✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dear posters,

There is a perpetuating rumour around at certain sub-forums that Christians are lawless. The impression being given is that Christians believe that laws of God (all of them) are done away with and that Christians believe that no one is bound to any laws of God given before the Cross.

While I am pretty convinced that Christians still believe in the use of at least the Two Great Laws and teach the Ten as having a very firm place in theology, the accusation leveled at Christians is that they are no longer believed as binding.

So what is it? Is the law done away with entirely? Are you a bunch of antinomians, drooling after your lusts in a blind haze of licentiousness? Or are you confident that you can live by the Spirit and those commandments are guidelines for those who don't yet have the Spirit? Have you another view?

Or what?

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear posters,

There is a perpetuating rumour around at certain sub-forums that Christians are lawless. The impression being given is that Christians believe that laws of God (all of them) are done away with and that Christians believe that no one is bound to any laws of God given before the Cross.

While I am pretty convinced that Christians still believe in the use of at least the Two Great Laws and teach the Ten as having a very firm place in theology, the accusation leveled at Christians is that they are no longer believed as binding.

So what is it? Is the law done away with entirely? Are you a bunch of antinomians, drooling after your lusts in a blind haze of licentiousness? Or are you confident that you can live by the Spirit and those commandments are guidelines for those who don't yet have the Spirit? Have you another view?

Or what?
Well, if you have the spirit, the guidelines are intrinsic.

It is an ignorant accusation to begin with. No need to dignify it with much ado.
You have adequately pointed all that out.
We don't have to attend every argument we're invited to.

Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, people do confuse the issue.

We are under the law in the sense that it is God's will for us, he wants us to be obedient, and if we love Christ, we will have a desire to keep the law. We can not be perfect in this life, but we should be showing signs of improvement day by day.

However, if you are Christian, you are no longer under the condemnation of the law. Keeping or not keeping the law is not what we are going to be judge by in so far as our salvation goes. You will be judged by Christ, in so far as your Heavenly rewards go, according to your behavior, but you are still saved from God's eternal wrath.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to be justified through obedience to the law, you had better have been perfect in your obedience since conception. For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. - James 2:10

One of the things that most impressed me about Lutheran theology at first was the Lutheran doctrine of the three uses of the law. I believe this understanding is thoroughly scriptural, taking what the entire revelation in the scriptures says regarding the law and boiling it down to its essence.

The Civil Use of The Law (1st Use of The Law)
God’s laws serve all humanity by restraining sin, setting moral and ethical boundaries for humans in society. This use of the law allows humans to enjoy a limited measure of order and justice in this life.

The Pedagogical Use of The Law (2nd Use of The Law)

God’s laws show the perfection of God’s character and thus reveal people’s sinfulness in contrast to his righteousness. By so doing, it enables us to realize our need for mercy and grace from outside ourselves. [It shows us our need for Christ.] It gives the lie to all efforts at self-justification.

The Normative Use of The Law (3rd Use of The Law)
Though God’s laws cannot justify us, grant us forgiveness of sins, or bring us new life, for the Christian, God’s laws serve as a guide to show us how to live. The Law sets before us a norm of conduct and instructs those who have been saved by grace through faith regarding the good works that should follow salvation. The Christian, therefore, is called to love God’s laws and obey them.

Source: http://www.lutheranlayman.com/2014/02/what-are-three-uses-of-gods-law.html

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Dear posters,

Or what?

Seems to me that the Bible records a lot of drooling after lusts in a blind haze by those who were bound to laws of God given before the Cross. Apparently man does not need a license to "drool after lusts".

I am indeed confident that I can live by the Spirit. In fact, I am certain that there is no other way to actually live but by the Spirit.

Galatians 2:20
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear posters,

Or what?
If we follow the two dispensations, the first, as of the flesh, and the second, as of the spirit (those born again of the spirit of God...i.e. first Adam, last Adam.....then we MUST consider (just as the scriptures say) that it is no longer we who live, but Christ who lives in me Galatians 2:20...and He is not lawless, but fulfills the law.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If we follow the two dispensations, the first, as of the flesh, and the second, as of the spirit (those born again of the spirit of God...i.e. first Adam, last Adam.....then we MUST consider (just as the scriptures say) that it is no longer we who live, but Christ who lives in me Galatians 2:20...and He is not lawless, but fulfills the law.

Interesting explanation. Do you think that the church should still teach the law? Why or why not?

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Apostle Paul seems to do a very good job edifying most of what is commanded as far as obedience and ordinance. Funny enough, the same people who dismiss the teachings before Christ also tend to dismiss a lot of Paul's teachings as well.

Paul states that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom, everyone from sexual vanities to thieves to murderers- he is a testament in and of himself that it was never seen or intended that the teachings before Christ be obsolete thereafter.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

WarningSign1.png

MOD HAT ON

This thread has been moved to the
'Sabbath and the Law' forum by CF-Staff.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a vast and complex topic, as difficult to understand as to convey.

To explain it requires a stream of consciousness style of explanation, with some repetition, a style much like Scripture uses!

The law is a means, a process, by which a harvest is reaped. A business, by which treasure is gathered.

An example of treasure being gathered through law is the traffic system. That system is put in place so that safe travel is made possible, leading to all the benefits of travel: ability to access goods, services, relationships, leisure, etc. The people who benefit from the system are those who have a vested interest in it, and when the system works, they enjoy the fruit, a safe facility. It's an asset, not a liability. It's a liability to the rule breaker.

That's why the law is for the unrighteous. It limits THEIR benefit, their profit, their treasure. The benefit for them is to do unsafe things. They see no value in having a safe system in place. For example, they get angry at being stopped at a red light when the streets are deserted. The rule benefits the owners of the system, because it provides a margin of safety, the eventuality that another vehicle may be approaching the light at a high speed, to beat the lights. Defensive driving, high safety systems, requires anticipation of abnormal situations, unsafe driving, by other users of the system. The lawbreakers love short term benefits, short cuts, saving time, etc. They have no investment in the system, they only obey rules to avoid penalties.

The benefits for the law breaker from the system by following the rules is avoiding penalties.

The benefits for the law maker from the system by following the rules is having a safe system.

The benefits for the law breaker, the son of the slave woman, old humanity with the body of death, from the law by following the rules is avoiding penalties, because of grace, undeserved favour shown to those who hear with faith, believe God's words, that obedience is required.

The benefits for the law maker, the son of promise, new humanity IN Christ, with the Holy Spirit, the power to put to death the deeds of the body of death, from the law, by following the rules, hearing with faith, believing God's command to submit our sins for cleansing, is inheriting a system that produces people who love God, Christ's brothers.

What is the Sinaitic Code?

The Sinaitic code is analogous to Sarah's attempt to bring to fruition by human effort what God had already promised unconditionally. Basically unbelief, revealed by Sarah's laughter. It was putting God to the test. God had promised a son for Abraham. She ASSUMED all attempts to make that a reality should have God's sanction, His blessings. Israel did the same thing when she tried to defeat the Canaanites without God, put God's plan to defeat the Canaanites using Israel to the test, and suffered a disaster. Sarah suffered a disaster too. As did Israel, when she asked for the law, to bring the promise to Abraham come to fruition, make Abraham's seed a blessing to the world. She lost the opportunity to enter God's rest, since God said she would never enter His rest. Unbelief leads to disaster, belief leads to success.

Jesus could have tried to bring to fruition God's promise to make Him a blessing to the world by jumping off the high building and surviving, bringing all the world to His feet, to follow Him into the kingdom of God. But Jesus said that would be putting God to the test, checking to see whether His word would come true, not being loyal, not believing Him, not hearing with faith. Jesus believed God and waited, heard God's word, with faith, unlike Sarah and Israel.

God allowed Israel to have the law. It was a subset of the law that all men have, embedded in the conscience. Romans 2 makes it clear that law and conscience were equal. Then what advantage did Israel have? Much. She was an oracle bearer. Salvation would come from the Jews, the Messiah would be Jewish. Abraham's spiritual AND fleshly seed would be a Jew.

The relevant verse is packed with information:

Romans 3:1Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God. 3What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it?4May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written, “THAT YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN YOUR WORDS, AND PREVAIL WHEN YOU ARE JUDGED.”5But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.) 6May it never be! For otherwise, how will God judge the world? 7But if through my lie the truth of God abounded to His glory, why am I also still being judged as a sinner? 8And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.

