modesty and culture.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe modesty is not really cultural? People say it is, but I think people regardless of their background know what is the most appropriate to wear.

The issue raises certain questions. For example, would cultures with stricter modesty standards be more modest from a Christian perspective, or not in an absolute sense?

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe modesty is not really cultural? People say it is, but I think people regardless of their background know what is the most appropriate to wear.

The issue raises certain questions. For example, would cultures with stricter modesty standards be more modest from a Christian perspective, or not in an absolute sense?

b9e5f4a601d68d2637b803a9e8fec02e.jpg

Example of extreme modesty in a certain cultural context.

• Friendly
Reactions: Aleksandros
Upvote 0

Aleksandros

May 17, 2017
Bangalore
✟28,296.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it is not cultural, but is a sort of innate human "common sense", which the onslaught of culture - weather in wealthy Rome or America, can bury. Even the Romans used to consider it a virtue (lol)

Are men everywhere, for instance, (except in certain incredibly odd indigenous tribes) the same? Aye, they are, with minor differences.

That's one reason.
Second, most cultures (at least, civilised ones) have agreed that it is a virtue, even if they only gave it lip service.

One strong reason for being modest is - and this one is for men too - just not causing people to sin by lusting. So wherever you have humans, you have need for modesty.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Modesty is a function of the heart.

Fashion is cultural, and there is always a range; several ranges in fact, from very formal to very informal. Usually the appropriate choice will be context dependent. We learn these contexts and appropriate dress without realising we are doing it, just from seeing the people around us. Those we like we emulate; those we do not like we try to differentiate ourselves from.

Generally speaking people of faith will tend towards the more conservative side of the available choices, whatever they may be, and stay with those choices fairly consistently. They will identify themselves and be identified by other people as people of faith because of their fashion choices. But this does not make what they wear more moral; it isn't.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe it is not cultural, but is a sort of innate human "common sense", which the onslaught of culture - weather in wealthy Rome or America, can bury. Even the Romans used to consider it a virtue (lol)

No, culture is learned, it isn't intuitive.

Are men everywhere, for instance, (except in certain incredibly odd indigenous tribes) the same? Aye, they are, with minor differences.

If men are the same everywhere except in some cases then men are clearly not always the same.

That's one reason.
Second, most cultures (at least, civilised ones) have agreed that it is a virtue, even if they only gave it lip service.

One strong reason for being modest is - and this one is for men too - just not causing people to sin by lusting. So wherever you have humans, you have need for modesty.

Clothes do not prevent lust. It is not the responsibility of the target to prevent anyone from sinning.

Taking a cold shower and deciding to not lust after other people is the way to prevent lust.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Which generally increases lusting.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That's one reason.

Here is proof modesty in my opinion is not really cultural.

The guidelines we’ve been discussing apply to cultures that are similar to modern America. But there are other cultures who are running around with far more or less clothing on. In some cultures, women don’t wear shirts. Once everyone is not wearing shirts, bare breasts stop becoming the tantalizing thing that they are in cultures that are always covering up. If you live in a bare top culture, you are not dishonoring God by not wearing a shirt because this is your cultural norm. Likewise, men who are running around in jungles with nothing but a coconut shell around their essentials are not being crude. Every culture has a different concept of normal, modest, and seductive behavior.

Clothes, Makeup & Jewelry: Guidance for Christian Women

http://www.chapellibrary.org/files/4313/7643/2903/cmod.pdf

I must raise two questions here: l) Given that modern swimsuits were designed to promote public nakedness and remain the most revealing form of clothing, why do so many Christians wear them in mixed company and encourage their young people to do so? 2) Why do Christian ministers and leaders expose God’s young men and women to the disquieting experience of “greater body exposure” in the name of evangelizing them? As the above authors admit, there is a forced and uneasy alliance between modesty and sexual display. The Bible speaks of covering the body; the world promotes uncovering the body. Should preachers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ be involved in promoting sexual display for which our young people would have been arrested sixty years ago?

• Agree
Reactions: Conker
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here are male and female bathing suit, circa 1890:

1890s11.jpg

Here are male and female bathing suits, circa 2017:

2017-New-Brand-font-b-Couples-b-font-Sexy-Bikinis-Set-Beach-font-b-Swimwear-b.jpg

If you don't think that shows a cultural change in attitudes regarding modesty then you are missing something. Oh, and the 2017 suits are actually fairly modest by current standards.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, culture is learned, it isn't intuitive.

If men are the same everywhere except in some cases then men are clearly not always the same.

Clothes do not prevent lust. It is not the responsibility of the target to prevent anyone from sinning.

Taking a cold shower and deciding to not lust after other people is the way to prevent lust.

A woman showing everything but her privates in a bathing suit to me makes her responsible if men lust after her, and there are several reasons why I believe so.

• Agree
Reactions: HighCherub
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A woman showing everything but her privates in a bathing suit to me makes her responsible if men lust after her, and there are several reasons why I believe so.

