Muslim Belief in Heaven

Link_Blue

Jan 14, 2005
Ottawa
✟310.00
Faith
Muslim
I thought i woud share this quote from Khomeini (ra)

Our Worship is For Paradise

All our devotional acts serve our own interests only. Those who are more pious among us perform them for the sake of Paradise. Take away the temptation of Paradise, then see who performs them. Imam Ali's case is different. He was in fact fond of the acts of devotion and worship. It is said about him that he loved the acts of devotion and embraced them. As a matter of principle it is not of much significance to perform acts of worship for the sake of Paradise. A person who has reached the stage of passing away in Allah, attaches no importance to Paradise. He actually does not care for it. Paradise and Hell are alike for him who has annihilated himself. He praises Allah because he believes that Allah deserves devotions. This position is attained by those who are fond of acts of worship. They worship Allah because they believe that He is fit for being worshipped.

There are many degrees of devotion. Anyhow, the first step is shunning the selfishness and getting out of the narrow hole of egoism.

For this purpose the first thing to be done is to wake up for the sake of Allah and not to remain sleeping. At present we are asleep, although apparently awake. Our waking is that of animals, not of man. A tradition says that people are asleep; they will wake up when they will die. At that time they will realize that they were totally unconscious of the real situation. A Qur'anic verse says: 'Hell is surrounding the unbelievers'. It means that Hell is even now surrounding them but man being in a state of unconsciousness does not perceive that. When he will gain his consciousness, he will realize that there is a fire all round him. We all have to go by this path. Therefore it is better for us to wake up and walk along the 'straight path' shown to us by the Prophets.

-----------

this an awesome book about a series of seminars by Khomeini (rA)

http://al-islam.org/LWM/ ( go to part 3 for Khomeini's part)

it shows the flaw in 'the cause and effect' approach by philisophers also

Upvote 0

bigg35

May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟15,242.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
To Bin Qasim

In answer to your question, "wat r all those numbers after mentioning of Ayah and hadith?",

The numbers mentioned are the reference numbers for Abu 'Abd Allah Muhammad Al-Bukhari's Hadith (as you would know, universally regarded as the most authoritive collection of the Traditions). The reference number follows that of Phil Parshall in his book "Understanding Muslim Teachings and Traditions" and as an example,

9:153; 88.10.204 - Volume 9, Page 153, 88 is the book, 10 is the chapter and 204 is the tradition. My apologies for not specifically stating this.

The importance of the Hadith, though they are not the Qur'an, can be seen in the Qur'an where it states, in Surah 33:21,

Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day, and remember much. - The Noble Qur'an

Ye have indeed In the Messenger of Allah A beautiful pattern (of conduct) For any one whose hope is In Allah and the Final Day. And who engages much In the praise of Allah. - The Meaning of the Holy Qur'an (Abdullah Yusuf Ali).

And as stated, though the Hadith is not the Qur'an the Sunna of Muhammad is closely followed for Sharia Law. Therefore, to dismiss the what the Hadith say, for the purpose of this discussion on Paradise/Heaven, and say "that's not in the Qur'an" is a truth and yet a deception at the same time.

Narrated Sahl bin Sad: Narrated Allah's Apostle: "Whoever can guarantee (the chastity of) what is between his two jaw-bones and what is between his two legs (i.e. his tongue and his private parts), I guarantee Paradise for him" (8:320; 76.23.11.481)

-- though one wonders how Muhammad could resolve this with the blatantly provocative idea of paradise, with its harem of seventy perpetual virgins --

It is a contradiction to require the "chastity of) what is between his ... two legs" to be guaranteed Paradise when what awaits a MAN in Paradise is a harem.

Note: Aisah was one of Muhammad's wives. He married her when she was seven (7) years of age, though she did not have to perform her "wifely" duties till she was nine (9).

"yes it is true!! u got any questions??"

I was expounding who it was who was narrating.

Can u pls tell me how it shows that there is no measure in Quran and ahadiths. I see it mentioned in every ayah and hadith u have provided.

The measures you "see" show that there is NO guarantee. Are they "measures"? Yes! Are they guarantees? No. As I said, ULTIMATELY there is no way to know for sure if you will make it. It is ULTIMATELY at the DISCRETION of Allah at the time.

Upvote 0

Electra

Mar 2, 2005
✟15,915.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Muslim said:
Muslims believe that the people in heaven will enjoy heavenly pleasures not earthly pleasures. Nothing can compare to the pleasures of heaven. With every footstep that a person takes in heaven they will experience more joy then they did during their entire stay on earth. Also, Muslims believe that people in heaven will be both worshipping and glorifying God as well as enjoying the fruits of their hard labor. There is a haddith in which the prophet Muhammad said that the people of heaven will praise and glorify God as easily as we breathe here on Earth.

Do you not become numb to the pleasures at some point if that is all you feel for all eternity? Is contentment not better than pleasure/joy?

Upvote 0

Bin Qasim

Nov 26, 2004
US
✟15,211.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
-- though one wonders how Muhammad could resolve this with the blatantly provocative idea of paradise, with its harem of seventy perpetual virgins --
whose harem?? pls cite sources.
I was expounding who it was who was narrating.
do u mean narrators?? to my knowledge only 2 persons, one was Ayesha and Hisham ibn Urwah.(I am only speaking of Shah Bukhari narrations.)
The measures you "see" show that there is NO guarantee. Are they "measures"? Yes! Are they guarantees? No. As I said, ULTIMATELY there is no way to know for sure if you will make it. It is ULTIMATELY at the DISCRETION of Allah at the time.
to my understanding, u do good, paradise or heavan is ure, but if u do bad deeds, then it's upto Allah,either He will forgive ur sins or not.there is a clear mention in an ayah or a hadith which i will try to find out soon.

Upvote 0