small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since you stated (and I quoted directly) that the bible says the moon was created to give light I must assume that you see the problem. So I'm confused why you made the argument that we shouldn't see light from the moon.

The problem only exists for those who consider the Bible to be inerrant and to be read literally. Most Christians quite wisely do not.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Did not know if i still had these recordings or that i could find them.

Here are three recording two of the star venus (one recording out of focus) and one of a star out of focus.

The out of focused recording of venus, behind the swirling mass of light is the same out of focus image as the recording of the star that is out of focus (just without the light mass swirling).

venus recording in focus

venus recording out of focus

last example, a star recording out of focus

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The out of focused recording of venus, behind the swirling mass of light is the same out of focus image as the recording of the star that is out of focus

They look the same if you just close your eyes, too.

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
The out of focused recording of venus, behind the swirling mass of light is the same out of focus image as the recording of the star that is out of focus (just without the light mass swirling).

You may be on to something there. I've noticed that a lot of people look alike when I take off my glasses. Could those people really all be the same person? I'll bet that there's a conspiracy to make me believe that there are more people than there really are.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,294.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
You may be on to something there. I've noticed that a lot of people look alike when I take off my glasses. Could those people really all be the same person? I'll bet that there's a conspiracy to make me believe that there are more people than there really are.
Kind+of+reminds+me+of+the+parking+lot+is+full+_e6955e643967c7c36cc73e2bab4c44db.jpg

Reactions: Yttrium
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Since you stated (and I quoted directly) that the bible says the moon was created to give light I must assume that you see the problem. So I'm confused why you made the argument that we shouldn't see light from the moon.

The light from the moon is not seen because the moon is not lit. The moon is not another sun that is just not as bright. The moon is a created light that has a different function than the sun. The Bible never states they have the same functions or that the moon light is to be a continuous light like the sun.

Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.

The Bible only states the moon is to rule the night. The sun has never been seen out at night, so the moon is the light for the night, and when the moon is out during the day. The sun's light is greater than the moons light, so the sun's light rules the day even when the moon is out.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The light from the moon is not seen because the moon is not lit. The moon is not another sun that is just not as bright. The moon is a created light that has a different function than the sun. The Bible never states they have the same functions or that the moon light is to be a continuous light like the sun.

Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.

The Bible only states the moon is to rule the night. The sun has never been seen out at night, so the moon is the light for the night, and when the moon is out during the day. The sun's light is greater than the moons light, so the sun's light rules the day even when the moon is out.
Special pleading is not convincing.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,894.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Betty? Is that you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
D Taylor, any response to my last post in this thread?
Your last post was 818 i posted 822 two recordings of venus i had made, i found them after looking.

So instead of posting still images, post recordings of venus moving through the raqia. Showing the stages that you posted in your renderings.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,894.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
howing the stages that you posted in your renderings.
You have been told these are not renderings. Supporting information was provided to confirm this. Repeating an error after having been informed of it is a form of lying. Please correct your post and I shall then remove this request.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You have been told these are not renderings. Supporting information was provided to confirm this. Repeating an error after having been informed of it is a form of lying. Please correct your post and I shall then remove this request.

Oh so i have been told, big deal. If they are real provide video recording of these moving through the raqia.
While you are at it how about also throwing in a live recording of a spinning sphere earth.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟239,894.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Oh so i have been told, big deal. If they are real provide video recording of these moving through the raqia.
While you are at it how about also throwing in a live recording of a spinning sphere earth.
The information provided is wholly adequate. Your refusal to acknowledge it is dishonest. Shame on you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

If an honest man is wrong and after being shown that he is wrong, he either stops being wrong or he stops being honest.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your last post was 818 i posted 822 two recordings of venus i had made, i found them after looking.

So instead of posting still images, post recordings of venus moving through the raqia. Showing the stages that you posted in your renderings.

Is deflection all you have?

I posted PHOTOGRAPHS of Venus that clearly show the phases. Stop making excuses and address them.

BTW, even Galileo observed the phases of Venus. Or was he the victim of an elaborate hoax involving computer renderings as well? Galileo's Phases of Venus and Other Planets | NASA Solar System Exploration

And here's a video which shows Venus in a crescent phase (right at the end).

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 6:20(KJV):O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

This verse written about AD 125 by an unknown author and translated into English in the early 17th century uses the word science. Science, as presently understood simply did not exist in the second century. What is being referred to is philosophical speculations that passed as "knowledge" at that time. The KJV translators made an error here which has since been corrected in more recent translations.

1 Timothy 6:20(NKJV)O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge—

1 Timothy 6:20 (NIV)Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge,

Glad we got that cleared up.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You might also find Lisa Feldman Barrett’s research into how cultural concepts and related emotional ‘buy-in’ are created useful.
I am currently reading

How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain

Very readable for a brain book.

Just finished her 7 1/2 Lessons about the brain. Very easy book.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0