No, it does not make her responsible. The man is responsible for his actions.

What about a man showing even more in a bathing suit? What if women lust after him? Or is that somehow different?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, it does not make her responsible. The man is responsible for his actions.

What about a man showing even more in a bathing suit? What if women lust after him? Or is that somehow different?

It's one thing to wear a t shirt and shorts, but some bathing suits essentially make women look naked and only cover their private areas. A person is responsible if they draw attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Buju

Jul 30, 2017
Midwest
✟8,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never seen any verses explicitly laying out modesty standards for us, however we should not provoke each-other to sin. If you see a woman's bare thigh it will almost always provoke a man to lust (unless they have really good self-control). Yes a woman dressing modestly can still be lusted after, but we should never pour gas on a fire. Literally or metaphorically.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's one thing to wear a t shirt and shorts, but some bathing suits essentially make women look naked and only cover their private areas. A person is responsible if they draw attention.
But a male bathing suit doesn't include a top. It hasn't done so for decades.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the New Testament, modesty was referring to the discouragement of open physical display of wealth. Excessive jewelery, expensive and or exotic clothes.

The hourglass female figure and V-shaped male physique are designed to attract, just as the symmetrical facial features are designed to get second glances.

What causes sexual lust (passion) is the scent given off by the female at certain times. Many colones and perfumes have been manufactured to cover this scent and redirect the attention to the 'success' of these.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've never seen any verses explicitly laying out modesty standards for us, however we should not provoke each-other to sin. If you see a woman's bare thigh it will almost always provoke a man to lust (unless they have really good self-control). Yes a woman dressing modestly can still be lusted after, but we should never pour gas on a fire. Literally or metaphorically.

That is just, well, weird. I don't think at all that almost all men would lust after seeing a thigh. How the heck do you get through warm weather when the women are wearing shorts?

Upvote 0

Buju

Jul 30, 2017
Midwest
✟8,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's actually a good point. I did word that funny. Sorry about that. I'm not saying that everytime a guy sees that that he automatically starts lusting. I'm saying that stuff like that will provoke a man to it, but to answer your question I use self control to not look there. Think about why you'd look there. There's no good reason to other than to "admire" her legs. Unless she has an injury I guess. If you see a girl walking up and see her legs as you look over I'm not saying that would do it either, but if you're looking at her legs instead of making eye contact as she walks over that's another thing. My original comment about self control was more like if a guy was staring at a girls legs. I wasn't very clear about that though. I apologize for the confusion.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is just, well, weird. I don't think at all that almost all men would lust after seeing a thigh. How the heck do you get through warm weather when the women are wearing shorts?

So there is no shame in a woman baring her thighs to men when it comes to modest?

To be balanced, thighs are a risk when it comes to dressing immodest.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So there is no shame in a woman baring her thighs to men when it comes to modest?

To be balanced, thighs are a risk when it comes to dressing immodest.
Why are female thighs a risk when it comes to dressing immodest? Are male thighs a risk when it comes to dressing immodest? After all, a speedo exposes the thighs.

And in answer to your question, no, there is no shame in anyone baring their thighs.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Modesty is a function of the heart.

Fashion is cultural, and there is always a range; several ranges in fact, from very formal to very informal. Usually the appropriate choice will be context dependent. We learn these contexts and appropriate dress without realising we are doing it, just from seeing the people around us. Those we like we emulate; those we do not like we try to differentiate ourselves from.

Generally speaking people of faith will tend towards the more conservative side of the available choices, whatever they may be, and stay with those choices fairly consistently. They will identify themselves and be identified by other people as people of faith because of their fashion choices. But this does not make what they wear more moral; it isn't.

http://www.plainbibleteaching.com/2006/04/01/modest-apparel/

What parts of their bodies did God cover so that they would no longer be naked? According to Strong’s Dictionary, the Hebrew word means a garment that went from the shoulders on down. God covered their chests and backs. After doing this, they were “clothed” and no longer “naked.” But how far below the waist needed to be covered? To the ankle? The knee? Halfway down the thigh? Let us look at other passages that will help us determine this.

In God’s instructions regarding the clothing for the priests, He said “You shall make for them linen breeches to cover their bare flesh (nakedness, KJV); they shall reach from the loins even to the thighs” (Exodus 28:42). What was considered nakedness? Exposing the loins and/or the thighs. Another helpful passage is Isaiah 47:2-3. This passage says: “Remove your veil, strip off the skirt, uncover the leg (thigh, KJV), cross the rivers. Your nakedness will be uncovered, your shame also will be exposed.” When one’s thigh is uncovered, they are considered naked.

What do these passages teach us? If the chest, back, loins, or thighs are exposed, one is naked by God’s definition. In order to dress in “modest apparel” (1 Timothy 2:9), we need to be sure we cover those areas.

Upvote 0