Moses/Resistance toward Anti-God Regimes: Was Exodus About Religious War/Mercenaries?

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here is a review of that program. . . .

I'm aware of that, but if you actually check it, you'll discover it NEGLECTS to refute statements like, for example, the correct location of Mount Sinai.

So it in fact appears to be more of a sour-grapes piece.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single

I'm aware of that, but if you actually check it, you'll discover it NEGLECTS to refute statements like, for example, the correct location of Mount Sinai.

So it in fact appears to be more of a sour-grapes piece.

Bruce

And how does determining the correct location of Mt. Sinai confirm the traditional accounts of Exodus?

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And how does determining the correct location of Mt. Sinai confirm the traditional accounts of Exodus?

That's only one of many explanations in the program, my point being that very few of them were refuted--hence my post that the soi-disant "refutation" appeared to be merely a sour-grape piece.

As to that location, it was more of a clarification to the account of the actual route taken from Egypt, as contrasted with the "traditional" accounts.

Bruce

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

That's only one of many explanations in the program, my point being that very few of them were refuted--hence my point that the soi-disant "refutation" appeared to be merely a sour-grape piece.

As to that location, it was more of a clarification to the account of the actual route taken from Egypt, as contrasted with the "traditional" accounts.

Bruce
In the event it was missed, there was actually an excellent presentation on the issue of Exodus which I thought did a vastly better job than anything from Exodus Decoded when it came to some of the arguments made - from Dr. James Hoffmeier:

Lecture - Dr James Hoffmeier - Egyptologist - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2vhrK6Wczs

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
pharaoh may have been describing how he perceived the Israelites, based on his fear and hatred of the foreigners

from the accounts of how abraham and his wife were treated ( pharaoh properly courted sarah,gifted things to abraham) he comes across as relatively nice fellow.And how pharaoh let go of sarah after he found out that abraham lied to him. He even allowed abraham to keep his gifts.I would say pharaoh behaved like a gentleman.

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Wow.. I guess this thread has been "resurrected" since 2014!... I noted with some interest a few of my Baha'i friends namely Bruce and Susan participated. The only thing that I have to offer is that it appears to me that the theme of Moses as a liberator from the oppression of Egypt is an important one and served as a symbol of liberation from oppression. Once the tribes of Israel proceeded through the wilderness they became more united and were better able to deal with surviving in a desert of tribal warfare and survived at the time.

Finding the Promised Land was another milestone for the development of the nation of Israel but for many years tribal issues had to be dealt with. As Baha'is we accept the Prophet hood of Moses and the Covenant He established with the tribes of Israel... Here is a summary of the story of Moses the words of Abdul-Baha:

"The children of Israel were in bondage and captivity in the land of Egypt four hundred years. They were in an extreme state of degradation and slavery under the tyranny and oppression of the Egyptians. While they were in the condition of abject poverty, in the lowest degree of abasement, ignorance and servility His Holiness Moses suddenly appeared among them. Although He was but a shepherd, such majesty, grandeur and efficiency became manifest in Him through the power of religion, that His influence continues to this day. His prophethood was established throughout the land and the law of His Word became the foundation of the laws of the nations. This unique personage, single and alone, rescued the children of Israel from bondage through the power of religious training and discipline. He led them to the Holy Land and founded there a great civilization which has become permanent and renowned and under which these people attained the highest degree of honor and glory. He freed them from bondage and captivity. He imbued them with qualities of progressiveness and capability."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 271)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums