✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Genesis 1 to Genesis 2:4...

Day 1 and 2- The creation of the universe, formation of stars/planets, solar systems, etc, the initial formation of the earth as a planet, creation and separating of "dimensions" like the separating of the Heavenly realm or dimension, from the earthly physical one or ones, etc...

Day 3- Dry land appears and is made apart from the sea or the seas, etc, earth is very "volcanic" and the sky is still dark and covered with lots of clouds of dust and ash, some light shining through but not much yet, formation of the atmosphere, and the very beginnings of very simple, extremely primitive plant life, in the form of algae, proteins and primitive bacteria, etc, primordial ooze, etc, that is going to become more complex in Day 4...

Day 4- Sky begins to clear up, and the volcanic activity on the earth begins to settle down a bit, plant life, now having more light, begins to become more complex forms of plant life, the "revealing" of the sun and moon and stars, etc, on the earth due to the skies clearing up, etc...

Day 5- The age or era of sea life, sea creatures and sea animals begin to come about and become more complex by the beginning of day 6, plant life continuing to evolve and become more complex in or on both the land and in the sea, etc, no land animals yet, etc...

Day 6- The age of land animals and man, land animals come about for the first time (from the sea creatures), and become more complex, till they eventually lead to man coming about, and the fall of man happens, etc, we are still in day 6 now till the results of the fall are fixed or restored, then will begin day 7...

Day 7- The age or era of the rule and reign of Christ on earth from Heaven, or Heaven and earth being one (again) results of the fall or consequences of the fall are restored or fixed or whatever, (we go back to being vegetarians, etc), and this age will last until the end of the earth and the universe as we know it, etc...

Adam and Eve could have been a special creation, in a selected by God specific region or specific area in the earth on or in or during day 6, the Garden of Eden, etc, then were cast out to be among the rest of the "evolved species", etc, two races or species possibly, etc, Cain could have been the first one to interbreed or intermix with these maybe, possibly, or the whole story could just be an allegory, revealing many, many truths to us about our species and the "spirits", and the spiritual, and mankind, and mankind's relationship with God, etc...

The way to resolve the issue of plants sating to come about on day 3 in Genesis 1, and there have not been any kind of vegetation sprouting up from the ground yet in the Garden of Eden on day 6 when Adam was made, is that, if the Garden of Eden was a literal Garden and special set apart from the rest of the world special creation, is that plants may have not been made to grow or come about yet "in that specific region" yet, during the time it was made and/or set apart on or during day 6 yet, but then was by God when He made Adam and put him there...

God Bless!
The question came up about the whole "evening and morning" thing, and I forgot to address it, so I said this:

Evening and morning, or morning and evening, could mean the golden years or time of an age, and then the dark times or dark era of an age, or when it was prospering and thriving and when it was falling and failing and was about over or ended or was on it's decline, etc...

"Cycles" IOW's, the turning of a tide or the change of an era, it happens in and with any system of things, or era or age of thing or things...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is funny how we are considered "fundamentalists" as if we are some sort of extreme branch. It is the common opinion of all Christians. I have only experienced some "Christians" who claim different views on this site alone. In all the churches I've attended, of all the Christians I've ever known and met, of all materials I've listened to and read, these views have always been the same. My first encounter with a different view of creationism was when I heard that Tim Keller taught "Theistic Evolution." But I don't really hear much of it in the all circles, even outside of my own denomination, of any other view. It is an opinion I'm still newly hearing after all these years.

Almost every Christian I've ever spoken too, as well as religious leaders at my church, have all been accepting of old earth interpretations of scripture.

It probably depends on the denomination and probably even geographic location or whether located in an urban or rural area.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see primary doctrines connected with creationism. If human evolution correct, then you would have to rewrite the fall and the consequences of it. For an example, what is sin? Is it disobedience to God, stemmed from the corrupt nature we inherited from our first parents, or is it some innate animal behavior that is not necessarily immoral? How about death? Scripture says it is the result of the fall, and that Christ redeems us from both spiritual and physical death, reversing the effects of the fall. Or has death always existed since a day is not literally a day, and Adam wasn't a literal person born on a single day? These are a few examples. It runs against redemption all around.

I really like the honesty in this post. For those who read scripture at face value, I'd tend to agree that scripture doesn't make sense in light of scientific finds of geology and biology.

But I don't think that we, as Christians, have a choice but to accept science, as the logical implications of rejecting something like geology and being a young earther, are a lot more severe than reinterpreting scripture and accepting science as it is.

A common example is with the green River formation in which there are over 5 million varves with trace fossils (such as bird foot tracks between them). If we reject geology and assume a 6000 year old age for the formation, we might guess that either a global flood deposited 5 million repeating layers in a single year, or that 1000 varves were deposited annually for the past 5000 years to the present day. Neither idea makes any sense with respect to physics, and the foot tracks between varves further demonstrate the passage of substantial time between deposition.

