LDS Mormon Requirements for Eternal Life

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I can tell you, hand on heart, between Christians I have known and Churches I have been part of - this does not happen. The only exception I have seen would be a few fundamentalists who take shots at the Catholic Church but they are by far in the minority.
I thank you for you heartfelt sentiment here. I cannot say that the sentiment of respect and Christ-like conduct is shared with all Christians/Christian churches I have encountered (some of which have been downright hateful).

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
So what happens to someone on benefits? I know things are different in different countries, but here if you were getting the maximum, you would have your housing and council tax paid for you, and receive an allowance for food, gas and electricity etc. That wouldn't leave much to tithe with - assuming you wanted to be able to pay for any kind of leisure activity.
Typically an LDS person tithes on 10% of their income. If your income is $0, then 10% of that is $0. If there is finical strain, then that person talks to their bishop about things to work something out individually.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Eternal life to a Mormon is exaltation to godhood.

"To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in Him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey His commandments.

"He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

1. We must be baptized.
  2. We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
  3. Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
  4. We must receive the temple endowment.
  5. We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.
  6. In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to:
  7. Love God and our neighbors.
  8. Keep the commandments.
  9. Repent of our wrongdoings.
  10. Search out our kindred dead and receive the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.
  11. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.
  12. Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.
  13. Have family and individual prayers every day.
  14. Teach the gospel to others by word and example.
  15. Study the scriptures.
  16. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the prophets of the Lord.
    Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow His direction in our individual lives.
Chapter 47: Exaltation
Covenants are made in the temple that must also be kept.

Phoebe Ann,

I notice Point #4: We must receive the temple endowment.

As I understand it, a "temple endowment" is your local bishop's permission to be admitted to a Mormon temple for the special ceremonies that take place there, such as Celestial Marriage.

It sounds like it is pretty difficult to get yourself on the path to Exaltation if you are having an argument with your local bishop.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Phoebe Ann,

As I understand it, a "temple endowment" is your local bishop's permission to be admitted to a Mormon temple for the special ceremonies that take place there, such as Celestial Marriage.

It sounds like it is pretty difficult to get yourself on the path to Exaltation if you are having an argument with your local bishop.
(Again, stressing that exaltation is different than salvation. These posts are not talking about salvation)

In the different Christians churches I've visited over the years, almost all of them want a person to have some level of understanding of what's going on before that person undertakes a religious rite. For example, no random Joe off the street can just walk in, become a Catholic priest and conduct Mass--- no, no. Rather they want to make sure Joe understands what it is to be a priest first, what Mass and the Real Presence is, that he's ready for things, and take the ordination steps. Whether or not Joe's spiritual mentor (such as a seminary teacher) happens to personally like him doesn't really have anything to do with it.

It is likewise with LDS rites: we want to make sure a person understands what's going on (the what/why/how) and is ready before they undertake religious rites. Whether or not your spiritual mentor (in this case the bishop) happens to personally like a person doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Typically an LDS person tithes on 10% of their income. If your income is $0, then 10% of that is $0. If there is finical strain, then that person talks to their bishop about things to work something out individually.
What you are saying is simply that the LDS teaches the three different kingdoms of glory; and it is the goal of every Mormon to live eternally with Heavenly Father which is the celestial kingdom. And so to do this a person is expected to continually prove themselves worthy as you stated concerning tithing:
"If there is finical strain, then that person talks to their bishop about things to work something out individually"
Through many discussions I have with Mormons, I have found that to be the sad reality of LDS concerning the eventual goal of living with Heavenly Father in the celestial kingdom as True to the Faith, states
“Such a goal is not achieved in one attempt; it is the result of a lifetime of righteousness and constancy of purpose” (p. 92)​
this proving worthiness via "work something out individually" that one is not confident of living eternally with Heavenly Father, in this lifetime or the next.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is for exaltation, not salvation. It is important to remember that LDS do not believe that exhalation or prefer ion are achieved in this mortal life, and for many people entire chapters come after this life (one of these chapter could very well be marriage for a person).

Clarification here: LDS do indeed believe Christ have all the the priesthood- heck it is HIS priesthood in the first place. We also believe that He bestows this authority on those He sends on His business in His Church (which LDS believe is the LDS church). Christ sending another person as His messenger never takes away from His authority/priesthood.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

I don't understand the distinction you are making between salvation and exaltation. I have read quite a bit about Mormonism and I have never seen the term "prefer ion" that you are using. What is your condition in eternity if you are saved but don't qualify for exaltation?

One of the reasons I ask about the impact of marriage on your status in eternity is that many people die before they can get married. Some die as children or adolescents, or are unmarried for other reasons. The Mormon missionaries we see on bicycles are unmarried. If they are hit by a huge pickup truck on their bicycle and pass away, are they disadvantaged in the next world because they didn't live long enough to get married?

