• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Mum in hospital

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Mum was taken into hospital jaundiced. She has had scans which appear to be clear and has been found to have an infection, be very badly dehydrated and her blood sugars are very high - UK readings of 29.9 yesterday and 20.4 today. I don't understand how this happened because all her checks and blood tests come back very good and she is a model patient so has anyone any idea why her levels are so high?

HerCrazierHalf

closet atheist
Aug 11, 2014
SoCal, US
✟29,273.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Mum was taken into hospital jaundiced. She has had scans which appear to be clear and has been found to have an infection, be very badly dehydrated and her blood sugars are very high - UK readings of 29.9 yesterday and 20.4 today. I don't understand how this happened because all her checks and blood tests come back very good and she is a model patient so has anyone any idea why her levels are so high?

I can't even come close to explaining 29.9 (~538 mg/dl). My understanding is that besides food a few things can lead to higher blood sugar levels. Stress and illness are usually the big ones. Also, you may want to look into possible interactions between her diabetic medications and any new medications, including over the counter stuff like pain killers and such. They can decrease the effectiveness of certain medications.

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
thank you so much for your responses. there is some improvement and blood sugar levels are down to 11.5. I am 100 miles away and understand she is still nil by mouth and still on several drips. she has had a chest infection and we have had a recent death in the family, so maybe these are contributory factors

Upvote 0

leytonstones

Senior Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
✟45,429.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you to all who replied and helped. Mum was in hospital 5 weeks. It turns out she has haemolytic anaemia and this was a contributory factor in her high sugar levels and her jaundice. She is home now, still very weak and having weekly infusions and may need further blood transfusions. Last week her blood test results revealed that she is now starting to make red blood cells, which is really good news :)

Upvote 0