Details of Pentagon secret document Discord leaker emerge

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
N.b., there were, in fact, restrooms in the SCIF at my last defense contractor job. Our primary customer was the Air Force. My new employer, also defense, has no bathrooms. It's main customer is Navy.

I mention the customer because that may account for the difference ... but maybe not.
insert Chair Force joke here

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
N.b., there were, in fact, restrooms in the SCIF at my last defense contractor job. Our primary customer was the Air Force. My new employer, also defense, has no bathrooms. It's main customer is Navy.

I mention the customer because that may account for the difference ... but maybe not.
Can you say how new the two facilities were? In my day, a SCIF could not have the "penetrations" required for restroom plumbing, and that was including Air Force. There may be a way around that now.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Can you say how new the two facilities were? In my day, a SCIF could not have the "holes" required for restroom plumbing, and that was including Air Force. There may be a way around that now.
The AF one has been in existence (under different companies but always defense) for around 75 years. How long the SCIF was there? Dunno, but I started at that location in 2000 and it had bathrooms then and now. (But they build an additional SCIF and that new one doesn't have bathrooms ... it's probably 10 years old now).

The Navy one ... the building is 70+ years old but has served many different purposes. The SCIF, as best I can tell (I've been here less than 2 years), is probably less than 20 years old.

So it's plausible that age could have something to do with it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The AF one has been in existence (under different companies but always defense) for around 75 years. How long the SCIF was there? Dunno, but I started at that location in 2000 and it had bathrooms then and now. (But they build an additional SCIF and that new one doesn't have bathrooms ... it's probably 10 years old now).

The Navy one ... the building is 70+ years old but has served many different purposes. The SCIF, as best I can tell (I've been here less than 2 years), is probably less than 20 years old.

So it's plausible that age could have something to do with it.
There are probably ways around the restrictions that are worthwhile in an older structure that absolutely must be used. Electronic monitors on the pipes or something.

• Agree
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Jack Teixeira will plead guilty in massive leak of documents on Discord

Teixeira, 22, was arrested last April and charged with six counts of illegal retention and transmission of national defense information. If he had been found guilty at trial, he would have faced a prison sentence of 30 years to life, according to federal sentencing guidelines. A guilty plea suggests Teixeira will serve substantially less time.

Pentagon leaker Jack Teixeira agrees to accept 16-year prison sentence

According to the signed plea agreement filed with the court, Teixeira, 22, agreed to plead guilty to all six counts charging him with willful retention and transmission of national defense information. In exchange, prosecutors agreed not to charge him with additional counts under the Espionage Act.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you say how new the two facilities were? In my day, a SCIF could not have the "penetrations" required for restroom plumbing, and that was including Air Force. There may be a way around that now.
That seems odd to me. Penetrations for hvac and possibly electrical (low or high voltage) would be at least as large as anything needed for plumbing.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That seems odd to me. Penetrations for hvac and possibly electrical (low or high voltage) would be at least as large as anything needed for plumbing.
My (completely uninformed) take on that is that, while HVAC and electrical do require penetrations, HVAC can be self-contained and bases generally have their own power stations. A plumbing penetration, on the other hand, requires connection to outside utilities like water and sewer.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
My (completely uninformed) take on that is that, while HVAC and electrical do require penetrations, HVAC can be self-contained and bases generally have their own power stations. A plumbing penetration, on the other hand, requires connection to outside utilities like water and sewer.
That makes sense to me.

Upvote 0