• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Monastic community

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Silverback, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Mount Athos, has monastic communities that are Bulgarian, Serbian, Russian, Greek, and even Romanian Skete's.

What would happen if someone wanted to finance, and open an American/English speaking monastery on Mount Athos? Could it be done?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,447
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Theoretically I don't see why it couldn't happen. I suppose it just hasn't since most people who go there do so with full intentions of joining one of the already existing communities.

3. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+16,452
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    If you want to read REALLY extensively, you are forced to either wait on translations and be limited by what others decide to translate ... or learn one (or more) of the historic languages where Orthodoxy already has a treasury. I suspect this sways a lot of people rather early on in any lifetime pursuit of such a vocation.

Just a guess. And probably there are more reasons. Especially liturgical ones, I would guess.

But I don't imagine Mt. Athos is necessarily set against English.

4. Silverback

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Thank you

5. Silverback

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    There is some interesting history surrounding Mount Athos, I recently found out there was a "Catholic" Monastery at one time, it was referred to as Romanish, or Latin. Additionally, one of the Persion Emperor 's dig a canal across the peninsula in order to avoid being dashed on the rocks when sailing around the southern tip.

I was stationed in Greece when I was in the US Navy, I always wanted to visit Athos, but I could never seen to get passed the bureaucratic headache.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,579
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    in theory I think it could happen. will it? I doubt it.

7. Silverback

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    guess I will have to hit the megamillions!

8. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,447
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Since Mt. Athos is pretty much considered the greatest of Orthodox monastic communities I used to be super bitter that women cannot even set foot there(thus no pilgrimages), but eh...I have kind of gotten over it since it's a rule that's unlikely to change.

9. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The laws of Athose only allows for 20 monasteries. Sketes are all dependant on whether monks are allowed in.

10. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think you mean the Latin rite Amalfion Monastery that operated from around the 10th or 11 century to 13th century.

11. PittBullMom

PittBullMom Active Member Supporter

+304
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Wasn't it only after an apparition of Theotokos? I think I read the decided she would be the last woman to step foot on the ground there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Silverback

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I think you are correct.

13. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,447
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    It was, although exceptions were made during the Nazi occupation of Greece. Many refugees, women included, hid out there.

14. The Faceless

The Faceless Has A Face

+435
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I did not know this. I had always thought that the rule was about limiting temptations as much as possible. A "do not cause your brother to stumble" situation.

15. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,447
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    If that was the case then I think women's monasteries would ban Male pilgrims. They don't as far as I know.

16. The Faceless

The Faceless Has A Face

+435
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I think some of them do.

17. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    That is also part of the reason.

18. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,447
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    Then why are men allowed at women's monasteries?

19. Silverback

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    There were also some refugees from somewhere that washed up on there shores some years ago.

Additionally, several women have infiltrated disguised as men, and in at least one occasion wrote an article about it after.

I also seem to remember reading that the monks sheltered allied airmen who bailed out of there bombers over southeast europe.

Considering greater than 10% of the Greek population died during the war, Athos would seem like a good place to hide out.

20. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+2,242
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The same reason why women are allowed at 99% of men's monasteries.
    Before Athos was regulated centuries ago anyone could go and even set up huts including prostitutes. There were over 10,000 monks on Athos (maybe more in the 14th century).
    They have always allowed in women and children during times of crisis. During the Greek uprising of 1821 on the southern mainland thousands of women and children took refuge on Athos against reprisals (Turks sold of Rum women as slaves with into the 1800's). Unfortunately massacre and reprisal still took place in 1822.