Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do you guys do when you have missionaries from the Church of JC of LDS at your doorstep?

Has anyone ever tried talking to these guys about matters of faith? Has anyone tried to convert them? Have you had any funny experiences you'd like to share?

I had them at my place last night and we had an interesting chat for about a couple of hours.

I might share about it but I have to think about how much I want to reveal first, as I do not want to be too disrespectful to them. :)

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Our church has invitation cards so when they show up at my door i just say to them i'll take what there handing out if they take an invite to my church.

They usally say thing like "i'm not a weirdo and i just want you to keep an open mind."

so i say the same thing back and hand them an invite card. most of the time they dont take the card and they dont come back.

Upvote 0
T

thejesusfish90

The problem is that they purposefully go in pairs, so that if an argument ensues- they have the phsychological advantage over the single person arguing with them... I have never seen a mormon at my door before... and if I did I would feel sorely tempted to invite them in for an outreach conversation... my only concern would be that Mormons (and JW's) are meticulously trained to handle any objection you could possibly throw at them, so if your biblical knowledge isn't strong, then chances are they could very well 'out gun' you- something which may very well happen to me... A few things I have learned from a friend who has a particular passion for reaching mormons:
1) As would be the case case in all outreach opportunities... treat them with the utmost respect, and gently discuss their beliefs...
2) Meet them where they are... try to quote from the 'King James Authorized' version where possible- their revised version of the KJV bible (they believe that all other bibles have been corrupted by the church through the ages)
3) Be willing to let them have their say... if you want to be heard then be willing to hear from them
4) Know about their beliefs and be prepared to bring topics they might prefer to avoid discussing on outreach conversations

YBIC,

Chris

Upvote 0

TheListener

Save a cow - eat a vegetarian!
Aug 22, 2004
Sydney
✟19,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know that much about their beleifs so I listened to them and waited for an opportunity, which they gave me. They told me that for a baptism to be valid it would either have to be done by one of the apostles in the first century or by a mormon priest. The entire rest of the church, they said, was in apostacy for 1800 years until the mormons came around.

I jumped at this, of course and thre bible verses at them like where Jesus said "I will be with you always" and the famous controversial Matthew 16 verse "on this rock i will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it". They couldnt really give me a proper answer to that. Then I moved on to their claim of valid baptism and said, if Paul was not validly baptised then half the new testament is invalid. They agreed. They said Paul was with Peter and he would have been baptised then. So I said, "if Paul was baptised by someone other than an apostle it would be a problem, yes?" to which they said "yes, it would be a problem". So we flipped open Acts, and found the part where Paul was baptised by Ananias. I won't comment on their reaction as it would sound as if I'm making fun of them.

Anyway, they're always welcome at my place, I will always talk to them respectfully (which I did, I even said "God bless both of you for bringing the gospel to people"). Maybe we can both learn something new.

Upvote 0

Lil'_Miss_Princess_Aimz

Sep 20, 2005
sydney,australia
Visit site
✟30,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
it's funny u asked these q's now... at my bible study last night, we had a discussion about mormans, and what they believe and everything.

we found, that none of them can say who is the first god... as all their gods have fathers...

but yea.. i dunno what i would say to them......

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ROFL. We get them in this street at least every 2 - 3 months.

It's funny because on one side I have another Christian, on the other side I have a Muslim family. So I often wonder what reception they get from the houses next door.

Anyway, last time they came the guy was at the door, I had just gotten my kids out of the bath so they were both butt naked (ROFL) and Emily is not toilet trained and she had no nappy on either. So Emily is on my hip with no nappy on, and she actually did a wee. I am not joking about this, it was so funny. So the next day they came back because it wasn't a good time.

They gave me this chat about how to make family life better. (ROFL, they did come to my house at 6:30 at night, it's a zoo here at that time) and I just basically said that I have my own beliefs and I pray to Jesus to make our family life better, then he just goes on about their church (which I wish R was here to chat to them because he has done some research and study in to the mormon churches and some of it is really crazy but anyway) so in the end I just had to say excuse me and ask them to leave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rufus T Firefly

Mar 1, 2004
Melbourne, outer east
✟7,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We used to get them a fair bit at our place, and I was never nasty or unpleasant. For JW's, if I saw them coming up the street I'd recognise them and have their tea or coffee waiting for them when they arrived. But the person back there who said you'd have to know your stuff, was right. The book I used to do my homework was Walter Matin's Kingdom of the Cults, and I've seen a new edition out recently.

The upshot of it all was that both of 'em gave us away, they were getting nowhere, our place is on the blacklist at Kingdom Hall and at the LDS church; when they trawl the street now, they go straight past us.

Upvote 0

Rufus T Firefly

Mar 1, 2004
Melbourne, outer east
✟7,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'm on one. Not my wife so much, she stopped hanging around for the discussions, she just got jack of their unwillingness to listen.

They never come to our place any more, I asked one of 'em last Christmas time, and she said "We only go to people who are interested'. Knowing the reception they'd get from some of our neighbours, and they'll still visit them and not us, I'd say that constitutes a blacklist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

skinnybrad

Australia's own Christian punk kid with attitude
Sep 6, 2004
Brisbane Australia
✟17,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
*gets back on task*

well when i was single living at home mum and dad not being Christian used to get me to answer the door so i could battle them out yet at the same time being respectful for what they believe, one time I offered them a drink of water and the kids an ice block as it was hot outside and they greatfully accepted, so i asked if we could say Grace for it and they were happy for that to happen, by the end of 1hour we both agreed to disagree but i thanked them for sharing what they believe to help me understand it a bit better, (it still confuses me) but since i have showed them hospitality they haven't been back and the Mormans didnt return after i answered the door with a big door on a leash.

Upvote 0