Mother of God

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why is it that we never hear a thing about the grandfather and grandmother of God?
None of all this is righteous, none of it is right, nor good nor proper to discuss - as so much came from outside Christ, NOT Biblical Truth.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
None of all this is righteous, none of it is right, nor good nor proper to discuss - as so much came from outside Christ, NOT Biblical Truth.

I agree, but the Bible does not rate very high in Catholic theology and Tradition.

Upvote 0

XRho

Jul 27, 2018
Mississippi
✟9,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, it is. Can you answer it?

Short answer...I don't know. I was answering the question, "Is Mary the Mother of God?" I always viewed this as a self-evident "Yes"...even when I was Protestant. But you have given me something to ponder, friend. Maybe because the role they (Mary's mother and father) played in salvation history is not nearly as consequential, seeing that she was the most important person (non divine person) in the unfolding of God's plan of salvation. I'll see what Father says next time I see him.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Actually, it is. Can you answer it?
I'm a grandfather, and I am of Yahweh, (I am Yahweh's) ,
so
therefore ? I am Yahweh's grandfather !? :) I am Yahweh's father, I am Yahweh's son, I am Yahweh's no matter what I am ! COOL ! (HIS SHEER AMAZING GRACE ! )

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Scripture mentions Mary many times; therefore Liturgical Churches continue to honor her; this month on the 15th, variously as the Assumption, Dormation, St. Mary, Mother of our Lord. Christ's Grand Mother and Grand Father on Mary's side would be Jochim and Anna. Right, not in Scripture, but handed down in tradition.

Assumption? Some anecdotal (admittedly thin) evidence; precedents would be Elijah and Moses.
Dormation and Feast day; commemorating the day she fell asleep (died); day right or wrong; who knows?

All I know is that I will be remembering her on the 15th.

If god did not want us to know about her and remember her, He would not have told us about her in His Word.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Scripture mentions Mary many times; therefore Liturgical Churches continue to honor her; this month on the 15th, variously as the Assumption, Dormation, St. Mary, Mother of our Lord. Christ's Grand Mother and Grand Father on Mary's side would be Jochim and Anna. Right, not in Scripture, but handed down in tradition.

Assumption? Some anecdotal (admittedly thin) evidence; precedents would be Elijah and Moses.
Dormation and Feast day; commemorating the day she fell asleep (died); day right or wrong; who knows?

All I know is that I will be remembering her on the 15th.

If god did not want us to know about her and remember her, He would not have told us about her in His Word.

Then I take it that because Mary's parents are not mentioned in God's Word, God did not want us to know about them and remember them. That is an interesting perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,598.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that we never hear a thing about the grandfather and grandmother of God?
We commemorate them at the end of every Divine Liturgy. Saints Joachim and Anna.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Joachim and Anna? Maybe you just don't travel in the right circles.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree, but the Bible does not rate very high in Catholic theology and Tradition.
Thank you so kindly for telling me that the Bible doesn't rate for Catholics. But should I really believe you? I think not.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thank you so kindly for telling me that the Bible doesn't rate for Catholics. But should I really believe you? I think not.

I agree entirely. Don't believe me or anyone else or any human institution. Believe the Bible and you will be doing very well.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Joachim and Anna? Maybe you just don't travel in the right circles.

I probably don't. However, although I have observed innumerable Catholic church buildings dedicated to Mary and various aspects of her person and work, I have not found any dedicated to either Joachim or Anna. However, before you trounce me, I stand corrected. I did a quick google search and found several Catholic Churches of St. Joachim. There are even a few named after Sta. Anna.

The reality is that Mary does receive immensely more coverage in the Catholic Church than her parents do. I merely find that to be curious and nothing more. Interestingly neither of Mary's parents are mentioned in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Then I take it that because Mary's parents are not mentioned in God's Word, God did not want us to know about them and remember them. That is an interesting perspective.
Christian Forums and automobiles are not mentioned in God's Word; therefore God does not want you to know about them either; that makes about as much sense. It's a nonsence argument.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree entirely. Don't believe me or anyone else or any human institution. Believe the Bible and you will be doing very well.
I do. And that's why I'm Catholic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I probably don't. However, although I have observed innumerable Catholic church buildings dedicated to Mary and various aspects of her person and work, I have not found any dedicated to either Joachim or Anna. However, before you trounce me, I stand corrected. I did a quick google search and found several Catholic Churches of St. Joachim. There are even a few named after Sta. Anna.

The reality is that Mary does receive immensely more coverage in the Catholic Church than her parents do. I merely find that to be curious and nothing more. Interestingly neither of Mary's parents are mentioned in the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
If Jesus is the main event, it should be no surprise that his mother gets less attention than he does, and his grandparents less, and his greatgrandparents even less.

Reactions: XRho
Upvote 0