Michigan School Shooter, 15, charged as adult on murder, terrorism - parents may also be charged

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watched some of the trial testimony of Jennifer Crumbley's trial. What stands out to me is how neglected Ethan was. He wrote in his journal that he told his parents he was hearing voices but they wouldn't get him help. I really hope he gets the help he needs now.

I think Ethan's mother is guilty of gross child neglect, but I'm not convinced that involuntary manslaughter is justified. She knew her son was deeply troubled but did nothing to help him. She and her husband not only bought him the gun and ammo, they did NOT tell the school that he owned a gun. She refused his direct and indirect cries for help. What she failed to do has had horrific consequences, but .... I don't know.

I feel much like you do. Those parents do seem guilty of neglect. Yet I think that school shares some accountability for the shooting. Like social media, accountability is being neglected for many purveyors of harm. At least this verdict should be a warning to other lackadaisical parents and perhaps decrease the number of school shootings.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

James Crumbley: Father of Michigan school gunman convicted of manslaughter

The trial heard that James Crumbley, 47, had ignored his son Ethan's mental health needs, buying him the handgun he used in the November 2021 attack.

He and his wife - who was convicted on the same charges - now both face a maximum of 15 years in prison.

Crumbley did not testify, unlike his wife, who took the stand during her trial and tried to blame her husband.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0