Michigan School Shooter, 15, charged as adult on murder, terrorism - parents may also be charged

Innsmuthbride

Ia Ia Cthulhu F'tagan
Apr 30, 2013
Reno, NV
✟312,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's all on the school. No one else is at fault here. well and the left wing media it's there fault too.
If the school had done their duty this would not have happened. And if the media did not report on school shootings there would not be any.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe. As I said earlier, I'm not giving them a pass, but I have been irritated by the interviews (or clips thereof) where officials try to make it seem like it was all the parents fault.

The officials could have had the kid removed regardless of the parents' wishes. In hindsight, it sure looks like they should have. But, they didn't. They failed to act responsibly and people died. Meanwhile, everyone is focused on the parents.

Too, I ran across someone saying that the parents should have checked the kid's backpack. And when would they have done that? And why wasn't the follow up question "WHY DIDN'T THE SCHOOL DO THAT?"
As to the role of the parents this might be like the Rittenhouse case. I was not willing to give Rittenhouse a pass either, but I could see how he was grossly overcharged by the DA. What was the result? He walked without any punishment. I put a fair amount of blame on the parents too, but right now it looks as if they may reacting emotionally and trying to charge them with whatever they can.

Charge them with gross negligence or some other sort of crime, they did apparently buy the gun as a Christmas present for their son. But trying to charge them on the accomplice level will simply result in a not guilty verdict again.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's all on the school. No one else is at fault here. well and the left wing media it's there fault too.
If the school had done their duty this would not have happened. And if the media did not report on school shootings there would not be any.
Congratulations! You found a solution to the mass shooting problems that the gun lobby can fully support. Merely make reporting such crimes a felony.

Hmm, I wonder how those on the right will respond when they make it illegal to report staged mass robberies?

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,874.00
Faith
Christian
Don't worry the school will soon come under the spotlight, as I suspect if they don't face criminal charges, there almost certainly will be civil litigation from the victims families.

And then people will complain when their kid gets sent home for merely drawing a gun, or making finger guns or some other silly thing.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,874.00
Faith
Christian
Lots of people want these parents to be guilty. So do I. Thats because in the USA there is insanely little focus on the gun responsibility that should accompany our gun rights. Parents are responsible for the mix of the guns and minors who are both in their care.

NRA should be cheering this on too. Since they're all about "responsible gun ownership"

But I bet they won't be....

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
NRA should be cheering this on too. Since they're all about "responsible gun ownership"

But I bet they won't be....
When I learned to shoot, and that was a long long time ago, the NRA was a safety organization. But sadly not long after that they began to go off the rails and never managed to get back on track. At one time in their history they even supported gun control laws.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Someone let them into the building in which they were hiding. Let's keep this chain of charges going...

LINK

Authorities executed a search warrant Monday at the home of the man who helped Ethan Crumbley's parents before they were arrested, Oakland County Undersheriff Michael G. McCabe told CNN.

Andrzej Sikora, 65, and his attorney, Clarence Dass, voluntarily went into the Oakland County Sheriff's Office where Sikora was interviewed for 90 minutes Monday, McCabe said.

Dass told CNN on Sunday his client knew the Crumbleys were using his workspace, but he "did not really know what was going on" and didn't know the couple "had active warrants" when they were discovered and subsequently arrested.

Sikora "got roped into it," Dass said, but he declined to say why he allowed the couple to stay in the workspace or provide additional details on their relationship other than to say "he knew them, but not well."

Parents, son being held in same jail
James and Jennifer Crumbley and their son were being housed at the same facility and monitored under suicide watch, authorities said. [They are not in communication with each other.]

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Parents, son being held in same jail
James and Jennifer Crumbley and their son were being housed at the same facility and monitored under suicide watch, authorities said. [They are not in communication with each other.]
The family that posts bail together stays together.

Family bonding…

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It can't be substantiated since it would be confidential, but...

Neighbor says she called CPS on the family years ago, and no notable improvement occurred.

A former neighbor told the Free Press she had concerns about their parenting long before Tuesday's tragedy.

Jennifer and James Crumbley often left their young son home alone while drinking at bars in downtown Lake Orion in 2014 and 2015, former neighbor Kayla LeMieux said. The boy would have been between 8 and 9 years old at that time.

“When they were gone, he would come knock on our door,” LeMieux said of the boy. “They didn’t leave him with a phone.”

The boy would ask LeMieux to call his parents, she said.

LeMieux, who also worked as a restaurant server with Jennifer in 2012, considered her a friend and said they would often hang out at downtown spots together. But the relationship soured partly because she was concerned the boy was left home alone, she said.

