pray in agreement with you helps a lot too since God works through our trust or faith in Him, more faith, more for God to work through.

Upvote 0

J0A0

May 12, 2020
Benbrook
✟18,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Read Paul’s epistles, I think those provide the best framework for how a church should operate. I’d also suggest researching the New Apostolic Reformation, and if you find a church that believes in all that, stay far away. Even if there’s just a hint of NAR, just leave.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We gather for fellowship. It relates to having a community you can trust. Trust is a big deal in the faith, since it is the same as faith.

Having people you can rely on that amplify your faith and trust in God really helps in spiritual growth. Having people to pray in agreement with you helps a lot too since God works through our trust or faith in Him, more faith, more for God to work through.

Would praying with my boyfriend be a good step? I always feel anxious about asking him. I don’t know why

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Would praying with my boyfriend be a good step? I always feel anxious about asking him. I don’t know why
I'd recommend to definitely pray with him.

Since relationships are also about trust, praying together can really build that and sometimes reveal points of discussion also.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd recommend to definitely pray with him.

Since relationships are also about trust, praying together can really build that and sometimes reveal points of discussion also.
Thank you. Maybe I’ll try to ask him later. I feel kinda anxious about asking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

You need a, free grace flat earth teaching church, but sadly there are none or at least i do not know of one.

So the closest would be a free grace church. here is a link ( Grace Evangelical Society ) to a free grace group, on their website they have a church tracker you may can find a free grace church near you.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You need a, free grace flat earth teaching church, but sadly there are none or at least i do not know of one.

So the closest would be a free grace church. here is a link ( Grace Evangelical Society ) to a free grace group, on their website they have a church tracker you may can find a free grace church near you.
Is this a denomination, or is this just a thing outside of denominations? I’ve heard of many denominations and organizations and groups but not this.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Is this a denomination, or is this just a thing outside of denominations? I’ve heard of many denominations and organizations and groups but not this.

No this would not be classed as a denomination (like Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.. . )

Free grace defines salvation as when a person trust in The Messiah for the free gift of Gods Eternal Life. They have received the gift of Eternal Life never to lose it.

As for the flat earth, that part falls into the creation area of the Bible (and is not a salvation issue) but is the true creation God created in Genesis and also spoken of throughout the Bible.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
As a child my parents would drop me off at the nearest protestant Sunday school. I was a navy brat. We moved a lot, so i went to many different denominations. They all gave me conflicting stories. I learned more at the Baptist church; than all the rest put together.

I stopped going to Sunday school and started studying on my own. For many years I went church hopping looking for others who understood what I did. Nothing.

When the internet was invented; I started finding others like me on the net. It gave me so much happiness. I started going to a small, King James, non denominational, church. I was teaching them much more than they were teaching me. I was explaining my beliefs one day on the net; and I was told that I must get to a Messianic congregation. I did that same week; and I stayed for years. I was attending church both the seventh day and the first day for at least a year. I eventually left the first day church. I eventually left the seventh day church. They were pushing too much false doctrine.

It's good to fellowship; but we must rely on YHWH to teach us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Congrats on pressing in for answers. Unfortunately you're going to get all kinds of advice on the Internet, and not all of it is good. I would be wary of any advice that emphasizes minor points out of proportion to their significance.

I have a hierarchy whereby I trust the Lord first and foremost. Then I trust men only as the Holy Spirit indicates. This helps protect me from being deceived.

The Bible tells us to "pray without ceasing". But that doesn't mean we spend our life on our knees, or that we can't engage in activities. There are all different kinds of prayer, from full-on dedicated communication, to a prayerful thought now and then as we engage in activities. There is vocal and silent prayer, individual and corporate. Eph. 6 tells us to employ "all prayer".