Where I live, Orlando, Florida, is one of the nearest large cities. A while back there was a piece in the news about a Mormon couple planning to get married. The woman was shot and killed by a criminal the day before their wedding. This is bad enough for anyone but Mormon theology makes it worse. The man doesn't expect to be reunited with his beloved in eternity, he expects to be separated from her in eternity. "He [the criminal] has destroyed our family forever," the groom said.

Except for the churches that follow Joseph Smith, no one else sees it this way. There is nothing in the Bible that points to punishment for death without marriage.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
"Do all you can do and God will do the rest" or as you stated concerning tithing:
"If there is finical strain, then that person talks to their bishop about things to work something out individually"
Through many discussions I have with Mormons, I have found that to be the sad reality of LDS concerning the eventual goal of living with Heavenly Father in the celestial kingdom as True to the Faith, states “Such a goal is not achieved in one attempt; it is the result of a lifetime of righteousness and constancy of purpose” (p. 92)
I'm confused by your post here... are you sad that LDS don't believe in something like saying a 1 time prayer and then having a lifetime license to sin? That it's sad LDS believe in striving to follow Christ everyday (obviously done imperfectly)?

I do not find these things sad at all, in LDS or many of the other Christian faiths I have studied.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I have never seen the term "prefer ion" that you are using.
The typo's are real. Sorry about that.

The intended word was "perfection", and the sentence "It is important to remember that LDS do not believe that exhalation or perfection are achieved in this mortal life".
I don't understand the distinction you are making between salvation and exaltation. I have read quite a bit about Mormonism and I have never seen the term "prefer ion" that you are using. What is your condition in eternity if you are saved but don't qualify for exaltation?
Salvation and exaltation are two different things, and it is important to denote the difference.

Salvation is to be saved from death (both physical and spiritual). Exaltation is degree of glory- a certain crown, if you will. Everyone who is exalted is also saved. It is possible for a saved person to not have this greatest crown (exaltation) though, if person was lackluster in their testimony of Christ.
One of the reasons I ask about the impact of marriage on your status in eternity is that many people die before they can get married. Some die as children or adolescents, or are unmarried for other reasons. The Mormon missionaries we see on bicycles are unmarried. If they are hit by a huge pickup truck on their bicycle and pass away, are they disadvantaged in the next world because they didn't live long enough to get married?
LDS believe in a very merciful God, whom gives opportunities to be both saved and exalted not just limited to this life (this is huge for understanding LDS theology). For example, a person not even hear of the Gospel in this life and be both saved and exalted in the eternities, throughs the power fo God. For another example, LDS believe that all young children are without sin and saved, and every opportunity given to them.

I hope that clarifies things.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I can tell you, hand on heart, between Christians I have known and Churches I have been part of - this does not happen. The only exception I have seen would be a few fundamentalists who take shots at the Catholic Church but they are by far in the minority.

I brought it up because it does happen, and those of us who are LDS have seen it happen far, far too often.

Someone will display full-on hate towards us and/or lie through their teeth about what we believe. When we call them out on it, their pals will throw up a smokescreen rather than address the fact that there's a problem within their own ranks.

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
One of the reasons I ask about the impact of marriage on your status in eternity is that many people die before they can get married.

That'll be handled on a case-by-case basis.

People who never got the chance, or forwent marriage in pursuit of a legitimately higher purpose, likely won't have it counted against them.

If, on the other hand, you didn't get married because you were a disreputable person, then that's going to be where the problems lie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Phoebe Ann,

No, the endowment is the ordinances performed in the temple.

Getting a recommend to go to the temple involves interviewing with both one's bishop and one's stake president. The interview goes off on a standardized list of questions, helping minimize the matters you're concerned about.

• Agree
Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'm confused by your post here... are you sad that LDS don't believe in something like saying a 1 time prayer and then having a lifetime license to sin? That it's sad LDS believe in striving to follow Christ everyday (obviously done imperfectly)?

I do not find these things sad at all, in LDS or many of the other Christian faiths I have studied.
Not sure why you'd be confused ... since I didn't say or imply "a 1 time prayer and then having a lifetime license to sin".

Again, I'm sad that with all the LDS people I've spoken with have the eventual goal of living with Heavenly Father in the celestial kingdom is based on proving oneself worthy, yet realizing that is not obtainable (let alone confident of) in this lifetime or the next.

It's not going to happen ... ever ... a person is not going to prove themselves worthy according to the standard revealed by Jesus (present tense "Be perfect even as your Heavenly Father is"), nor be able to negotiate around it via some intermediator like a LDS bishop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Since it has come up, for the thread's consideration here is the Mormon perspective on tithing and donations:

And here is an ex-Mormon's perspective on Mormon tithing (answering criticisms from Mormons on a previous video he made on the subject):

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Not sure why you'd be confused ... since I didn't say or imply "a 1 time prayer and then having a lifetime license to sin".