This is just one of countless examples, but the point is that Christians either have to reinterpret Genesis, or they have to detach themselves from physical reality. I think the prior is more reasonable than the latter.

And old earth geology was founded back in the 1700s (but more importantly is logically sound), so the whole "science changes all the time" response just won't cut it. Biological evolution has been around since the 1800s as well.

green river formation varves - Google Search

Google Image Result for https://naturalishistoria.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/varvemontana-bensen.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are, but so is being a true professing Christian.
The age of creation has no bearing on Christianity. We only know in part. This is the part we do not know for sure. I am a true professing Christian who enjoys the unfolding of Gods creation through science.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Updated, slightly edited/modified version from my original post on this...

Genesis 1 to Genesis 2:4:

Day 1 and 2- The creation of the universe, formation of stars/planets, solar systems, etc, the initial formation of the earth as a planet, creation and separating of "dimensions" like the separating of the Heavenly realms and/or dimensions, from the physical ones, etc, and/or beginnings of the atmosphere and beginnings of the seas on day 2, etc... Whatever or however you interpret the "separating and dividing of waters from waters" to mean, etc, with the one above being called "heaven", etc...

Day 3- Dry land appears and is made apart from the sea or the seas, etc, earth is very "volcanic" and the sky is still dark and covered with lots of clouds of dust and ash, some light shining through but not much yet, further formation of the atmosphere, and the very beginnings of very simple, extremely primitive plant life, in the form of algae, proteins and primitive bacteria, etc, primordial ooze, etc, by the ends of day 3 that is going to become more complex in Day 4...

Day 4- Sky begins to clear up, and the volcanic activity on the earth begins to settle down a bit, plant life, now having more light, begins to become more complex forms of plant life, the "revealing" of the sun and moon and stars, etc, on the earth due to the skies clearing up, etc...

Day 5- The age or era of sea life, sea creatures and sea animals begin to come about and become more complex by the beginning of day 6, plant life continuing to evolve and become more complex in or on both the land and in the sea, etc, no land animals yet, etc...

Day 6- The age of land animals and man, land animals come about for the first time (from the sea creatures), and become more complex, till they eventually lead to man coming about, and the fall of man happens, etc, we are still in day 6 now till the results of the fall are fixed or restored, then will begin day 7...

Day 7- The age or era of the rule and reign of Christ on earth from Heaven, or Heaven and earth being one (again) results of the fall or consequences of the fall are restored or fixed or whatever, (we go back to being vegetarians, etc), and this age will last until the end of the earth and the universe as we know it, etc...

Adam and Eve could have been a special creation, in a selected by God specific region or specific area in the earth on or in or during day 6, the Garden of Eden, etc, then were cast out to be among the rest of the "evolved species", etc, two races or species possibly, etc, Cain could have been the first one to interbreed or intermix with these maybe, possibly, or the whole story could just be an allegory, revealing many, many truths to us about our species and the "spirits", and the spiritual, and mankind, and mankind's relationship with God, etc...

The way to resolve the issue of plants sating to come about on day 3 in Genesis 1, and there have not been any kind of vegetation sprouting up from the ground yet in the Garden of Eden on day 6 when Adam was made, is that, if the Garden of Eden was a literal Garden and special set apart from the rest of the world special creation, is that plants may have not been made to grow or come about yet "in that specific region" yet, during the time it was made and/or set apart on or during day 6 yet, but then was by God when He made Adam and put him there...

The question came up about the whole "evening and morning" thing, and I forgot to address it, so I said this:

Evening and morning, or morning and evening, could mean the golden years or time of an age, and then the dark times or dark era of an age, or when it was prospering and thriving and when it was falling and failing and was about over or ended or was on it's decline, etc...

"Cycles" IOW's, the turning of a tide or the change of an era, it happens in and with any system of things, or era or age of thing or things...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is a "special" view, but rather the default and only consistent view.

It's hard to make an argument that Biblical literalism is the "default" view. After all, such views in modern times are largely the purview of protestant Americans and seems very much a late 19th century / 20th century phenomenon. It's also on the decline, as per the OP.

Conversely non-literal interpretations have been around about as long as the Bible itself. The fact that ancient Christian scholars were questioning the literal interpretations of the Bible thousands of years ago, it really perplexes me that people today seem to think it needs to be treated as a literal text.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Updated, slightly edited/modified version from my original post on this...

Genesis 1 to Genesis 2:4:

Day 1 and 2- The creation of the universe, formation of stars/planets, solar systems, etc, the initial formation of the earth as a planet, creation and separating of "dimensions" like the separating of the Heavenly realms and/or dimensions, from the physical ones, etc, and/or beginnings of the atmosphere and beginnings of the seas on day 2, etc... Whatever or however you interpret the "separating and dividing of waters from waters" to mean, etc, with the one above being called "heaven", etc...

