Moon light - the word of God vs falsely so called science

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
So you do not believe God created the moon a lesser light and this lesser light to have light phases.
Simple question: why does it go through phases as if it were being shined on by an outside source of light? You claim it goes through phases to mark the passing of time in different ways, but if that's the purpose, why would your god choose to do so in a way that makes it look like it's not generating its own light?

And, more interestingly, why do the planets we can observe go through these same phases, even though you could only tell they do so when looking through a telescope? Why do the planets and the moon go through phases as if they're being shined on by the sun, but literally no other celestial objects?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Simple question: why does it go through phases as if it were being shined on by an outside source of light? You claim it goes through phases to mark the passing of time in different ways, but if that's the purpose, why would your god choose to do so in a way that makes it look like it's not generating its own light?

And, more interestingly, why do the planets we can observe go through these same phases, even though you could only tell they do so when looking through a telescope? Why do the planets and the moon go through phases as if they're being shined on by the sun, but literally no other celestial objects?

I spent a good bit of time, in summer photoing and recording jupiter and saturn not one time did i see these two go through phases. They looked like this the whole summer.

DSCN2085+.jpg

DSCN5557+.jpg

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I spent a good bit of time, in summer photoing and recording jupiter and saturn not one time did i see these two go through phases. They looked like this the whole summer.

View attachment 269309

View attachment 269310

Of course not. They're further away from the sun then us. How could you ever see either of those planets with sunlight coming from the side if you are always on Earth?

Try observing Venus or Mercury, you'll get different results.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,773.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed

View attachment 269309

View attachment 269310

Did you observe the transit of Mercury on 11th November? Mercury appeared as a tiny dark spot silhouetted against the Sun, not as a luminous object.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Of course not. They're further away from the sun then us. How could you ever see either of those planets with sunlight coming from the side if you are always on Earth?

Try observing Venus or Mercury, you'll get different results.

I have recorded venus, nothing solid, just light. When it is slightly out of focus venus takes on the light patterns/movment of other stars.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Did you observe the transit of Mercury on 11th November? Mercury appeared as a tiny dark spot silhouetted against the Sun, not as a luminous object.

No i did not, so you saw that in person. I would like to see your recording or photos if you made any.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,773.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
No i did not, so you saw that in person. I would like to see your recording or photos if you made any.

I'm sorry; I didn't take any photographs. I saw the first hour of the transit, but then clouds covered the Sun, and by the time they cleared the Sun was too low for me to observe it. However, you can find images of the transit on the internet.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Would you care to comment on the lack of light seen from the moon during the annular eclipse I videoed the other day?

VID-20191226-WA0000_1.gif

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Would you care to comment on the lack of light seen from the moon during the annular eclipse I videoed the other day?

View attachment 269386

There should not be light from the moon. Especially when the moon is not lit by the sun and is a mostly flat disk. This solid disk just covers the sun

If i am correct the moon is not seen until it begins to cross the sun. If the moon was a sphere lit by the sun. Even before the moon comes near to the sun some light should be seen reflected from the moon around its edge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This proves heliocentricism is one gigantic fraud (the bigger the lie, the more people will believe)..
Why do people believe crazy things? Denial of heliocentrism is clearly the very definition of craziness.

My best guess is that believing wacky things is something that binds people together and solidifies group identity.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Why do people believe crazy things? Denial of heliocentrism is clearly the very definition of craziness.

My best guess is that believing wacky things is something that binds people together and solidifies group identity.
There is also the thrill of having 'special' knowledge, and in the case of conspiracy theorists, lack of trust in authorities, and a sense that the causes for an event should be commensurate with the significance of its impact.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
There should not be light from the moon.
Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.

The Bible states these lights are created to give light on the earth.
According to you the moon was created to give light BUT we shouldn't see light from the moon. Do you really not see any problem with that line of reasoning?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would also suggest that it is also a form of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
According to you the moon was created to give light BUT we shouldn't see light from the moon. Do you really not see any problem with that line of reasoning?

If the moon never gave light and the Bible stated that the moon did give light then that would be a problem.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
D Taylor, any response to my last post regarding the phases of Venus?

The image you posted was not real it is a rendering

upload_2020-1-2_20-46-47.jpeg

when venus is present i will make a recording and photos then can compare to theses renderings

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

View attachment 269556

when venus is present i will make a recording and photos then can compare to theses renderings

How about instead you compare them to these photos. And no, they are not renderings, they list the details of the camera and telescope used.

ESO

And look carefully. The image you said was renderings is included there. Apparently, this "rendering" was taken with a Nikon Coolpix.

Would you care to share your source that the image is a render and not a photograph?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 269556

You might need a better telescope than you are currently using to see the phases of Venus. You do realize that a telescope with a larger mirror and longer focal length could get a clearer picture don't you?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If the moon never gave light and the Bible stated that the moon did give light then that would be a problem.
Since you stated (and I quoted directly) that the bible says the moon was created to give light I must assume that you see the problem. So I'm confused why you made the argument that we shouldn't see light from the moon.

Upvote 0