Mindful meditation. Is there a place for it with Christians?

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've heard so many beneficial things about it but kinda on the fence about it. It's not like other forms of meditation that have a lot of Buddhism ideology like chakras and stuff. Basically it's just sitting there focusing on your breathing and when you notice your mind is wandering you bring it back to the breath.
Of course I know that meditating on the Lord is the best form of meditation, but in that case you are still thinking and becoming emotional so it's not the same.. Not that it's bad.. I'm wondering if a Christian could benefit from mindful meditation as well? But this would require sitting there not thinking too much about God/The Bible (or anything) and wonder if this could be a sin or upsetting to God.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've heard so many beneficial things about it but kinda on the fence about it. It's not like other forms of meditation that have a lot of Buddhism ideology like chakras and stuff. Basically it's just sitting there focusing on your breathing and when you notice your mind is wandering you bring it back to the breath.
Of course I know that meditating on the Lord is the best form of meditation, but in that case you are still thinking and becoming emotional so it's not the same.. Not that it's bad.. I'm wondering if a Christian could benefit from mindful meditation as well? But this would require sitting there not thinking too much about God/The Bible (or anything) and wonder if this could be a sin or upsetting to God.

There is a long tradition within the Christian faith of meditation and contemplative prayer. There are various methods from the hesychasm of the Eastern Orthodox to lectio divina and recollection in the western church. Do yourself a favor, mindfulness is fine for practical benefits, but learn about the methods of contemplative prayer in the various Christian traditions. What you're looking for is already there and rightly oriented toward Christ and the divine presence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you brothers, I just Googled into this and found a simple centering prayer tutorial and surprised how similar it is to mindful meditation but I am including the Lord into it and using it to build a deeper relationship with him but at the same time getting the same benefits plus a whole LOT more! Such a simple but breakthrough discovery for me I am excited to include into my life to see how it can transform not just my mind but my Spirit!

Upvote 0

Brother-Mike

Predetermined to freely believe
Aug 16, 2022
Toronto
✟41,941.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you brothers, I just Googled into this and found a simple centering prayer tutorial and surprised how similar it is to mindful meditation but I am including the Lord into it and using it to build a deeper relationship with him but at the same time getting the same benefits plus a whole LOT more! Such a simple but breakthrough discovery for me I am excited to include into my life to see how it can transform not just my mind but my Spirit!
Mind sharing the link? :grinning:

Upvote 0

surreal_platypus

Aug 24, 2022
Minnesota
✟11,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Friendly
Reactions: Brother-Mike
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The Bible tells us what we should think about: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Worldly religion and philosophy promotes meditation and "mindfulness". An empty mind is Satan's playground. That's why we are exhorted to think on positive things. You cannot think two thoughts at the same time. May as well think about good things!

Upvote 0

Ray Glenn

Jun 10, 2021
Birmingham
✟31,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was a Regional Sales Manger for years. Flew from Tampa north or west every other week. On the week I was in the office I took half a day off and vanished. The phone was turned off and I was officially "out of pocket" The Marketing Secretary and her husband were very close friends of mine. She came into my office one afternoon and asked "What do you do on the afternoon you disappear?" She knew I would answer truthfully.
"Play golf" "With who?" "Just me and God" ... "Never with anyone else?" "Just me and God" "I can't imagine." "Because God and I have a lot of things to talk about." Years later she asked "Did you keep score?" "For what?" "Golf" "This is a conversation between me and God. Time alone. Time to forgive and be forgiven. My time with God and he doesn't care about golf scores. He cares about me as I love him."

Upvote 0

Ray S

Aug 21, 2022
Summerfield
✟15,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible tells us what we should think about: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)

Worldly religion and philosophy promotes meditation and "mindfulness". An empty mind is Satan's playground. That's why we are exhorted to think on positive things. You cannot think two thoughts at the same time. May as well think about good things!

Meditating, in my opinion, is a very positive practice as long as we do keep the scripture you cited very much in mind.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I just got out of the pool. I layed backwards so my ears were underwater, and closed my eyes and let the sun beam down on my face. All I could hear was the underwater sounds and the sounds of breathing. I thought of nothing.

