Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
They do condemn other churches for not following the Sabbath. However, they do not believe they are the only ones saved. To quote adventist.org:
My first introduction to the SDA church was a friend in High School who wasn't allowed to read fiction because "It's a lie."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My first introduction to the SDA church was a friend in High School who wasn't allowed to read fiction because "It's a lie."
I have run into a few of them as well. Not all were SDA.

They also have the belief that the parables were all factual events, because if they were not, then they were lies as well.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, that is not limited to SDA, nor it is an official stance of the SDA from what I can tell. I went to a Baptist (SBA) school for many years (K-8th grade) and was told essentially the same, although they did allow literary fiction.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have run into a few of them as well. Not all were SDA.

They also have the belief that the parables were all factual events, because if they were not, then they were lies as well.
Yeah, I met someone like that once. Really disturbing.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Most of the ones I have met were old line pentecostals.
A long time ago I had an email relationship with an ex-UPC pastor. It had been years since he had left the UPC, but he was still struggling with it. His wife had left him, and all his old friends had shunned him. He told me terrible stories of how he had done things like cut ribbons out of little girls' hair so they wouldn't be Jezebel's. He left primarily because he came to see how destructive and ungodly his legalism had been. But the thing that jarred him the most was getting a glimpse of how overly concrete and literal his thinking is. He has seen just enough to realize he has a problem, but not enough to escape it. Wonderful man, though. Very devoted to God.

• Optimistic
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
tampasteve said:
FredVB said:
Though I would hear otherwise from other believers plenty of times, I was not ever thinking of SDA as a cult. That they have the right gospel is what matters. I went though in recent times to visit one of their churches at a service. What I heard from the minister was rather condemning of other churches and those in them, even speaking of those who had not continued at this church as having fallen away. And this was preached even maybe specifically for when I was the visitor there. This was quite like what I would think would be cultish.

They do condemn other churches for not following the Sabbath. However, they do not believe they are the only ones saved. To quote adventist.org:

There are many precious people who have lived up to all of the faith they knew, and died trusting in Jesus. There will be more than just Seventh-day Adventists in heaven!

How generous to consider other believers who come to Christ that is. Many of them yet will still believe the gospel that is effective for all coming to Christ, as he had promised, I'm sure.

That was though not clearly communicated in what I heard in what was preached then. Though it was not said this was suggesting this was alone the right church, if you stopped attending there you were fallen away. It is my hope that this is not what the attendees there really believe.

Open Heart said:

That would not be for me. I really wouldn't belong with such in fellowship, as I am writing, and I do write fiction. It is with one goal among others to achieve suspension of disbelief, this is really for greater enjoyment and interest in a story. There is clarity yet with stories even just being designated as fiction that they are not for being in totality accepted as entirely true so there is not deliberate deception, other than for bringing up things in a story contrary to what readers were led to expect.

I share samples of some writing from me in places, as here in the forums, on Facebook, and a few other places, and some stories from me are published.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was though not clearly communicated in what I heard in what was preached then. Though it was not said this was suggesting this was alone the right church, if you stopped attending there you were fallen away. It is my hope that this is not what the attendees there really believe.
Unfortunately many pastors, in any denomination, have problems clearly communicating what their church actually believes, and many people attending do not take the time to know for themselves. I recently read elsewhere on the forum how a Baptist person thought that her church believed that Yeshua was the literal son of G-d, and not in the normal Trinitarian way, but rather Arian (though not knowing that term).

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FredVB said:
How generous to consider other believers who come to Christ that is. Many of them yet will still believe the gospel that is effective for all coming to Christ, as he had promised, I'm sure. It seems that had the suggestion that it would be mainly Seventh Day Adventists that would have the hope of heaven, along with others who would have been Seventh Day Adventists had they had the enlightenment but in their circumstances remained in ignorance regarding that, as if it was not with coming to Christ according to the gospel as he said that would be the way, and some can be informed and see to not join the Seventh Day Adventists.

That would not be for me. I really wouldn't belong with such in fellowship, as I am writing, and I do write fiction. It is with one goal among others to achieve suspension of disbelief, this is really for greater enjoyment and interest in a story. There is clarity yet with stories even just being designated as fiction that they are not for being in totality accepted as entirely true so there is not deliberate deception, other than for bringing up things in a story contrary to what readers were led to expect.

I share samples of some writing from me in places, as here in the forums, on Facebook, and a few other places, and some stories from me are published.

tampasteve said:
Unfortunately many pastors, in any denomination, have problems clearly communicating what their church actually believes, and many people attending do not take the time to know for themselves. I recently read elsewhere on the forum how a Baptist person thought that her church believed that Yeshua was the literal son of G-d, and not in the normal Trinitarian way, but rather Arian (though not knowing that term).

I see that unfortunately many who come to church, as Christians, are not learning readily anything for better understanding or personal growth, or anything for useful change or betterment, other than what they hear of teaching and preaching in that church. A significant number seem to have a problem even getting things from the Bible themselves.

The son of God is the incarnation of Logos, the Word of God, with God as God, as a human being, this is what the term is meaning, just as this term for the child of Mary was told to her with the revelation from the angel visiting her. This meaning is missed by many, and some with heretical beliefs will use that lack of understanding among others with the confusion brought up with it. There is not to be the sense from the term that the Son of God is derived, as a son is derived biologically, and genetically, from parents, for Christ is worthy of that equality with God, being the image of God, and all things in heaven and on earth were created by him, and he is one with the heavenly Father.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0