United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think tithing is wonderful.
I totally agree, and I do give 10% when I am a member of a church. To me, it is the coercion and making people feel bad that I dislike.

But I haven't heard the sermons in five different denominations (that includes United Methodist that my neighbor took me to when I was in high school). I heard that Assembly of God encourages tithing.
Some denominations might be more prone to it, but it is more of a pastor thing and management issue than denominational. That said, I have not heard it in the Lutheran Church, whereas it is dominant in non-denom and similar as they tend to lean to prosperity doctrine theology, which is probably the pinnacle of tithe sermons, IMO.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟217,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My previous church, a Protestant church of which I was an Elder, preached on giving (not necessarily tithing) occasionally during year end budget times and pledge drives, but only in accordance with 2 Cor. 9:7

Each should give according to what he has decided in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

How much depended upon the giver. We had pledge cards people would voluntarily turn in and used them as a basis to determine our budget for the following year. Our church treasurer would keep track of them and provide quarterly statements, both for givers' personal knowledge and for tax purposes. No one else had access to these records, pastors and elders included. Certainly NOT for any "recommends" or worthiness judgments.

Upvote 0