My Apple Challenge

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
I don't think so -- it's a hypothetical.

Feel free to participate.

I will when I'm satisfied with an answer; which, by the way, I am.

Corvus Corax, in my opinion, gave a good, honest answer.

It shouldn't matter if I can do it in real life or in a hypothetical -- is that going to change your answer?

That "dead horse" is your opinion -- an opinion I don't share.
I would guess that you are in very tiny minority here. Haven't we had polls on your bogus apple challenge in the past? You are free to believe in a deceptive God who created a world with "embedded age" and hid all evidence of the great flood he used to wipe out his botched up creation but don't expect to convince anyone else of the rationality of your irrational beliefs based on your absurd apple challenge.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I create an apple ex nihilo into the palm of your hand.

What evidence would you use to convince your friend I did this?

Have you taken a vow not to resurrect dead threads? Now you just replicate them?

Here is my challenge.

1. I do something impossible.
2. How would you convince your friend I did something impossible?
3. He won't believe you if you just tell him, will he?
4. But he would be Wrong, Wouldn't he... wouldn't he????????????????????????????????
5. Repeat every 2-3 weeks.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm looking for scientific answers -- not Biblical ones.

scientific? in your question there is no way for the person i would tell about this event to falsify my claim. It really doesn't matter if you did or did not create an apple. If your did or did not, the claim would seem identical to whoever i tell.

I cannot show evidence for my claim that i saw you create an apple. I am smart enough to know that i would need evidence for such a claim.

Thus it is unreachable to expect people to believe things like this simply at there word. The only way to convince him would be to bring you along as well. If you could not create the apple again i would be very suspicious that it was a trick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
scientific? in your question there is no way for the person i would tell about this event to falsify my claim. It really doesn't matter if you did or did not create an apple. If your did or did not, the claim would seem identical to whoever i tell.

I cannot show evidence for my claim that i saw you create an apple. I am smart enough to know that i would need evidence for such a claim.

Thus it is unreachable to expect people to believe things like this simply at there word. The only way to convince him would be to bring you along as well. If you could create the apple again i would be very suspicious that it was a trick.
His argument/challenge comes down to this: I make a claim that can't be falsified, therefore I'm right.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Saving Hawaii
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I have stated in the past, these kinds of Word play/semantics is both bad philosophy(science) and bad theology. I wish avet would realise this.

So is arguing for evidence for something that came into existence ex nihilo.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Judging by your avatar, you're a cartoon character.
Pretty much anything goes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LifeToTheFullest!

May 12, 2004
✟6,295.00
Faith
Agnostic
You see theology in my OP?

Let me repeat: I'd like this thread to be science-only.
That's my point. You don't understand science. It's a nonsense question. As already pointed out, it can't be falsified. Therefore you are free to make any and all claims you'd like. Prove Poseidon didn't do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Judging by your avatar, you're a cartoon character. Pretty much anything goes.

Sorry. I know you didn't do it. So I'm going to hit myself on the head with a big cartoon hammer because I'm in toon-town being asked alice in wonderland questions.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry. I know you didn't do it. So I'm going to hit myself on the head with a big cartoon hammer because I'm in toon-town being asked alice in wonderland questions.

Fix your profile first.

It says: 'Church Of he Brethren'.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
There is no way I could convince anyone that you created an apple ex nihilo without you replicating it in front of them. Since apparently, you've lost interest I cannot do that.

AV said:
Sounds like you're giving up before you even try.
Do you imagine it is generally easy to just prove that someone created something out of nothing?
His perspective would be wrong, wouldn't it?
#
Yes, in this instance he would be wrong. However he would have no reason to believe that you are right. You have to see it from his perspective to understand his disagreement.

Once I create the apple, my part is finished.

Then you withdraw the right to ask stupid questions as to how the original witness to your 'miracle' managed to convince his buddy that you did it.

Besides, if I created an apple a million times after that in front of a million people, would it be evidence that I created your apple ex nihilo?

No, technically it would not. However perhaps the more important point in this is that you are capable of creating an apple ex nihilo and people would be more likely and willing to believe the testimony of the person who witnessed the original apple being created.

Nope -- wrong perspective of my challenge.

You cannot just decree that certain evaluations of your pathetic challenge are inherently the "wrong perspective". If you are unable to take criticism for your rubbish then you should not put it up in the public domain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,129.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I would show him the lepticon readings. Since he knows that lepticons are only present when something is created ex nihilo he would be convinced.

Upvote 0