What advantage does the Jew have? Much. They were to reveal to the world how God would save, through the sacrifices, and the identity of the messiah, through circumcision. The Messiah would be a Jew! Were they unfaithful? Yes they were, but it doesn't make the prophecies any less true, God's promise cannot be nullified by bad behaviour from those entrusted with manifesting those promises. Did they also claim that their unfaithful behaviour would only make God's righteousness more distinct, as Paul was accused of preaching? They did, falsely. Their condemnation was well deserved.

They were right in revealing to the world that salvation would come from the Jews, but God laid a stumbling block in Zion and that stumbling block was Christ. The blessing to the world was "A" Seed, not "the" seeds of Abraham. Only IN Him would those who had faith in God, spiritual children of Abraham, be blessings to the world, through receiving the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 3:13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”— 14in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Why is the law a curse?

Because Adam put God to the test.

Genesis 3:1Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said to the woman, "Indeed, has God said, 'You shall not eat from any tree of the garden '?"

Loss of innocence

The old covenant was a covenant of requirements and benefits. Like all contracts, it required one party to pay and the other party to provide goods or services.

Humanity had lost the benefit of being in God's presence because of culpability, knowing good and evil and doing evil. In God's presence, Adam could, by the Holy Spirit subdue creation, subdue his body. This body had sinful thoughts, could think about disobeying God, could disbelieve God's warning, could attribute bad intentions of God's warning to a deprivation of good things by Him, things like withholding the power of being like God. The only reason Adam could be in God's presence was because these sinful thoughts and disbelief were not sin, because Adam did not have critical facilities, the ability to judge, the ability to know good from evil. This is called juvenility, the absence of complete critical ability, the reason minors are not prosecutable under criminal law. In God's presence, Adam could learn obedience, subdue his body (meet the requirements of the covenant of law) and then God would have allowed him to acquire the ability to know good from evil (be competent to chose) this being the ideal way to be under law, as it would make Adam a functional member of God's family. Away from God's presence because of loss of juvenility and subsequent culpability, humanity was stuck. Thankfully, God sent Christ.The work for Christ was to get humanity back into God's presence without dying because they were sinful: Adam's original situation. Christ had to get humanity out of the jurisdiction of the law or protect them from the ill effects of being in God's presence whilst still sinful. He couldn't reverse loss of juvenility. However He could suspend law, the obligation man had to obey the law, through putting old humanity to death.

Humanity was tied to law. The only way humanity could be untied was by death. Christ's death was the death of the old humanity, just as Adam's creation was the beginning of the first humanity's existence.Christ's obedience led to redemption of humanity in the form of payment of restitution leading to lifting of a sentence, just as Adam's disobedience was the condemnation of humanity, in the form of the removal of juvenility and the pronouncing and execution of a sentence. One led to the end of the power of the law over humanity, the other had led to the operationalization of the jurisdiction of the law on humanity.The first fruit of this act of obedience was Christ. His death was nullified and he was raised. Into an existence free of Law.Those who are baptised into Christ are baptised into His death, losing their membership in the old humanity and share in His resurrection into a new life, the life of living an existence free of Law.

Christ is not under the law and those who are IN Christ are not under the law as well. However, through the gift of the Holy Spirit, the new man can become a functional member of God's family.

Remember, there is no pressure for those IN Christ from the law. However we can use this freedom to become functional members of God's family, and live, or revert back to being slaves to sin, nurture the deeds of the body, and die.

As to, should the church teach about law, no. Why should we learn about law, when we have been taught how to make the body free of desires of the flesh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting explanation. Do you think that the church should still teach the law? Why or why not?
Sure...we should know our history.

Besides, in my brief breakdown of the current [spiritual] dispensation, I did not elaborate on what that all means for our flesh during these times. Even though our flesh is quickened to do good works and otherwise dead to sin and the law, the law is still a guide or benchmark for keeping our flesh in check. The law was always good for that, and now is no different...except that we are no longer under it, but are free from the need. So...we do not "need" the law as in the first dispensation, but we should as much as "love" the law, because it should resonate within our soul and spirit. It is good.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is rather ironic that in the depths of our depravity God must make known to us our true nature through divine revelation. The degree of our separation from God is so obtuse that it cannot be fully comprehended and must instead simply be confessed as an article of faith.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Dear posters,

Or what?

Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.

