Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
SODA BAN IS COMING: Mike Bloomberg Is Going To Take Away Your Big Gulp - Business Insider

"We've got to do something. Everybody is wringing their hands saying we've got to do something. Well, here is a concrete thing. You can still buy large bottles in stores. But in a restaurant, 16 ounces is the maximum that they would be able to serve in one cup. If you want to order two cups of the same time, that's fine. It's your choice. We're not taking away anybody's right to do things. We're simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup," NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg said about his proposal to ban sugary drinks 16oz or larger.

Video: Bloomberg On Soda Ban: "We're Simply Forcing You To Understand" | RealClearPolitics

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
silly proposal and it may actually create more paper and plastic waste.

I don't think "may" even cuts it, but I guess a study would have to be conducted to prove that reality/likely probability.

Upvote 0

Leere

Mar 22, 2011
✟8,488.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
My body, my choice?

I hope you're not saying this and consider yourself pro-life.

Anyway, I think this is kind of a waste of time. If you want people to drink less soda because of the sugar, start by getting it out of the public schools. I fail to see how only letting restaurants only serve up to 16oz at a time will stop people from getting refills, especially if they're free refills. Waste of time, they should be going after bigger things than this.

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hope you're not saying this and consider yourself pro-life.

Anyway, I think this is kind of a waste of time. If you want people to drink less soda because of the sugar, start by getting it out of the public schools. I fail to see how only letting restaurants only serve up to 16oz at a time will stop people from getting refills, especially if they're free refills. Waste of time, they should be going after bigger things than this.

The irony here is that Bloomberg is "pro-choice."

I guess that doesn't include how much soda pop I want to put into my body.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The irony here is that Bloomberg is "pro-choice."

I guess that doesn't include how much soda pop I want to put into my body.

The issue is how many cups you need to drink to have >16oz of soda.

A grave imposition. That psycological barrier of ordering a second 16oz soda.

The "practicality" of the 32 oz big gulp with it's 90 to 130 grams of sugar just can't be beat though.

big_gulp.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoink

:-)
Apr 13, 2004
West of the rockies
✟1,969.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
My body, my choice?

People should be on strict diets overseen by government certified health technicians. Also why were at it I think everyone should have to live on a government created budget so they don't become a burden on society. They assented to the social contract by not leaving the country and benefiting from public goods like roads, welfare, healthcare, and the general benefits provided to them by society. Their poor choices are a cost to society, so why doesn't society get to dictate their diet and expenditures?

It's the same logic behind seat belt laws, alcohol controls, and drug prohibition except diet and bad money management may just eclipse all those in net cost to society.

Upvote 0

David Jerome

Feb 29, 2012
New York
✟993.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I applaud this. When foolish people let themselves gain diabetes, heart problems or other obesity/diet related illnesses, who has to pay for it? Usually tax-payer funded programs like medicaid. If the govt. has to flip the bill health problems caused by gluttony and blatant disregard for health, then the govt. should have the right to step in and enforce some regulations. Remember the U.S. is the most obese nation in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I applaud this. When foolish people let themselves gain diabetes, heart problems or other obesity/diet related illnesses, who has to pay for it? Usually tax-payer funded programs like medicaid. If the govt. has to flip the bill health problems caused by gluttony and blatant disregard for health, then the govt. should have the right to step in and enforce some regulations. Remember the U.S. is the most obese nation in the world.
So when all americans are forced to purchase health insurance you will drop your support for this limitation on personal freedom?

Upvote 0

David Jerome

Feb 29, 2012
New York
✟993.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
So when all americans are forced to purchase health insurance you will drop your support for this limitation on personal freedom?
Nope. You don't deserve "freedom" when you expect the govt. to clean up the messes you make with the body.

Upvote 0

RedPaddy

Jun 1, 2012
✟3,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nope. You don't deserve "freedom" when you expect the govt. to clean up the messes you make with the body.
What if the govt stopped cleaning up these messes, did away with the entitelments, and went back to personal accountability?

Upvote 0

David Jerome

Feb 29, 2012
New York
✟993.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
What if the govt stopped cleaning up these messes, did away with the entitelments, and went back to personal accountability?
Then people would be sickly, poor and dying left and right. This is why we need govt.: because humans are stupid.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then people would be sickly, poor and dying left and right. This is why we need govt.: because humans are stupid.
Uh, just an FYI - "government" IS humans.

And just an fyi on that - stupid humans taking care of stupid humans is well... stupid.

That's why the purpose of government isn't to take care of people. Never was. The purpose of government is basically the purpose of law - to prevent harm. Period.

Upvote 0