Day 3- Dry land appears and is made apart from the sea or the seas, etc, earth is very "volcanic" and the sky is still dark and covered with lots of clouds of dust and ash, some light shining through but not much yet, further formation of the atmosphere, and the very beginnings of very simple, extremely primitive plant life, in the form of algae, proteins and primitive bacteria, etc, primordial ooze, etc, by the ends of day 3 that is going to become more complex in Day 4...

God Bless!
That would be awesome if only it was in line with what Genesis actually says. For example, Genesis day 3 has grass and trees on land. Your version doesn't have plants on land until day 4.

Feel free to lie to yourself, but please don't inflict those lies on others.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That would be awesome if only it was in line with what Genesis actually says. For example, Genesis day 3 has grass and trees on land. Your version doesn't have plants on land until day 4.

You do have to account for the fact (in all of it) that God had to use vocabulary that was relative to His audience of that day and time you know...?

Like the "waters" being separated from the "waters", for example, or as just one example, etc, etc, etc...?

All the "vocabulary" has to be interpreted that way...

For example, there were never any "very primitive plants", or very primitive living organisms (algae, amoeba, bacteria, proteins, etc) that reproduced, grew, spread, developed, etc, let alone grew and evolved, etc, anyway, "known to them in that day and time", etc...

They had absolutely no way, or no point of, or no common frame of reference for even conceiving of, or of developing or formulating, especially a very accurate or highly accurate concept of, etc, anyway, even the most remotest idea or concept of such things, etc, other than the things God used to describe it/them, etc... God had to use what they knew, or what they did have concepts of, or could conceive of, etc...

Cause how else was He to explain "it" or "that" to them back then, or some of the "things" as we now know of them now today, etc...? And they more than likely did start out in pools and/or pockets on land, etc...

And the "order" (for or as another example) is still very correct and very accurate, etc...

And/or but/because if you consider the "audience and vocabulary", I think nearly all else of it is (very accurate) as well...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You do have to account for the fact (in all of it) that God had to use vocabulary that was relative to His audience of that day and time you know...?

Like the "waters" being separated from the "waters", for example, or as just one example, etc, etc, etc...?

All the "vocabulary" has to be interpreted that way...

For example, there were never any "very primitive plants", or very primitive living organisms (algae, amoeba, bacteria, proteins, etc) that reproduced, grew, spread, developed, etc, let alone grew and evolved, etc, anyway, "known to them in that day and time", etc...

They had absolutely no way, or no point of, or no common frame of reference for even conceiving of, or of developing or formulating, especially a very accurate or highly accurate concept of, etc, anyway, even the most remotest idea or concept of such things, etc, other than the things God used to describe it/them, etc... God had to use what they knew, or what they did have concepts of, or could conceive of, etc...

Cause how else was He to explain "it" or "that" to them back then, or some of the "things" as we now know of them now today, etc...? And they more than likely did start out in pools and/or pockets on land, etc...

And the "order" (for or as another example) is still very correct and very accurate, etc...

And/or but/because if you consider the "audience and vocabulary", I think nearly all else of it is (very accurate) as well...

God Bless!
Still not buying it. You're pretending that there was no word for seaweed or algae and that the earth bringing forth grass and trees on day 3 was a linguistic problem?

As to the order being correct, you conveniently ignore birds appearing at the same time as fish.

Your story does not align with Genesis and only tenuously aligns with what the evidence says happened. That's really the worst of both sides.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

It wasn't meant to be a "scientific dissertation" but I believe it does fully line up with science, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Still not buying it. You're pretending that there was no word for seaweed or algae and that the earth bringing forth grass and trees on day 3 was a linguistic problem?

As to the order being correct, you conveniently ignore birds appearing at the same time as fish.

Your story does not align with Genesis and only tenuously aligns with what the evidence says happened. That's really the worst of both sides.
Seaweed still might have been to advanced for day 3 maybe, and the algae might have been more like primordial ooze or slime maybe...

And I believe the fossil record shows some kind of fish or sea creatures that could kind of fly over the sea for very short distances, etc, it does not say that those "birds" were "mammals" and/or had feathers either, etc...

And yes, I do believe a lot of it was due to not having the language or vocabulary to describe it to them in a way He (God) might be able to describe it to us today, etc...

They had very limited concepts and/or ideas of things, even the language used was probably a "stretch" for them back then...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As I said, feel free to lie to yourself but please do not inflict those lies on others.
What if what you call lies, I call truth, or getting very, very much closer to the truth anyway, etc...?

Why, or what does it concern you anyway...?

I'm quite sure you have your own particular brand of "dogma" that you spread on here, so just "who are you" to tell me what to do, or not do, or to try and be the judge of me...?

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Seaweed still might have been to advanced for day 3 maybe, and the algae might have been more like primordial ooze or slime maybe...
Genesis says trees with fruit appeared on land on day 3. Why not say plants appeared in water on day 3, and then on land on day 4 if that's what actually happened? Just how simple do you think people were 3000 years ago? They could read and write, but had no idea about seaweed or different events happening on different days?

Last edited:
Upvote 0