The role of the Spirit is to cause us to obey God's laws, Paul said that the law was spiritual (Romans 7:14), and Hebrews 11 is full of examples of people who obeyed God by faith, so walking in the Spirit and saying that the righteous live by faith (Habakkuk 2:4) are both referring to the correct way that someone should obey God's commands, not to a way of obeying God that is independent from obeying His commands. If you were to ask an Israelite what they thought sin was, they would point you to the law of Moses and the Bible defines sin as lawlessness (1 John 3:4). Christians are lawless to the extent that we think God's laws have been done away with in contradiction Jesus' words in Matthew 5:17-19.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... Christians are lawless to the extent that we think God's laws have been done away with in contradiction Jesus' words in Matthew 5:17-19.
And yet Jesus ended the Mosaic laws of sacrifice and instituted a new covenant, so Christians that don't recognize how "the law" has changed in that respect, also don't fully understand the gospel and the words of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I think there is two meanings for the word "lawless" in that one denotes a sort of rabid condition of unrestrained sinfulness and the other denotes lack of rules set down and enforced and no mention of sinfulness. The lawless west wasn't by default nothing but a wasteland of sinfulness as people at times banded together and created groups to restrain sinfulness even enacted laws and appointed lawmen to take care of what was needed. We see the continual insistence that the 10 commandments are the ultimate set of laws for all mankind here by some when in fact they were only set down for Israel and until Israel mankind dealt with situations based upon his conscience and God's urging to restrain evil. It wasn't until God decided that he needed a unified nation that he set down laws prior to that as we see with Moses PRIOR to the 10 commandments given laws were enacted as needed. Paul himself in the New Testament equates Gentiles as having a law unto themselves being without the Law. This flies in the face of the 10 commandments and is IGNORED with determination to impose the idea that Gentiles MUST adhere to the Law or they are sunk.
How can Paul approve of gentiles being righteous WITHOUT the Law and having a law of their own WITHOUT the Law and some here insist that they are LAWLESS and must be bound to the Law?
As in the lawless west it was called that only because there wasn't a set of rules and enforcement agency to deal with unrepentant sinfulness. Christians by default are not unrepentant sinners and should not need to have a the Law babysit them to keep them from murdering everyone around them and having wild sex with abandon. The idea behind lawlessness is that sin must be reigned in and the Law somehow accomplishes it. This fallacy is compounded by the LACK of enforcement, which is why for the most part the lawless west was at times such a mess even if there was laws they were meaningless without lawmen. The way those who promote the Law here handle it... it is like a big town with no policemen at all in their mindset they depend on NON Christian law systems and NOT the 10 commandments to police themselves and others. If one rejects the punishments that were an integral part of the Law and just yanks the 10 commandments out and says now we are lawful because we have them.... yet don't stop people from murdering and adultery and so forth then they too are LAWLESS because laws not enforced are MEANINGLESS just as in the old west a town with laws and no lawmen and no punishments was no better than a lawless town as only those who don't need laws in the first place would obey the laws that are made. This is akin to gentiles being a law unto themselves the do right without having to import a legal system (the mosaic law) unto themselves and that system is WORTHLESS to restrain lawlessness without lawmen who at that time were the levitical priesthood.

No levitical priesthood...... means LAWLESSNESS for those who aspire to that system of Law.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
And yet Jesus ended the Mosaic laws of sacrifice and instituted a new covenant, so Christians that don't recognize how "the law" has changed in that respect, also don't fully understand the gospel and the words of Jesus.

And yet Paul continued to do sacrifices in Act 18 and Acts 21 and there will be sacrifices during the Millennium. We now have a superior sacrifice, but the same basic law structure remained the same.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Dear posters,

Or what?
not I :)

But others will make this point -
It doesn't matter if the whole world goes against 2 Corinthians 3. Paul wrote the truth there by the Spirit of God. Showing clearly that the tables of stones, from Moses, ( the ten commandments_ are done away for believers and abolished.

I guess what pPaul wrote in that chapter is related to today as well, he said their minds were blinded in reading the Old Testament. Interesting he refers to the whole old testament even.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And yet Paul continued to do sacrifices in Act 18 and Acts 21 and there will be sacrifices during the Millennium. We now have a superior sacrifice, but the same basic law structure remained the same.

