Michigan School Shooter, 15, charged as adult on murder, terrorism - parents may also be charged

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The suspect in a Michigan school shooting will face charges of terrorism and first-degree murder following a rampage that left four students dead and seven injured.

Prosecutors on Wednesday charged Oxford High School student Ethan Crumbley, 15, as an adult.

Announcing the charges on Wednesday, Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said her office had "a mountain of digital evidence" to show the suspect had planned the attack "well before the incident".

One such instance is a video of the suspect the night before the shooting, in which he discusses killing students.

He noted that the suspect's parents had been called to the school hours before the shooting "for behaviour in the classroom that was concerning".

Investigators have found the suspect loaded his firearm - purchased by his father on Friday - in the bathroom and then walked through the hallway firing more than 30 shots from the weapon.

-

Other reporting of the story mentioned that some students stayed home from school because they had a sense something was going to happen. Did no one 'say something'? Possibly that's what instigated the school meeting with parents.

Unless something about the motivation clears things up, the terrorism charge seems odd to me. The DA has talked about the act 'terrorizing' the other students. I'm sure it did, but the terrorism charge requires that it be "An act that is intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population or influence or affect the conduct of government or a unit of government through intimidation or coercion."

I've also heard that it's possible the parents will be charged. I don't know if it's related to the purchase of the weapon or something else. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of that aspect.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Other reporting of the story mentioned that some students stayed home from school because they had a sense something was going to happen. Did no one 'say something'? Possibly that's what instigated the school meeting with parents.

Evidently it was two teachers who spoke up in separate incidents.

The first behavioral report came Monday, when "a teacher in the classroom where he was a student saw and heard something that she felt was disturbing," Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told Brianna Keilar on CNN's "New Day."

"And they had a counseling session about it with school officials, and a phone call was left with the parents," he said.

Then on Tuesday -- hours before the shooting -- "a different teacher in a different classroom saw some behavior that they felt was concerning, and they brought the child down to an office, had a meeting with school officials, called in the parents, and ultimately it was determined that he could go back into class."

-

Additionally, McDonald has indicated her office is considering charges against Crumbley's parents, with the potential charges stemming from the parents owning a firearm, which McDonald said comes with legal responsibilities like securing the gun properly and ensuring ammunition is kept separate.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Evidently it was two teachers who spoke up in separate incidents.

The first behavioral report came Monday, when "a teacher in the classroom where he was a student saw and heard something that she felt was disturbing," Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told Brianna Keilar on CNN's "New Day."

"And they had a counseling session about it with school officials, and a phone call was left with the parents," he said.

Then on Tuesday -- hours before the shooting -- "a different teacher in a different classroom saw some behavior that they felt was concerning, and they brought the child down to an office, had a meeting with school officials, called in the parents, and ultimately it was determined that he could go back into class."

-

Additionally, McDonald has indicated her office is considering charges against Crumbley's parents, with the potential charges stemming from the parents owning a firearm, which McDonald said comes with legal responsibilities like securing the gun properly and ensuring ammunition is kept separate.
Dad bought the firearm and apparently made little effort to secure it properly.... he should be culpable for that negligence.

Upvote 0

VladTheEmailer

Jan 28, 2021
WI
✟36,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Dad bought the firearm and apparently made little effort to secure it properly.... he should be culpable for that negligence.

Couldn't we also come to the conclusion that, the Wright brothers are responsible for 9/11?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
LINK

The parents of Michigan school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley have been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the aftermath of the horrific Nov. 30 attack that left four teens dead and seven people injured, including a teacher.

James Crumbley purchased the 9mm Sig Sauer handgun on Black Friday, four days before the shooting, and Ethan had flaunted it on his social media profiles, authorities said

In TV interviews before the charges against the parents were announced, McDonald said the gun used in the shocking rampage had not been locked or secured, and investigators had evidence to suggest “gross negligence” on the parents’ part.

(The image below would appear to be from the mom?)

Screen_Shot_2021-12-02_at_2.52.59_PM_spmhrl

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
LINK

The parents of Michigan school shooting suspect Ethan Crumbley have been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the aftermath of the horrific Nov. 30 attack that left four teens dead and seven people injured, including a teacher.

James Crumbley purchased the 9mm Sig Sauer handgun on Black Friday, four days before the shooting, and Ethan had flaunted it on his social media profiles, authorities said

In TV interviews before the charges against the parents were announced, McDonald said the gun used in the shocking rampage had not been locked or secured, and investigators had evidence to suggest “gross negligence” on the parents’ part.

