Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
And it seems, and/or I've read, that women going that direction in or with a wrong spirit have made themselves un- or less desirable to Honorable Christian Men.
And that's a bad thing, why? If your standards are unreasonable, of course women aren't interested in a man who wants to hold them back, effectively

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Just because someone 'points out' what they regard as a problem doesn't mean that I have to change anything.

If you're just going to be stubborn, that's showing you aren't willing to consider yourself critically, which is disingenuous, unless you don't care about being correct

Many of the so-called problems being cited are a natural result of human nature. Not much can be done to solve them. In fact they get worse in many cases. We need to study our nature more in order to find productive solutions. Unfortunately most don't want to reveal their true nature to others.

I'm not bothered much by these women's issues. I've remained single after my divorce years ago and am very content. I know what I know, and care little about what others conclude. I fulfill my social responsibilities and take comfort in that.

The "nature" you speak of is not necessarily solved so easily, but the solutions presented aren't so effective if they're relying on tradition over innovation. Studying our nature and reaching invalid conclusions won't help either

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you're just going to be stubborn, that's showing you aren't willing to consider yourself critically, which is disingenuous, unless you don't care about being correct

As in politically correct?

My (then) wife wanted me to quit hunting, because she was against hunting (which she never revealed until we were married). No way that was going to happen. Was that 'incorrect' of me?

The "nature" you speak of is not necessarily solved so easily, but the solutions presented aren't so effective if they're relying on tradition over innovation. Studying our nature and reaching invalid conclusions won't help either

Only God can 'solve' our nature problem. But we can recognize it for what it is and try to mitigate the bad part of it through education.

What are those 'invalid' conclusions we are reaching?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
God gives other Instructions, not through education, how He takes care of or deals with our sinful nature.
Only God can 'solve' our nature problem. But we can recognize it for what it is and try to mitigate the bad part of it through education.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God gives other Instructions, not through education, how He takes care of or deals with our sinful nature.

God's instruction isn't allowed in our schools, where it is badly needed. Substitute proclivity for nature and instruct the kids that way.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why should you teach YOUR version of God to kids in school ? I’m quite sure that would go over like a lead balloon with someone who wasn’t Christian or even with some Christians who don’t accept certain of YOUR dogmas. I know I’d be flipping out if I found out the school was teaching YEC ideas instead of accurate science information

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why should you teach YOUR version of God to kids in school ? I’m quite sure that would go over like a lead balloon with someone who wasn’t Christian or even with some Christians who don’t accept certain of YOUR dogmas. I know I’d be flipping out if I found out the school was teaching YEC ideas instead of accurate science information

Moral principles can be taught without invoking religion. If kids are the hope of the future they should be equipped to deal with the moral issues, especially those that will affect them personally. The problems the kids face now are social and moral in nature, not economic, political, or intellectual.

Of course there are those who will smell religion in any moral teaching, and raise the roof about it. Sad.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There’s nothing wrong with teaching morality in school . Many schools have no bullying policies in place for that very reason. They’re quashing abusive behavior . Unfortunately religious instruction in public school doesn’t always limit itself to basic morality or civility

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There’s nothing wrong with teaching morality in school . Many schools have no bullying policies in place for that very reason. They’re quashing abusive behavior . Unfortunately religious instruction in public school doesn’t always limit itself to basic morality or civility

The problem is rooted in the school environment itself. All the kids are doing is what everyone else is doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The problem is rooted in the school environment itself. All the kids are doing is what everyone else is doing.
I remember elementary school - most kids behaved . Junior high ( middle school) was a whole different story I remember being deeply shocked by some of my classmates behavior. High school , most kids behaved and thought the ones that didn’t were stupid .....unless they were the class clown :) and I graduated high school in 72.

I taught an after school science class recently and it was the teenyboppers who caused the most problems.( usually not for me , I tend to respect kids if they respect me)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I remember elementary school - most kids behaved . Junior high ( middle school) was a whole different story I remember being deeply shockEd by some of classmates behavior. High school , most kids behaved and thought the ones that didn’t were stupid .....unless they were the class clown

When I was in HS most misbehavior took place after school.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why is a wrong spirit bad ? By definition.

That's circular reasoning, you're already assuming something is wrong because of a preconceived definition that you're not questioning

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
God's instruction isn't allowed in our schools, where it is badly needed. Substitute proclivity for nature and instruct the kids that way.
"Our" schools is a bit loaded: religious education in the sense of making claims about the religion being true is prohibited in public schools, not private ones, particularly parochial ones where that's more the case as a matter of course

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
As in politically correct?

My (then) wife wanted me to quit hunting, because she was against hunting (which she never revealed until we were married). No way that was going to happen. Was that 'incorrect' of me?

What are those 'invalid' conclusions we are reaching?
You insinuated that word, I'm just talking about as close to accurate as possible given information: I could be wrong about things I hold as true, I'm willing to acknowledge it

It was iffy of you to not seemingly communicate things like that to your wife, which might've been why you got divorced, but I'm no expert on that subject

The invalid conclusion is suggesting that our nature is dualistic and that there is some supernatural element to our existence, which hasn't been demonstrated, only fallaciously inferred

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It was iffy of you to not seemingly communicate things like that to your wife, which might've been why you got divorced, but I'm no expert on that subject

We divorced because we were just too different to remain together. They call it "irreconcilable differences". My daughter is also against hunting, and recently my four year old granddaughter asked me "would I please not kill the animals".

Of course I had to disappoint her with my answer.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The invalid conclusion is suggesting that our nature is dualistic and that there is some supernatural element to our existence, which hasn't been demonstrated, only fallaciously inferred

Actually it's the only conclusion that makes sense to me. But that's me. :)

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
We divorced because we were just too different to remain together. They call it "irreconcilable differences". My daughter is also against hunting, and recently my four year old granddaughter asked me "would I please not kill the animals".

Of course I had to disappoint her with my answer.
There's a difference between disappointing someone because you have to and disappointing them because it's a hobby. I don't begrudge someone who's served in the military, I do in terms of them encouraging warfare in a needless fashion, for a comparison of sorts

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Actually it's the only conclusion that makes sense to me. But that's me. :)
Not sure why something making sense to you is the be all end all of any argument, especially on a topic that's of supposedly such incredible importance. It's one thing if I personally conclude that putting Cheese Wiz in those vanilla sandwich cookies is the best idea ever, but I learned that from another and tested it, it wasn't just an idea I went with. And I tested it in a way that's unambiguous, especially.

I don't claim humanity is infallible at all, but the other extreme is no more rational in saying we're fundamentally flawed to a point we can't work to improve ourselves.

Upvote 0