Animal sacrifices of Heb 10 --- brought back?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
not I :)

LoveofTruth said:
It doesn't matter if the whole world goes against 2 Corinthians 3. Paul wrote the truth there by the Spirit of God. Showing clearly that the tables of stones, from Moses, ( the ten commandments_ are done away for believers and abolished.

I guess what pPaul wrote in that chapter is related to today as well, he said their minds were blinded in reading the Old Testament. Interesting he refers to the whole old testament even.

All true Christians are not without law to God. But the law we are in is the law of Christ , the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus, and we have no confidence in the flesh.

The whole law is, a ministration of condemnation and death, as Paul said in 2 Cor 3 "7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious,...9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory."

The law is not a ministration of love or salvation or righteousness. When a man comes to Christ the law has done its purpose to show sin and lead the to the need of Christ. The law is saying you are not in love. But it is not that love of God itself, written on tables of stone. God"s love is shed abroad in a heart the that is broken and humbled and condemned and guilty by the law. Then a believer is in that love in the spirit and he is no longer under the old covenant law it is abolished for him . He can only live daily in faith not the works of the law for justification. To mix up the two misses the new covenant.

Yes,believers do works in Christ. But it is a new and living way , not them trying to establish their own righteousness (Romans 10:3) by an outward law on tables of stone, that are simply showing them they are not in the love and rest of God. Now God works in believers to make them perfect unto every good work. The law or the ten commandents and whole old covenant was outward in ordinances and laws and was weak through the flesh. It could never by those things make the heart perfect. Only the blood of Christ could do that and faith can only lay hold of God's righteousness which is Christ.

Christians have the law of Christ now , the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus, they are dead to the old covenant and are in the new. The old covenant being also the Ten Commandments and many other laws and ordinances .

new wine cannot be put in old wine skins as some try to do

Consider this section again

"2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise..."(Romans 10:2-6)

So some today say no, when we get saved and have the law of the Spirit of love written in our hearts this means we now love to do the old covenant law written on tables of stone. and we can follow the outward law now to establish our righteousness. No this is not the purpose of the law. Bu the law is the knowledge of sin and condemnation. Cursed is everyone that continueth not in all things written in the law to do them. When men are exposed as sinners by the law it has done its work and no more. it is not a ministration of the Spirit and love and rest of God. The old covenant was what men were bound up under, they had to try and walk in that law and this was the covenant, but as they tried they would be exposed in sin and need of the saviour and Gods righteousness. This can only be given through faith, not works of the law. Yet some try to say, that they have faith and love n their heart now so they can now go back to the works of the law to be justified and paul addresses this very clear here,

"2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith"(Galatians 3:2-11)

FAITH seems to be lacking in the circumcision crowd and legalist talk, yes they will give a brief assent to it, but they go back under the works of the law and try to say they need to keep the sabbath and tithing and feast days and dietary laws etc etc. they miss it and then go about to charge those who walk in the LAW of Christ , as if they have no law and are lawless and can do sin and evil and kill and covet and steal and act as if they have no law to God. this is wrong. A believer who is in the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus is not going to klll or steal or do evil to his neighbour. Because he is in the love if God, its that simple. He does not need an outward law that says don't kill your neighbour, or don't steal from him etc. He is taught of God to love and his faith works by love.

A story of what is said

Think of group of young men walking along a road and they see a large glass house that says, with a big sign. "You young men do not throw stones at this house or you will go to jail", now the young men may not have been planning to go out and throw stones but the law stirred their evil nature and they may throw stones and brake the glass house or they may not do so for fear of going to jail, but really they want to throw the stones. But now the man who is a Christians, he can walk along and see such a glass house and never need a law to tell him, don't break the glass house or you will go to jail. He will not need such a law because he loves his neighbour. He doesn't need a law to say DON'T DO THIS or THAT. He has the love of God that shows him and gives him the power to DO LOVE to his neighbour. The man who put that sign up for the young sinful men could take that sign down if they all became Christians. They do not need to even have such a sign, they are dead to that sign free from it not under it. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour against such there is no law. Yes if the believer sins God will reprove him by his light and the law will condemn if a man walks in the flesh. But as a believer lives in the Spirit he is not under the law, he is dead to it and free from it and the condemnation he was under.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steeno7
Upvote 0