Passing Through
✟457,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
**Update/Clarification: This includes home networks unconnected to church networks except when tithing online.

I want to present the case of the morality or immorality of churches using keylogging. This is a technology that records every key stroke one makes on their computer. Some companies and institutions can legally keylog employees on work computers but there are also illegal methods and situations where keylogging is used too.

I have come across churches using keylogging not just for those in church leadership or their volunteers but for regular church attenders. They then take their findings and tweak sermons according to the information gained. I can see pros and cons.

Pros: Monitor youth/children's ministry volunteers for the safety reasons. Monitor other church leaders concerning habits that could jeopardize their ministry (adulterous digital footprints/ abundant orders of alcohol suggesting alcoholism...etc... The argument could be made if you have nothing to hide, you should not object to keylogging. Pastors would be more in touch with the goings on in their congregations in order to customize sermons and biblical passages.

Cons: Human Nature tends to abuse power even with good intentions. Pastors and church leaders might misinterpret keylogging data. Perhaps pulpit taunts could happen over differences in the theological nonessentials unrelated to salvation. Or extreme cases where keylogging data is misinterpreted and innocent individuals are removed from their ministry calling without any understanding of why and little to no room for biblical recourse as in Matthew 18 because their "trial" was secretly completed behind closed doors over misunderstood keylogging data. Also, any keylogged information like personal struggles with one's body or emotional health are recorded for church keyloggers. Financial calculations are available for keyloggers to view too. Pastors perversely flirting with or flaming congregants over keylogged information.

My view: I know it's a new world and technology can be a help or a hindrance. Personally, keylogging unsuspecting church attenders seems like an intensely intimate violation even for completely innocent Christian targets. But I can see how some would argue for the use of keylogging today for safety and accountability in the church. I would love to know what other Christians think.
Too Big Brotherish for me. As a privacy advocate, I would vehemently resist this, not because I ever have anything to hide, but on the principle of invasion of privacy.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm leaving the region. I felt prompted to email some of these churches respectfully asking what happened. I do not believe they will reply and I'm OK with that. Truly. And I forgot I have a very handy spiritual gift in cases like these. God knows what he is doing when he gives assignments. I feel I got 5 different replies in my spirit after emailing.

1) Instant Tears
2) Feather Light Disgust
3) Bewilderment
4) Fear
5) "Eat (unclean things) and die" - this one was chanted several times, lol, over a few hours

Well, I know where I stand. It was very therapeutic to email them. My husband kept telling me I needed to let it go. I thought I was good to go. Then the spiritual promptings came on out of nowhere suggesting I contact them. I bargained to email over face-to-face. ;) May I never again elevate people too high. The inevitable let down can be atrocious.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
If churches are hacking other people's computers they have far more to worry about than moral issues as they would be actively breaking the law.. (both a crime and a sin).

That's what I was thinking. It would fall under the definition of cybercrime which carries serious prison time as far as white collar crimes go.

Most people post everything they do and think on Facebook though, and that is public once posted. It's no crime to pay attention to church members' Facebook and other social media pages to see the kind of people they are and the things they are openly engaging in.

Sure. Many people already do this in our society, not just churches. For instance, potential employers.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what I was thinking. It would fall under the definition of cybercrime which carries serious prison time as far as white collar crimes go.

Sure. Many people already do this in our society, not just churches. For instance, potential employers.

"Et tu, Brutus?" Is Your Church An NSA Spy? - Survivopedia
I wish it was illegal. I once guessed it might be government related because they are super tight-lipped about it. Groups of churches seem to have special permission from Caesar to be dirty. Bless the whistleblowers.

The problem really comes when you are marked in town because you figured something atrociously unclean was going on and called them out...on your own home computer and they responded several times until you can’t hardly attend church either because of their hostility or you own paranoia of which church leader is watching us now despite knowing you aren’t particularly interesting...so what gives? "Et tu, Brutus?" Is Your Church An NSA Spy? - Survivopedia

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0