(The image below would appear to be from the mom?)

Screen_Shot_2021-12-02_at_2.52.59_PM_spmhrl
Good.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The suspect in a Michigan school shooting will face charges of terrorism and first-degree murder following a rampage that left four students dead and seven injured.

Prosecutors on Wednesday charged Oxford High School student Ethan Crumbley, 15, as an adult.

Announcing the charges on Wednesday, Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said her office had "a mountain of digital evidence" to show the suspect had planned the attack "well before the incident".

One such instance is a video of the suspect the night before the shooting, in which he discusses killing students.

He noted that the suspect's parents had been called to the school hours before the shooting "for behaviour in the classroom that was concerning".

Investigators have found the suspect loaded his firearm - purchased by his father on Friday - in the bathroom and then walked through the hallway firing more than 30 shots from the weapon.

-

Unless something about the motivation clears things up, the terrorism charge seems odd to me. The DA has talked about the act 'terrorizing' the other students. I'm sure it did, but the terrorism charge requires that it be "An act that is intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population or influence or affect the conduct of government or a unit of government through intimidation or coercion."

I've also heard that it's possible the parents will be charged. I don't know if it's related to the purchase of the weapon or something else. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of that aspect.
Right wing incel is my guess.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WaPo makes clearer that image above is indeed from the mom's social media account.

Also...

On Nov. 21, days before the shooting, a teacher Oxford High School noticed Ethan using his cell phone to search for information on firearm ammunition. When Jennifer Crumbley was contacted by the school via voicemail about her son’s troubling internet search, she never responded, McDonald said. Instead, she exchanged a text messages with her son that read, “LOL I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught.”

On the day of the shooting, the Crumbleys had been summoned to the school by administrators concerned about their son after a teacher found a note at Ethan’s desk that was so troubling she took a photo of it, McDonald said. In it was a drawing of a semi-automatic handgun pointing at the words “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me.”

There was also a drawing of a bloody figure with two gunshot wounds, and another drawing of a laughing emoji, McDonald said.

By the time the meeting began after 10 a.m. Ethan had already altered the note, scratching out several parts of it

The parents “resisted the idea of their son leaving the school at that time,” McDonald said.

When the news of the active shooting became public, McDonald said Jennifer Crumbley texted her son, writing: “Ethan, don’t do it.”

Moments later, James Crumbley drove to the family home to check the location of the gun — which McDonald said had been stored “unlocked in a drawer" in the couple’s bedroom. The elder Crumbley called 911 to report the gun missing and that his son might be the shooter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the school also deserves some blame here. I don’t understand how they didn’t get the police involved immediately at the first signs that something might be wrong with the kid.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I think the school also deserves some blame here. I don’t understand how they didn’t get the police involved immediately at the first signs that something might be wrong with the kid.

Having been a teacher, I put myself in the shoes of the two teachers who saw something and said something, only for this to be the final outcome.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the terrorism charge is inappropriate in this case. It's just premeditated murder, which should put the kid away for life.

But the kid is white, so wouldn't terrorism charges be appropriate?

• Haha
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

VladTheEmailer

Jan 28, 2021
WI
✟36,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Only if "we" have lost our minds.

We could debate what is "properly secured" but, that point is now moot. It appears as though, this gun was a gift for the boy.

The schools handling of this is what I find most disturbing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We could debate what is "properly secured" but, that point is now moot. It appears as though, this gun was a gift for the boy.

The schools handling of this is what I find most disturbing.
The school didn’t buy this mass murderer a firearm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
1 hour ago: Suspect's parents did not flee and are returning soon, their attorneys say

(Narrator: they did not return in time for their arraignment)

Now: The Crumbleys are not in custody and are considered fugitives, official says

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟932,732.00
Faith
Atheist
Does anyone else think the authorities are scapegoating the parents?

How aware were the parents that their kid was troubled? If not at all, a gun for Christmas might be considered normal. If you got a gun you picked out with your parents, you might shop for ammo. Why should your parents be concerned?

OTOH, the school officials found the note with "blood everywhere" and "the thoughts won't stop. help me" and images of shot people. Yeah they called the parents in, but it seems to me that it was the school who had reasons to worry; it's the school and gov't that should have had policies in place for such red flags.

I'm not letting the parents off the hook (as if I could), but the people making pronouncements from the podium to the press and public are deflecting.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0