Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't need to show that there is an increase in total energy in the universe. You can put yourself in a box, make the apple in there, and measure the energy in the box and compare it with the energy that was measured entering the box.
How would that differentiate from creatio ex materia?

If I draw energy from outside the box -- say pull it from the Pacific Ocean -- how would that work?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How would that differentiate from creatio ex materia?

If I draw energy from outside the box -- say pull it from the Pacific Ocean -- how would that work?

Okay, let's do a thought experiment.

I create a box that is large enough for you to step inside. I also place sensors so that the energy that enters the box can be measured. I also place sensors to measure the amount of energy inside the box.

All I have to do is measure the energy you take in when you enter and add it to the energy I measure entering the box predict how much energy I would expect to measure from inside. If the measurement from inside matches, then no creation ex nihilo. The there actually is creation ex nihilo, then the amount of energy I measure inside the box will be higher than what I expected.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, let's do a thought experiment.

I create a box that is large enough for you to step inside. I also place sensors so that the energy that enters the box can be measured. I also place sensors to measure the amount of energy inside the box.

All I have to do is measure the energy you take in when you enter and add it to the energy I measure entering the box predict how much energy I would expect to measure from inside. If the measurement from inside matches, then no creation ex nihilo. The there actually is creation ex nihilo, then the amount of energy I measure inside the box will be higher than what I expected.
Second opinion requested -- in English.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Second opinion requested -- in English.
As I understand it, the idea is that if there is more energy inside the box than went into it, then some kind of creation out of nothing happened.

I'm not claiming any kind of expertise here, but that's it in layman's terms imo.

• Informative
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I understand it, the idea is that if there is more energy inside the box than went into it, then some kind of creation out of nothing happened.

I'm not claiming any kind of expertise here, but that's it in layman's terms imo.
Thank you, Leaf.

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0