“It was really when I finally started to say more, because I was just like, even after calling CPS, they were still doing it and even me saying something to them, they were still like ‘Oh he is fine,’ ” LeMieux said.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Some parents are suing the school and school authorities.

On November 16 -- two weeks before the school shooting -- "multiple concerned parents provided communications" to Wolf "with concerns about threats to students made on social media," the lawsuit alleges, without specifying the source of the alleged threats.

The Franzes allege Throne and Wolf assured parents and students that the children were safe at the high school, and discouraged them from discussing or sharing the posts.

"That same day, November 16, 2021, Wolf emailed parents indicating, 'I know I'm being redundant here, but there is absolutely no threat at the HS ... large assumptions were made from a few social media posts, then the assumptions evolved into exaggerated rumors,'" court documents say.

"Previous to the November 30, 2021 incident, Ethan Crumbley posted threats of bodily harm, including death, on his social media accounts, warning of violent tendencies and murderous ideology," the suit states.

Also, as previously mentioned, some number of students apparently stayed home from school that day, precisely because they were worried something might happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Meanwhile, something that made the news, but probably won't really make national news...

Students who reported troubling Snapchat messages thwarted a potential mass shooting at a Florida campus, officials say

Police in Florida arrested a student attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for allegedly "plotting to shoot up the campus" on Thursday, which was the final day before winter break, officials said.

John Hagins, 19, threatened an attack similar to the 1999 mass shooting at the Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, that left 13 dead, according to Chief Jakari Young of the Daytona Beach Police Department. Hagins had a backpack that contained a collapsible rifle, a magazine and several boxes of ammunition when he was taken into custody, he said.

Police said they got involved after two students reported worrying messages they saw on a group chat to the university's campus security team.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In court documents filed Thursday, prosecutors alleged the Crumbleys ignored “troubling” red flags from their son, including instances of animal torture and disturbing, bloody sketches. Instead, they spent hours with their cherished horses and—in Jennifer’s case—doggedly pursued an extramarital affair.

In her Thursday filing, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald outlined how Ethan Crumbley “was torturing animals (and) even kept a baby bird's head in a jar on his bedroom floor, which he later took and placed in a school bathroom.”

“When Mrs. Crumbley texted Ethan, ‘Don’t do it,’… the shootings had already happened, Mr. Crumbley had determined the gun was missing and had notified authorities, and Mrs. Crumbley was texting her son to tell him not to kill himself,” the defense wrote

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,027.00
Faith
Atheist
It now appears that the parents did have information that their kid was disturbed before the killings. We'll see if the assertions hold up: Parents of Michigan school shooting suspect bought him a gun despite animal abuse, 'disturbing texts' and other red flags, prosecutor says

"The defendants had information long before Nov. 30 (six months prior to the shooting) that their son's only friend moved at the end of October, that the family dog died, that their son was sadder than usual, and that he was sending his mother disturbing texts about his state of mind," the prosecution wrote in a Thursday court filing. "Instead of paying attention to their son and getting him help, they bought him a gun."​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LINK

The parents of Michigan school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley have been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the aftermath of the horrific Nov. 30 attack that left four teens dead and seven people injured, including a teacher.

James Crumbley purchased the 9mm Sig Sauer handgun on Black Friday, four days before the shooting, and Ethan had flaunted it on his social media profiles, authorities said

In TV interviews before the charges against the parents were announced, McDonald said the gun used in the shocking rampage had not been locked or secured, and investigators had evidence to suggest “gross negligence” on the parents’ part.

(The image below would appear to be from the mom?)

Screen_Shot_2021-12-02_at_2.52.59_PM_spmhrl

I don't get it. I just don't get it What is this infatuation with guns? They're instruments of death. It's utterly beyond comprehension for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't get it. I just don't get it What is this infatuation with guns? They're instruments of death. It's utterly beyond comprehension for me.
Partisanship has stoked citizens' fears for decades. They use the fear to exploit voters without considering the societal repercussions. This only serves to exacerbate the anger, fears and infatuation with weapons. I'm an American and I cannot justify the infatuation myself. It seems many Americans are willing to sacrifice hundreds of fellow citizens, some children, as an unpleasant side effect of their infatuation.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,959.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Partisanship has stoked citizens' fears for decades. They use the fear to exploit voters without considering the societal repercussions. This only serves to exacerbate the anger, fears and infatuation with weapons. I'm an American and I cannot justify the infatuation myself. It seems many Americans are willing to sacrifice hundreds of fellow citizens, some children, as an unpleasant side effect of their infatuation.

Gun ownership is about fear, anger, and infatuation?

Upvote 0