My dad wasn’t a saint, but can I assume he’s in heaven?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question: Many people have a hard time believing that anyone except a saint can go directly to heaven after death. When my dad passed away after being in a coma for a week, he raised his arms, smiled and left this world. I think he went to heaven. He was a good man but not a saint. I find purgatory confusing except as a state that existed before the resurrection of Jesus. Also, when Jesus comes back to earth (his promised second coming) to rule and reign, will those still alive here on earth be instantly in his presence, or will some still need to spend time in purgatory?

— Steve Anderson, via Email

Answer: As for going straight to heaven, there are some reasonable doubts that most attain to this without some sort of purification or purgation. Jesus says we must “be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48). The Book of Revelation also says regarding heaven, “But nothing unclean will enter it” (21:27). While it is true that many die in friendship with God, free of mortal sin, it is less likely that they die in a state of Godly perfection, with absolutely no impurity of any sort. Hence it makes sense that some purification is likely required for most of us after we die.

Continued below.

Reactions: WarriorAngel

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not judging anyone. The saints are God's elect. Luke chapter 16, Richman and Lazarus. Jesus gave us a analogy of two side of the gulf. In paradise are the saints. Sheol is called hell or Hades. It's holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked. The Gulf separating both sides of paradise and sheol. How come many people end up in sheol ??. First Corinthians 2:12. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the spirt which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 2:13. Which things also we speak, not in the words which mans wisdom teach, but the holy ghost teach; comparing spirtual things with spirtual. 2: 14. But the natural man received not the things of the spirit of God. For they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spirtualty Discerned. God placed spirit of slumber on many people. You need the holy spirit to guide you on right path to paradise. The millennium is time of teaching and discipline for the spirtualty dead. On judgement day, many people will get eternal life. God's Election have holy spirit. Their predestined, chosen before foundation of the world. Again, many people have spirit of slumber for their protection. The millennium is thier opportunity to get eternal life. Psalm 118:19. Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise The Lord. 118:20. This gate of the Lord, into which the righteous shall enter. PEACE.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Pray for those who pass.
Since we do not know.
Purgatory is the most common place for humans to transform preparing to be in the Presence of the Lord.
It is only the exceptional who desire to avoid 'all' sins and desire full cooperation with the Lord, who have succeeded.
And those who were so young and innocent.

Sam-Colin
Sam-Colin
We are to make that transformation while on earth. IF there was a 'purgatory' WHY did CHRIST tell the penitent thief "THIS DAY you will be with me in Paradise"? Methinks Christ, the 2nd person in the Trinity would know better than any minister/priest. Once we breathe our last breath, if we haven't made that definite decision to accept, believe & receive, sadly it's too late.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sam-Colin
We are to make that transformation while on earth. IF there was a 'purgatory' WHY did CHRIST tell the penitent thief "THIS DAY you will be with me in Paradise"? Methinks Christ, the 2nd person in the Trinity would know better than any minister/priest. Once we breathe our last breath, if we haven't made that definite decision to accept, believe & receive, sadly it's too late.

In Purgatory we are suffering to purify the sins. [see St Paul we shall burn away the rubble but keep the gems]. The thief did his atonement for his sins on the cross and atoned and he sought mercy and forgiveness. He even agreed he was due the punishment.
He had faith, and he suffered for his sins on earth.

Upvote 0