...This is peaceful meditation.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a simplified form of mindfulness pioneered by Harvard professor, Herbert Benson, MD. Benson is credited for demystifying meditation and helping to bring it into the mainstream, by renaming meditation the “Relaxation Response." (Instructions to elicit the Relaxation Response - one page pdf)

... Dr. Benson found that the physiologic changes elicited by six different techniques (Transcendental Meditation, Zen and Yoga, Autogenic Training, Progressive Relaxation, Hypnosis with suggested deep relaxation, and Sentic Cycles) approximate these changes elicited by the Relaxation Response. The physiologic measurements consisted of oxygen consumption, respiratory rate, heart rate, alpha waves, blood pressure and muscle tension.

Key Religious Equivalents to the Relaxation Response
1. St. Augustine, Martin Luther, Fray Francisco de Oscuna, St. Theresa, Father Nicolas, and other early Christian ascetics and mystics practices “contemplation” and “recollection” in order to shut off the mind from external thoughts and to produce a passive attitude and mental solitude.
2. Contemplation or meditative exercises are found in early Judaic literature. Merkabolism, the earliest form of mysticism in Judaism, involved repetition of a magic emblem. A 13th century Rabbi, Abulafia, used the letters of God’s name as an object upon which to meditate. He also incorporated yogic breathing and body posture techniques.
Relaxation Response: Dr. Herbert Benson Teaches You The Basics

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've heard so many beneficial things about it but kinda on the fence about it. It's not like other forms of meditation that have a lot of Buddhism ideology like chakras and stuff.

Chakras aren't Buddhist.

Basically it's just sitting there focusing on your breathing and when you notice your mind is wandering you bring it back to the breath.

Mindfulness is a practice that is not specifically religious, but it potentially has religious implications.

Centering prayer is similar, however, the context in which these practices are undertaken has alot of influence. Buddhism or secular mindfulness do not posit any kind of union with God or a god. The goal of Buddhist mindfulness is the cultivation of profound equanimity and letting go of the delusion of the self, not the experience of a god.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought of nothing.
So you were conscious and yet had no specific object of consciousness other than your existence in that time and place? No ruminations, no distractions. It sounds like a natural restful process.

• Agree
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you were conscious and yet had no specific object of consciousness other than your existence in that time and place? No ruminations, no distractions. It sounds like a natural restful process.

What's funny about the mind, is that it hardly ever really turns off. Even during sleep, your mind is dreaming and making up scenarios... But turning the mind off completely, on purpose, is something unusual - a much needed break sometimes.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But turning the mind off completely
Sounds like dreamless sleep. But of course, body functions and processes still regulated b the brain. At least the lower or deeper brain.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Emptying one's mind, so to speak, makes it sometimes if not always a welcome place for the enemy to come play.
I don't think so. Then we all do it every night. Besides, how else can we listen, give the presence of the Lord our full attention., undistracted by our thoughts. I am reminded of

"After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper." 1 Kings 19:12

How can we hear the whisper of we are preoccupied with our own thinking?

"I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content." Psalm 131:1-2

The enemy plays with our thoughts, not our attentiveness.

I am thankful the the orthodox here who told me about "Nepsis". I have been aware of scriptural "sobriety", vigilance", "keeping watch" but I didn't know it was also called Nepsis.

Upvote 0

ChurchBuilder

One Love. One World Family.
Oct 7, 2023
Central FL
✟10,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Absolutely yes, Christians can benefit from their own form of mindful meditation during prayer.
"Mindful" in this case would mean having your "mind full of the joy" in being in communication with God.
It has been said that prayer is when we talks to God, and meditation is when God talks to us.
I often like to sit in quiet contemplation in Nature as I pray and meditate with the Lord.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely yes, Christians can benefit from their own form of mindful meditation during prayer.
"Mindful" in this case would mean having your "mind full of the joy" in being in communication with God.
It has been said that prayer is when we talks to God, and meditation is when God talks to us.
I often like to sit in quiet contemplation in Nature as I pray and meditate with the Lord.
It is strange that some people equate "mindful" with "emptying the mind".

I can sit in nature and watch the sunset without thinking a single thought. And yet being aware that I am full of joy and peace.

Reactions: ChurchBuilder
Upvote 0