After trusting God, and staying in close communication with Him, the best thing you can do is read and meditate on the Bible, starting with the NT. This sets the pattern by which everything else can be judged. In this way you'll detect a falsehood before it misleads you. If you can find a church that preaches accurately and is full of the love of Christ and the power of the Spirit, or if you can even find someone with a sincere heart to fellowship with, you will do well.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Absolutely! If he doesn't want to share with you in that way; he should be the one who feels anxious. You are to be evenly yoked. Trust YHWH. This is what he wants for you. He wants good things for your life. An ungodly man will make your life miserable. You will be yoked to his curses. If you have a future together, he should be leading you, in earnest, to live a life that brings esteem to YHWH. He should be leading you in prayer. He should be asking you.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I did some more thinking about this. An ungodly man will bring his curses to your children. This is no light matter. I'm rethinking what I said earlier in this thread. You should make a priority of seeking out those who have a passion for YHWH. It doesn't matter if they have it all right. You can still study on your own; and I would most certainly do that, study study, study.

You need the support for yourself and your boyfriend. If the light gets too bright; and your boyfriend runs off; maybe you will find someone more worthy in the midst of that light.

YOU NEED FELLOWSHIP!

Think of your children, and what type of influence the man of your life will have on them.

When you have that thought fixed in your mind; this is the man that you need to stand with, before our heavenly father. If you can't bring that man out from where you stand; then you need to look elsewhere.

Do this for yourself. Do it for your boyfriend. Do it for your future children; but most importantly do it for the esteem of YHWH.

I might go back to the Baptist church. It would be quick and easy. I don't completely agree with them; but they are deep in the word; and they don't play around. Whatever you do, I would stay away from a lukewarm congregation.

Sorry for the mixed message. I was lying down on the couch, giving this thread more thought; when I realized that I hadn't really looked at this, from standing in your shoes.

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did some more thinking about this. An ungodly man will bring his curses to your children. This is no light matter. I'm rethinking what I said earlier in this thread. You should make a priority of seeking out those who have a passion for YHWH. It doesn't matter if they have it all right. You can still study on your own; and I would most certainly do that, study study, study.

You need the support for yourself and your boyfriend. If the light gets too bright; and your boyfriend runs off; maybe you will find someone more worthy in the midst of that light.

YOU NEED FELLOWSHIP!

Think of your children, and what type of influence the man of your life will have on them.

When you have that thought fixed in your mind; this is the man that you need to stand with, before our heavenly father. If you can't bring that man out from where you stand; then you need to look elsewhere.

Do this for yourself. Do it for your boyfriend. Do it for your future children; but most importantly do it for the esteem of YHWH.

I might go back to the Baptist church. It would be quick and easy. I don't completely agree with them; but they are deep in the word; and they don't play around. Whatever you do, I would stay away from a lukewarm congregation.

Sorry for the mixed message. I was lying down on the couch, giving this thread more thought; when I realized that I hadn't really looked at this, from standing in your shoes.

Woah lol I'm not nervous because he'll run off, he's very much a Christian and I'm very glad for him but I'm nervous BECAUSE he's so deep in it, and I'm not. Like, I feel like I need to catch up in a sense? It's nothing to do with him not wanting to do it with me.

I'm not looking for a lukewarm congregation, but I'm looking for a community that's a little more gentle I guess? I'm not an aggressive person and every Baptist person I've met is aggressive haha

Upvote 0

Realizer

Site Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Cartersville
Visit site
✟55,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Congrats on pressing in for answers. Unfortunately you're going to get all kinds of advice on the Internet, and not all of it is good. I would be wary of any advice that emphasizes minor points out of proportion to their significance.

I have a hierarchy whereby I trust the Lord first and foremost. Then I trust men only as the Holy Spirit indicates. This helps protect me from being deceived.

The Bible tells us to "pray without ceasing". But that doesn't mean we spend our life on our knees, or that we can't engage in activities. There are all different kinds of prayer, from full-on dedicated communication, to a prayerful thought now and then as we engage in activities. There is vocal and silent prayer, individual and corporate. Eph. 6 tells us to employ "all prayer".

After trusting God, and staying in close communication with Him, the best thing you can do is read and meditate on the Bible, starting with the NT. This sets the pattern by which everything else can be judged. In this way you'll detect a falsehood before it misleads you. If you can find a church that preaches accurately and is full of the love of Christ and the power of the Spirit, or if you can even find someone with a sincere heart to fellowship with, you will do well.
Thank you <3 I know this is gonna be a long journey for me. I kinda meditate on what I need, does that count as silent prayer?

Upvote 0