Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It has been a long journey, and finally, from the days of sceptic research some 2 years ago to tomorrow, when I'll be baptized and brought into communion with the Church of Christ. And then the real journey begins.

I'm so happy! I ask you all to pray for me as I take this important step in my life, and for everyone who like I was not long ago is completely lost and what's worse, not even looking for the truth.

I have been asking many questions to my priest and the seminarist at my parish and reading a lot, but being new to the Catholic Church, I probably still have misconceptions and would deeply appreciate if you will correct me whenever I expose a false notion, idea or behave improperly.

Reactions: MParedon

workman

Mar 16, 2004
California
✟1,240.00
Faith
Christian
Lifesaver said:
It has been a long journey, and finally, from the days of sceptic research some 2 years ago to tomorrow, when I'll be baptized and brought into communion with the Church of Christ. And then the real journey begins.

I'm so happy! I ask you all to pray for me as I take this important step in my life, and for everyone who like I was not long ago is completely lost and what's worse, not even looking for the truth.

HI and Congratulations!

You bring encouragement to those of us who teach about baptism (Being Immersed into Jesus' name: The "name" of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and of course faith in Jesus! Halelujah! I am excited for you. The angel's will be rejoicing upon your "new birth" tomorrow. Happy Spiritual Birthday!

CONSIDER THE SPECIAL CLOTHING YOU WILL GET TOMORROW:

"I delight greatly in the LORD;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has
:clap: clothed me with garments of salvation :clap:

and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." ~Isaiah 61:10 (NIV)

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were
baptized into Christ have

:holy: clothed yourselves with Christ. :holy:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:26-29 (NIV)

"Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir." Galatians 4:6-7

------------------------------UNDERSTANDING BAPTISM:

When we are immersed into the name of Jesus, Paul tells us in Romans chapter six, this is the TIME where we meet Christ in his death, burial and resurrection; the Gospel message that saves us. For in Christian baptism, we each individually "unite" ourselves with Christ’s work done on the cross, we "put on" his righteousness as a "garment of salvation" and arise out of the water a regenerated "new self" or "new life" cleansed from sin and indwelt by the Holy Spirit having placed complete faith in HIS WORK to save us."

Christ’s death on the cross, which he called a "baptism" in Luke 12:50, was both a physical event with a spiritual event happening simultaneously. Our "baptism" into his death, in the name of Jesus, is both a physical event performed in water, with a spiritual event taking place by faith at the same time. Not everyone is willing to accept this understanding as the Apostle Paul explains:

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." ~1 Corinthians 1:18 (NIV)

...................MORE VERSES FOR YOU TO READ AND CHERRISH ON BAPTISM:

Psalm 51:2 (NIV)
"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."

Titus 3:5-7 (NIV)
"…he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

1 Peter 1:3 (NIV)
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead."

1 Peter 3:21 (NASB):
"Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you-- not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

Romans 6:3-7 (NIV)
"Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin-- because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. "

Colossians 2:11-12 (NIV)
"In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead."

Romans 6:6-7 (NIV):
"For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin-- because anyone who has died has been freed from sin."

Acts 22:16 (NIV)
"And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.'

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (NIV)
"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Hebrews 10:19, 22-23 (NIV)
"Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, …let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."

Acts 2:38 (NIV)
"Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

................ALL WONDERFUL SCRIPTURES................THERE IS ONE MORE....
Acts 8:36-38
"As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?" Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." And he gave orders to stop the chariot.

Then both Philip and the eunuch went

down into the water and Philip baptized him."

...............You can choose to insist that your baptism be done in the fashion of Acts 8 as above. There certainly is no shame in that! Since our baptism represents a "burial" I think this is why Christ had it performed in this way. I hope you will follow the biblical model of baptism and get completely covered in the water.....just as we are completely washed clean of our sins by the blood of Christ. Not a partial covering...not a partial forgiveness.

God bless you and give you strength as you choose to follow him!

Keep in touch!

~Workman :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
workman said:
...You can choose to insist that your baptism be done in the fashion of Acts 8 as above. There certainly is no shame in that! Since our baptism represents a "burial" I think this is why Christ had it performed in this way. I hope you will follow the biblical model of baptism and get completely covered in the water.....just as we are completely washed clean of our sins by the blood of Christ. Not a partial covering...not a partial forgiveness.
just for clarification for lifesaver, immersion may not be an option at you're parish, and if you are sprinkled with water, or poured, it isn't any less of a baptism.
It is NOT a partial forgiveness if you do not choose immersion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
Lifesaver said:
Thank you all for the words of kindness.

It went great; my family and close friends there, the priest who has helped me these past weeks; all very happy.

So... I think I'll be spending more time in this board from now on. :)

Excellent!

That Catholic icon looks good on you. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.