Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And here I was just talking about that America needs to learn about Orthodoxy, and hubby told me about this article posted by one of our priest friend on his FB page. :)

More Americans join Orthodox Christian churches - USATODAY.com

A few excerpts. Well worth the entire read!!!

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — Greg Mencotti worried he would never find a spiritual home.

The Sunday school teacher grew up Roman Catholic, lost his faith and became an atheist. Eventually, he returned to Christianity, this time as a born-again Christian, spending years worshipping in a Methodist congregation. Still, he felt his search wasn't over.

That led him to the Holy Spirit Antiochian Orthodox Church in Huntington, W. Va., a denomination with Mideast roots that, like all Orthodox groups, traces its origins to the earliest days of Christianity.

Today, Mencotti is one of about 250 million Orthodox believers worldwide — and among a significant number of newcomers attracted to this ancient way of worship. The trend is especially notable since so few in the United States know about the Orthodox churches here.

In the past, their growth had been largely fueled by immigration, with churches forming mainly along ethnic lines. Some converts came to Orthodoxy through marriage to a church member.

But now about one-third of all U.S. Orthodox priests are converts — and that number is likely to grow, according to Alexei D. Krindatch, research director at the Patriarch Athenagoras Orthodox Institute in Berkeley, Calif. A 2006 survey of the four Orthodox seminaries in the country found that about 43% of seminarians are converts, Krindatch said.

There are no exact figures on the rate of conversion across the 22 separate U.S. Orthodox jurisdictions. But when Mencotti began attending Orthodox worship, the church was packed with converts, including the church's pastor, the Rev. John Dixon.

The Rev. John Matusiak, pastor of St. Joseph Church in Wheaton, Ill., part of the Orthodox Church in America, said his parish has grown from 20 people in the early 1990s to more than 600 today, with the overwhelming majority of new members younger than 40.

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Orthodoxy is a best-kept secret in this country. If many people knew the particulars of it, especially with regard to original Sin, salvation/atonement, economia, praying styles and the fabulous liturgy, I'm sure the parishes would be packed. I think Orthodoxy doesn't do a good job of getting out the word...they need advertising! :p

Upvote 0

DrCIH

Nov 4, 2011
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
✟7,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
are they becoming secular?
Secular is a soft word. In Bulgaria we have this music called "Chalga". It is something very stupid and teaches people not only to drink and aaam for example drive :), but the worse thing is, they are becoming more and more narcissistic. I think nacissism is the problem of young people now. In the 70's it was sex and drugs, but ... this is worse. Not to love everyone else, but only yourself.

Upvote 0

DrCIH

Nov 4, 2011
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
✟7,816.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Orthodoxy is a best-kept secret in this country. If many people knew the particulars of it, especially with regard to original Sin, salvation/atonement, economia, praying styles and the fabulous liturgy, I'm sure the parishes would be packed. I think Orthodoxy doesn't do a good job of getting out the word...they need advertising! :p

My opinion is, the more a religion goes out and advertises itself, the more it looks like a sect. Orthodoxy doesn't need to be advertised, cos it's a strong religion. When people feel ready to believe in God, they will come to the church. :):amen:

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is, the more a religion goes out and advertises itself, the more it looks like a sect. Orthodoxy doesn't need to be advertised, cos it's a strong religion. When people feel ready to believe in God, they will come to the church. :):amen:

Not sure how to balance the need for spreading the message (after all, Cyril and Methodius didn't wait around for the Slavs to come to them ;)). On the other hand, here in the US churches quite literally compete with each other on the free market of religion..."come here, we have a really sweet youth group...and Weight Watcher's meetings...and self defense classes." Others, including some Catholic churches, try to advertise themselves as ancient alternatives to the faddishness of our day.

So if we advertise, we run the risk of looking like another desparate sect who wants people to come and tithe money. The Liturgy will become just a selling point..."THEY have an indoor hockey rink, but WE have ancient worship..."

Of course, "How will they believe, who have not heard?"

ps. I noticed this article is from 2007. I wonder if the trend has continued.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I noticed the date of the article after posting. LOL But it's good to know it has been growing. I am impressed that this was from USA Today, not an Orthodox site, which gives more of a wide audience that are non Orthodox to have seen it. :)

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I noticed the date of the article after posting. LOL But it's good to know it has been growing. I am impressed that this was from USA Today, not an Orthodox site, which gives more of a wide audience that are non Orthodox to have seen it. :)

yea...good pub for sure! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Satt: for many "near" is a relative word. Are you sure there aren't any in driving distance.. at least to visit for one sunday? Check out this link (below). It doens't have all, but it has most... even ones not int he phonebook!

Orthodoxy in America - Home

Upvote 0

cajunhillbilly

Jul 4, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟16,522.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
I remeber attending a Russian Orthodox Church here in Dallas TX. I was truly impressed with the beauty of the liturgy. Did not like having to stand during the whole service though. And boy, when they bowed, they bowed. LOL. I am Anglican, but if I ever were to change it would be to the Orthodox Church. I just can't accept the idea of Papal infallibilty as taught by our Roman brothers. Plus I agree more with the Orthodox view of the mysteries. :liturgy::crosseo::prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
maybe I was wrong, but I suppose stats can be twisted anyway you want - this is for parishes not people, so who know how much each parish grew...

Orthodox Christian Churches in the USA
Number of
parishes in
Number of
parishes in
Changes in
number of
parishes: %
1. Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America 501 525 + 5%
2. Orthodox Church in America 456 551 + 21%
3. Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese 206 248 +20%
4. Serbian Orthodox Church in North America 118 122 + 3%
5. Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia 128 138 + 8%

So, OCA & AOC added 20% in terms of parishes, while others were flat, but that doesn't mean they didn't grow in population at existing parishes.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the reason why the Antiochian and OCA have grown so much is because it's really good with evangelism and most of the time, their services are all in English. The other ethnic parishes need to do the same, if you ask me.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know it's probably taboo to say this, but I agree. I HATE the standing aspect. It gets old. I have planter faciaitis in my left foot. I really have to plan it when I go to a divine liturgy. I wear my orthotics and have to sit down after every 25 minutes or so goes by. I always feel guilty about it...Standing is a killer and people like my mom who has Parkinson's and back problems, she heard about the standing and said, "no way!" :p

I remeber attending a Russian Orthodox Church here in Dallas TX. I was truly impressed with the beauty of the liturgy. Did not like having to stand during the whole service though. And boy, when they bowed, they bowed. LOL. I am Anglican, but if I ever were to change it would be to the Orthodox Church. I just can't accept the idea of Papal infallibilty as taught by our Roman brothers. Plus I agree more with the Orthodox view of the mysteries. :liturgy::crosseo::prayer:

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the reason why the Antiochian and OCA have grown so much is because it's really good with evangelism and most of the time, their services are all in English. The other ethnic parishes need to do the same, if you ask me.

this may have something to do with it...even though, 16% growth between the three of them is nothing to sneeze at! ;)

Upvote 0