Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I apologize I didn’t see it. I mean all I can do is offer an explanation for why I believe what I believe. What more do you want from me? I just read that post in 4 minutes 30 seconds. I’m basically laying it all out for you to pick apart. I’ve got nothing to hide about my beliefs. If they are foolish it shouldn’t be hard to prove me wrong. One thing you shouldn’t do is criticize something someone says if your to lazy to actually discuss it and prove them wrong. So if you’ve got something to say put your money where your mouth is or shut it.

I'm not reading a wall of text. Basic internet etiquette 101: where applicable, use paragraphs. They exist for a reason.

Plus, I've seen your schtick enough times that I know that even if it is laid out to you, you'll still call anything related to the age of the Earth that doesn't mesh with your religious beliefs as 'predictions', so I don't see there's much of a point since I doubt there's anything that I could say that's not been said before that would convince you to alter your views.

You're the one who think the whole scientific community is wrong, so maybe you're the one who should put their money where their mouth is instead.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
They are calculations, based on simple arithmetic.

And changed how many times?
During the 1950s, nearly 70 years ago, Clair Patterson (1922-1995) used the isotopic ratios of lead in meteorites and terrestrial rocks to calculate that the Earth is 4550±50 million years. The present value for the age of the Earth is 4540±20 million years, almost exactly the same as Patterson's age. The ages assigned to the beginnings of the geological periods during the 1950s were mostly within 25% of the modern ages.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
This is the popular answer I keep seeing, the Bible is wrong, even tho the predicted age of the earth is a prediction and not a fact. Nobody has ever proven how old the earth actually is and the predictions of scientists on this subject are based on what we can observe today and assumptions about what we can’t observe in the past.
I don't think that God is deceiving us. The Earth is old. It's even old enough to have formed 7 super continents during that time.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟11,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is rather an insult to all those Christians who have pracrticed science as way of discovering more about God's creation and simultaneously honouring him.
I think they would agree with the second part of your sentence: the action of evolution continues today, generating changes in species and producing new species.
Hi if I have insulted anyone then I apologise I did not mean to do so.
As for evolution it never happened its creation that continues the end result will be man in the image of God we are told this in Genesis man in the image of God is the end of creation which began with Noah will take 6 days 1000 years long.

Love and Peace
Dave

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi if I have insulted anyone then I apologise I did not mean to do so.
As for evolution it never happened its creation that continues the end result will be man in the image of God we are told this in Genesis man in the image of God is the end of creation which began with Noah will take 6 days 1000 years long.

Love and Peace
Dave
There is no evidence of that outside the Bible, which throws into question those parts of the Bible.

I understand that is your believe, but without evidence, there is no reason for us to accept it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that is your believe, but without evidence, there is no reason for us to accept it.

Who determines what constitutes evidence?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who determines what constitutes evidence?
For scientists, scientific evidence is information collected via rigorous scientific methods that challenge their belief in the truth of factual claims.

For the average person, it is up to their viewpoints. But that is what you would claim anyway to elevate your personal science textbook.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,117.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It's fine as a belief, but there is no supporting evidence to confirm it, or even suggest it is likely. In contrast there is more evidence supporting the theory of evolution than you could read in a lifetime. Millions of Christians find no problem with evolution, seeing it as the means by which God created man and all the other life on the planet. That world, the world in which evolution is real, is a much more wonderful world than the cardboard cut-out version of creation that you favour. I hope you develop the will to open your eyes.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you serious?

How about the order of the creation events?

You know?

The earth before the sun?

Angiosperms before the sun?

Whales before land animals? etc.
No one has to come up with solutions just read the days as such.
When the expanse was created, God placed lights in it, He didn't stop and go back to the expanse a day later.

Days, 1,2,4,3,5,6

And God said, “Let there be an expanse between the waters, to separate the waters from the waters.” So God made the expanse and separated the waters beneath it from the waters above. And it was so. God called the expanse “sky.”
And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to distinguish between the day and the night, and let them be signs to mark the seasons and days and years. And let them serve as lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth.” And it was so.

God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night. And He made the stars as well.

God set these lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, to preside over the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

And God said, “Let the waters under the sky be gathered into one place, so that the dry land may appear.” And it was so. God called the dry land “earth,” and the gathering of waters He called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.

Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth vegetation: seed-bearing plants and fruit trees, each bearing fruit with seed according to its kind.” And it was so. The earth produced vegetation: seed-bearing plants according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟11,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's fine as a belief, but there is no supporting evidence to confirm it, or even suggest it is likely. In contrast there is more evidence supporting the theory of evolution than you could read in a lifetime. Millions of Christians find no problem with evolution, seeing it as the means by which God created man and all the other life on the planet. That world, the world in which evolution is real, is a much more wonderful world than the cardboard cut-out version of creation that you favour. I hope you develop the will to open your eyes.
Hi thank you Ophiolite for your reply but my eyes are wide open to take in Gods glorious creation as I have said before the 6 days of creation are for the time after the flood we are not told how long the time was before the flood what we are told is it was destroyed in the flood and God began with Noah and his descendants to create a man in his image which was Israel who went terribly wrong so God began again with his son Jesus Christ this would be a spiritual man Israel was man in the image of God in the flesh the man of flesh must come first.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night. And He made the stars as well.

God set these lights in the expanse of the sky to shine upon the earth, to preside over the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

It was the forth day -- not the third.

Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Upvote 0

davetaff

Mar 4, 2024
South Wales
✟11,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi AV1611VET Thank you for your reply like I have said before the creation account in Genesis should be read starting with Noah on the forth day 4000 years after the flood Christ came into the world the light of the world represented by the sun his bride the church was created represented by the moon the reflected light of the sun the children of God were created represented by the stars.

