Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. I'm drawing logical conclusions based on what is written. I don't think you understand that particular fallacy.

An argument from silence would be like dismissing Matthew's nativity narrative because Luke didn't mention Herod killing the infants.
You are attempting to read detail into the passage that is not explicitly stated ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Implicitly, yes. It does.

Which is? Verse?

Why are there phases of the moon, according to your model, anyway?

Is the sun just for light, since it explicitly says in the Bible that it divides night and day? No other purpose, then?

Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.

The Bible states these lights are created to give light on the earth. And as A_ Thinker has posted, for time keeping and also navigation.

The lights will also be used in up and coming future times, like in the tribulation etc..

All Past Time J.M. Dimbleby (the author has a very detail examination of Gods time system).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Using that argument, I can usurp the rule of the sun, ordained by God, by opening a parasol...
I wouldn't say that is usurping the sun's role ... more like shielding onself from the sun's effects ...

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it does in the same way the sun rules every single day. So it's your choice - either the sun doesn't rule every day, or the moon was created to rule every night.

In the verse, the verse does not say anything about the amount of time these lights will rule. Just that the greater light is for day rule and the lesser light for night rule

Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.

You just want the Bible to be proven wrong, so any little idea that may even hint at the Bible not being accurate. You will take and try to make the text say what the text never says.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You just want the Bible to be proven wrong, so any little idea that may even hint at the Bible not being accurate. You will take and try to make the text say what the text never says.

Not at all. I don't think this has anything to do with the accuracy of the Bible. It has to do with your silly insistence on inerrant literal history. I have no problem with the verse being understood as poetic, as many Christians do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible states these lights are created to give light on the earth. And as A_ Thinker has posted, for time keeping and also navigation.

None of these things explain why god wanted the moon to shine half the time in the day. What function of the moon can only be done during the day?

Also, please explain why the moon phases in your model.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,754.00
Faith
Atheist
I wouldn't say that is usurping the sun's role ... more like shielding onself from the sun's effects ...
Seems to me that if the sun doesn't rule when it's overcast, it doesn't rule under a parasol - or any other shade; are clouds somehow special?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In the verse, the verse does not say anything about the amount of time these lights will rule. Just that the greater light is for day rule and the lesser light for night rule
That's what I said. Not sure which part you don't understand. Perhaps it's the part where it says the sun is to rule the day and the moon is to rule the night?

You will take and try to make the text say what the text never says.
Says the person who is trying to make the bible say something other than what it says :oldthumbsup:.

By all means show us the verse where it says the sun is to rule part of the day/most (but not all) days and the moon is to rule part of the night/most (but not all) nights.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The moon.
Psalms 104:19 He appointed the moon for seasons;

The new moon is also connected to sabbaths many times in verses a new moon is mentioned when speaking of sabbaths.

and at every presentation of a burnt offering to the Lord on the Sabbaths and on the New Moons and on the set feasts, by number according to the ordinance governing them, regularly before the Lord;

And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

Blow the trumpet at the new moon, at the full moon, on our feast day.

“Thus says the Lord God: The gate of the inner court that faces east shall be shut on the six working days, but on the Sabbath day it shall be opened, and on the day of the new moon it shall be opened.

The Bible does not give a detailed function of the moon but from verses in the Bible. The phases look to be connected to functions, burnt offerings, etc...

To have a new moon the moon must go through phases.

The moon is a witness
Psalms 89:37 Like the moon it shall be established forever, a faithful witness in the skies.” Selah

Psalms 8:3 When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The moon.

The new moon is also connected to sabbaths many times in verses a new moon is mentioned when speaking of sabbaths.

and at every presentation of a burnt offering to the Lord on the Sabbaths and on the New Moons and on the set feasts, by number according to the ordinance governing them, regularly before the Lord;

And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

“Thus says the Lord God: The gate of the inner court that faces east shall be shut on the six working days, but on the Sabbath day it shall be opened, and on the day of the new moon it shall be opened.

The Bible does not give a detailed function of the moon but from verses in the Bible. The phases look to be connected to functions, burnt offerings, etc...

The moon is a witness
Psalms 89:37 Like the moon it shall be established forever, a faithful witness in the skies.” Selah

Psalms 8:3 When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

I didn't ask for the purpose of moon phases...I'm wondering about the CAUSE of moon phases.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The moon.

The moon is a witness

And of all the ways your god could've made the sun do all that, he just so happened to do so in the way that makes the Moon look like it's being illuminated by a giant, far away light source. Right

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt that the Hebrews' perception of the sun's rule has to do with sunburn ...
And I doubt your perception has to do with the message the Hebrews were trying to convey. You want to claim that the sun doesn't rule when it's overcast, but you cannot explain why it appears to continue ruling at that same time. Basically you appear to have nothing beyond an unsupported assertion.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I doubt your perception has to do with the message the Hebrews were trying to convey. You want to claim that the sun doesn't rule when it's overcast, but you cannot explain why it appears to continue ruling at that same time. Basically you appear to have nothing beyond an unsupported assertion.
Honestly ... to interpret the true meaning of the writer ... one must seek to appropriate the mindset of the writer.

To say that the sun "rules" the day is, clearly, poetic. It is not exact language. To seek to interpret beyond the experience of the writer is to miss the true meaning of the text.

Monet painted as he did because, in some cases, we do see as through "blurred glass". To attempt to put words into the mouth of a poet is a futility ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Honestly ... to interpret the true meaning of the writer ... one must seek to appropriate the mindset of the writer.

To say that the sun "rules" the day is, clearly, poetic. It is not exact language. To seek to interpret beyond the experience of the writer is to miss the true meaning of the text.

Monet painted as he did because, in some cases, we do see as through "blurred glass". To attempt to put words into the mouth of a poet is a futility ...
Oh, I agree 100%. But the poster I thought you were supporting appears to be a literalist trying to cherry pick non-literal readings where literal readings are inconvenient. I was pointing out what a literal reading of the verse in question would mean.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I didn't ask for the purpose of moon phases...I'm wondering about the CAUSE of moon phases.

The cause comes from the moons creator, the moon is working as God designed the moon to function.

Same as this redlight works as the light functions the way its designer, created the light to work.
upload_2019-12-28_12-15-56.jpeg

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The cause comes from the moons creator, the moon is working as God designed the moon to function.

Same as this redlight works as the light functions the way its designer, created the light to work.
View attachment 269239

And why is he making the planets go through phases, too?

Also, that's a total non-answer. We know how street lights work. He's asking you how you think the Moon works, and your answer is basically: 'It works that way because that's how god made it work'. Which totally doesn't answer the question of HOW it works.

It's like if I asked you how a car works, and you answered: 'It works because it was made by Toyota in a factory'. That in no way answers the question.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

View attachment 269239

Sure. I already surmised that is what you think....but how does it work? We know much about how "god designed" humans to work, photosynthesis, the water cycle, and many others.

I'm asking you how part of the moonlight is switched on and off throughout the month?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
And why is he making the planets go through phases, too?

Also, that's a total non-answer. We know how street lights work. He's asking you how you think the Moon works, and your answer is basically: 'It works that way because that's how god made it work'. Which totally doesn't answer the question of HOW it works.

It's like if I asked you how a car works, and you answered: 'It works because it was made by Toyota in a factory'. That in no way answers the question.

So you do not believe God created the moon a lesser light and this lesser light to have light phases.

That is fine with me.

Upvote 0