Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Clinton was impeached, they had overwhelming evidence that he lied under oath and committed perjury. The Senate acquitted him even with this overwhelming evidence, so it clearly, is not easy, to get the senate to convict a president.
It isn't that the Senate found him not guilty of perjury, but that the perjury didn't reach the standard of "high crimes and misdemeanors". But you're right that it is a very high bar to reach to throw a president out of office. It hasn't been done yet.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It isn't that the Senate found him not guilty of perjury, but that the perjury didn't reach the standard of "high crimes and misdemeanors". But you're right that it is a very high bar to reach to throw a president out of office. It hasn't been done yet.
It's looking like Trump might have a spot in history after all.

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which just makes those who heard him complicit as well.

He was just the FBI (top cop) chief...
Your argument seems to be that cops can never make case that they're investigating if they didn't arrest the investigee at each point they obtained evidence against him.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another “It was Colonel Mustard in the library with a candle stick conclusion of the infamous NYTimes. I would wait a Court me days for the retraction before shouting their praises.

Their history for accuracy is not good

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's looking like Trump might have a spot in history after all.
Obviously he does, if only as the most uninterested, incompetent, generally ignorant person to be elected into the highest office, but it's not likely that he'd be tried or convicted by the Senate - I think he'd quit before it came to that. He might be the first to be removed on medical competency, though, if his brain function deteriorates very much further.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ok, that could have been. So perjury doesn't meet the criteria then for an impeachable offense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Their history for accuracy is not good
That's a false statement. It's a newspaper reporting on breaking stories not a history book and, as such, it is as accurate as the top tier.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, that could have been. So perjury doesn't meet the criteria then for an impeachable offense.
It might depend on what the perjury was about - national security, abuse of office or consensual sex acts between adults - context.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It might depend on what the perjury was about - national security, abuse of office or consensual sex acts between adults - context.

Could be. I can't recall, did the Senate actually vote on whether they felt Clinton's perjury met the standard?

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Could be. I can't recall, did the Senate actually vote on whether they felt Clinton's perjury met the standard?

Technically yes. When they voted not to remove him from office. But it doesn't set precedent really. The Senate could decide in the future to remove a President in the future for doing exactly what Clinton did. It's all in the hands of Congress to decide what rises to that level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Technically yes. When they voted not to remove him from office. But it doesn't set precedent really. The Senate could decide in the future to remove a President in the future for doing exactly what Clinton did. It's all in the hands of Congress to decide what rises to that level.

And I believe they need a 2/3 vote to convict a president, if I am not mistaken.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
And I believe they need a 2/3 vote to convict a president, if I am not mistaken.

They do. It's a huge hurdle and, if they did it when not deserved, it's likely political suicide for those who did it. It's my opinion that the President would have to be caught killing someone or a treasonous act that everybody would recognize in order to be impeached. Nixon came the closest and I'm not sure the vote would even have removed him.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ummmm....Comey says the President asked him to do a number of things regarding the Russia investigation. He took notes of that conversation. Trump denies that conversation. Priebus now confirms that those conversations took place.

That’s confirming evidence friend...!
Boom!

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That red necktie getting a little tighter...?

Obstruction Inquiry Shows Trump’s Struggle to Keep Grip on Russia Investigation

“Mr. Mueller has also substantiated claims that Mr. Comey made in a series of memos describing troubling interactions with the president before he was fired in May.”

Can you please show the subtantiation that the article speaks of.

Need to show proof and not just because the article says so.

@JGG made some great points in his can we all agree thread

Upvote 0