Love and Peace
Dave

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
... 4000 years after the flood Christ came into the world ...

Am I reading this correctly?

The Flood was in 2348 BC.

4000 years after the Flood would make it AD 2349.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was the forth day -- not the third.

Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
Nay you got to use common sense, that's why it's the way it is. God does want people to use common sense, especially when it comes to sun light and is absolutely needed for life on earth. Then and now.

Theres no need to make up elaborate theories about how plants grow without sun light. And I have no doubt you have one when it's not necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nay you got to use common sense,

Common sense can lead one astray.

How about I use the Bible, which says it was the "forth day"?

God does want people to use common sense, especially when it comes to sun light ...

But when common sense disagrees with the Bible, common sense can take a hike.

... and is absolutely needed for life on earth.

What is?

Common sense or light?

Theres no need to make up elaborate theories about how plants grow without sun light.

I won't.

I'll let the Bible handle it.

Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Theories are for testing.

And they fail A LOT MORE TIMES than they pass.

The Bible, on the other hand, gets it right the first time, every time.

And I have no doubt you have one when it's not necessary.

I have "pet theories;" which aren't theories, per se, but more like speculations.

• Winner

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Common sense can lead one astray.

How about I use the Bible, which says it was the "forth day"?

But when common sense disagrees with the Bible, common sense can take a hike.

What is?

Common sense or light?

I won't.

I'll let the Bible handle it.

Revelation 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Theories are for testing.

And they fail A LOT MORE TIMES than they pass.

The Bible, on the other hand, gets it right the first time, every time.

I have "pet theories;" which aren't theories, per se, but more like speculations.
What common sense leads one astray?

so the four gospels are in the right order?

I never said you can't use the Bible without common sense it's your choice to think rationally or not.

Rev 21:23 has nothing to do with how plants grow without sunlight. They don't grow without it nor did they ever. You are simply placing future events with past events. That never works correctly.

What I posted doesn't disagree with the Bible it's from the bible which isn't in chronological order.

You think God jumped around in the account. Creating the expanse then forming earth and vegetation. Then went back to expanse to drop in some lights. That's a unorganized creation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You think God jumped around in the account. Creating the expanse then forming earth and vegetation. Then went back to expanse to drop in some lights. That's a unorganized creation.

First God created, for lack of a better term, "containment fields."

Heaven, Earth, and space.

He then populated those fields with grass on the earth; sun, moon, and stars in space; animals and man on the earth.

Here's how I interpret the first three days of the Creation Week:

Day One

1. God speaks and heaven is created.
2. God speaks again and creates a mass of seawater in the hollow of His hand.
3. The Spirit moves around this mass of water, taking measurements and other things.
4. God speaks again, and the light appears. This includes the entire electromagnetic spectrum, along with the four physical forces of the universe. Gravity now shapes the earth (which I like to call terra aqua) into a ball of seawater.
5. God sets the earth spinning, and momentum shapes it into an oblate spheroid.

Day Two

1. God orders some of the elements in the seawater -- specifically Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, and Carbon -- to come together under the surface and shear off and balloon outward, separating the top layer from the bottom; and the atmosphere is created. The top layer is taken into outer space to return later in Noah's time.
2. God calls this firmament "Heaven." It is what we call the "atmosphere;" and it is one of three "heaven/firmaments" created in Genesis 1. Outer space and Heaven proper being the other two.

Day Three

1. God speaks to the water again, and more elements come together -- Iron, Silicon, Copper, Carbon etc and so on -- and the landmass is created.
2. Verse 9, God now orders the water to stand aside and let the landmass appear.
3. God labels the landmass "Earth," and the waters that He has been speaking to "Seas".
4. God then terraforms Earth with angiosperms.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First God created, for lack of a better term, "containment fields."

Heaven, Earth, and space.

He then populated those fields with grass on the earth; sun, moon, and stars in space; animals and man on the earth.

Here's how I interpret the first three days of the Creation Week:

Day One

1. God speaks and heaven is created.
2. God speaks again and creates a mass of seawater in the hollow of His hand.
3. The Spirit moves around this mass of water, taking measurements and other things.
4. God speaks again, and the light appears. This includes the entire electromagnetic spectrum, along with the four physical forces of the universe. Gravity now shapes the earth (which I like to call terra aqua) into a ball of seawater.
5. God sets the earth spinning, and momentum shapes it into an oblate spheroid.

Day Two

1. God orders some of the elements in the seawater -- specifically Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, and Carbon -- to come together under the surface and shear off and balloon outward, separating the top layer from the bottom; and the atmosphere is created. The top layer is taken into outer space to return later in Noah's time.
2. God calls this firmament "Heaven." It is what we call the "atmosphere;" and it is one of three "heaven/firmaments" created in Genesis 1. Outer space and Heaven proper being the other two.

Day Three

1. God speaks to the water again, and more elements come together -- Iron, Silicon, Copper, Carbon etc and so on -- and the landmass is created.
2. Verse 9, God now orders the water to stand aside and let the landmass appear.
3. God labels the landmass "Earth," and the waters that He has been speaking to "Seas".
4. God then terraforms Earth with angiosperms.
And you used a complete speculative theory about 4 days of creation. That's brilliant no that's pathetic.

About man you also forgot about the 10,000 species you host in and on your body.

Upvote 0

BeyondET

Earth Treasures
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2018
Virginia
✟153,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The top layer is taken into outer space to return later in Noah's time.
That's how your imagination gets you wondering around in darkness.

The clouds are not in outerspace neither is the ground that opened up and you even failed to mention that part of the account.

Upvote 0