Problem is, a rather large percentage of mainline Christianity hold "once saved, always saved" to be just that, and a rather large percentage of that are involved in the Christian counter-cult movement, meaning that the people you guys don't want "witnessing" to people very often are.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What the heck of reply is that? Should a Lutheran have some kind of control over what other Christians do, even if they're far removed from Lutheranism?

Mormons, you should drop this bizarre, amorphous idea of 'mainline' Christianity that you have created in your own heads that produces such bizarre replies about what "you guys" (meaning Christians) would do or want to do or whatever. I've dealt with it before myself where a poster (it might have even been ironhold; I don't remember) wanted me to somehow answer for what some unknown population of Christians who had sent Mormons death threats were doing, as though there is some kind of cabal among Christians who otherwise don't know each other to threaten Mormons' lives and security, or in this case "witness" to them according to some kind of soteriological principle that the person you're actually talking to may not even hold.

To be perfectly frank, it makes you seem paranoid and weird.

Within mainstream Christianity (again, mainline has its own definition), there is agreement on the basics of theology by virtue of being Christians, but outside of that (i.e., in matters of ecclesiology, soteriology, hamartiology, etc.), your mileage may vary considerably.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon

Again, I'm sad that with all the LDS people I've spoken with have the eventual goal of living with Heavenly Father in the celestial kingdom is based on proving oneself worthy, yet realizing that is not obtainable (let alone confident of) in this lifetime or the next.

It's not going to happen ... ever ... a person is not going to prove themselves worthy according to the standard revealed by Jesus (present tense "Be perfect even as your Heavenly Father is"), nor be able to negotiate around it via some intermediator like a LDS bishop.
Clarification here: LDS don't think a person by themselves is going to ever be clean. We *do* devote ourselves every day to following Christ, and do very much acknowledge the shortcomings. However, God doesn't work like "you do X, and only after that will I pick up a finger". No, God empowers you from the minute you wake up, till the minute you got to sleep, and even between there. He is there every moment, we just strive to be the best disciples possible.

I really recommend this video explaining LDS view on the power of grace (if you have the time, I do realize it's long, but maybe you have some mindless housecleaning to do and can listen in)

Upvote 0

twin.spin

May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Problem is, a rather large percentage of mainline Christianity hold "once saved, always saved" to be just that, and a rather large percentage of that are involved in the Christian counter-cult movement, meaning that the people you guys don't want "witnessing" to people very often are.
I can't say whether it's a large percentage however the alternative to "once saved, always saved" (OSAS) is not LDS' proving oneself worthy (which the OP is pointing out) and subsequent requirement for tithing.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I can't say whether it's a large percentage however the alternative to "once saved, always saved" (OSAS) is not LDS' proving oneself worthy (which the OP is pointing out) and subsequent requirement for tithing.
Again, LDS do not believe in "earning" one's salvation- such ideas are laughable.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Phoebe Ann,

Why would anyone argue with the bishop? I've never heard of such a thing!

A temple recommend is needed to enter the temple. The young missionaries(male and female) who go door to door have taken out their endowments and wear temple garments. Celestial marriage is separate.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What you are saying is simply that the LDS teaches the three different kingdoms of glory; and it is the goal of every Mormon to live eternally with Heavenly Father which is the celestial kingdom. And so to do this a person is expected to continually prove themselves worthy as you stated concerning tithing:
Through many discussions I have with Mormons, I have found that to be the sad reality of LDS concerning the eventual goal of living with Heavenly Father in the celestial kingdom as True to the Faith, states
“Such a goal is not achieved in one attempt; it is the result of a lifetime of righteousness and constancy of purpose” (p. 92)​
this proving worthiness via "work something out individually" that one is not confident of living eternally with Heavenly Father, in this lifetime or the next.

From the LDS perspective, it will be possible.

From lds.org:

"But people of different faiths understand the parent-child relationship between God and humans in significantly different ways. Some understand the phrase “child of God” as an honorary title reserved only for those who believe in God and accept His guidance as they might accept a father’s. Many see parent-child descriptions of God’s relationship to humanity as metaphors to express His love for His creations and their dependence on His sustenance and protection...
"The desire to nurture the divinity in His children is one of God’s attributes that most inspires, motivates, and humbles members of the Church. God’s loving parentage and guidance can help each willing, obedient child of God receive of His fulness and of His glory. This knowledge transforms the way Latter-day Saints see their fellow human beings. The teaching that men and women have the potential to be exalted to a state of godliness clearly expands beyond what is understood by most contemporary Christian churches and expresses for the Latter-day Saints a yearning rooted in the Bible to live as God lives, to love as He loves, and to prepare for all that our loving Father in Heaven wishes for His children."
Becoming Like God

That is what LDS are taught.

Upvote 0