Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Lots of people burned books. Modern day Germany has outright banned Mein Kampf.

I think if you're going to consider a book burning, consider what the book is and why it's burning.
If I burn a book it would be because I dont value the quality of the prose, and the skills the author possesses as a writer.

I do not support the destruction or removal of literature based on who the author loves, nor their religion, nor the colour of their skin nor their political review, even if I disagree with that view. Most democracies value freedom of speech and laud quality literature.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
But I don't and nor do others who value art and literature based on the quality of prose and the skills they possess as writers, and NOT who the author chooses to love.

I don't really know who the author loves. I don't really care. The prose and literature of these books is garbage and nothing more than smut. Showing boys in various sex acts with each other and writing pedophilia? Yeah, it has no value.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
do not support the destruction or removal of literature based on who the author loves, nor their religion, nor the colour of their skin nor their political review, even if I disagree with that view. Most democracies value freedom of speech and laud quality literature.

Sounds like we are on the same page. Where we differ is what quality literature looks like. And these books aren't it.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I burn a book it would be because I dont value the quality of the prose, and the skills the author possesses as a writer.

I do not support the destruction or removal of literature based on who the author loves, nor their religion, nor the colour of their skin nor their political review, even if I disagree with that view. Most democracies value freedom of speech and laud quality literature.
I don't care who the author loves, nor their religion, nor the color of their skin nor their political view, even if I disagree with that view. I do care what they write and what kind of drawings or pictures they put in their books.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't really know who the author loves. I don't really care. The prose and literature of these books is garbage and nothing more than smut. Showing boys in various sex acts with each other and writing pedophilia? Yeah, it has no value.
I would ask if you have read any of the protested books....but I already know the answer.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like we are on the same page. Where we differ is what quality literature looks like. And these books aren't it.
Have you read any of them? If not, how do you know what it contains?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Uh huh...

You're saying that if someone wrote "The Pedophiles Guide to Pedophilia...a DIY book for first timers...

You would see no issues with having that in your local library? How about "Homemade Bomb Making for Idiots"? No issues there?

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Uh huh...

You're saying that if someone wrote "The Pedophiles Guide to Pedophilia...a DIY book for first timers...

You would see no issues with having that in your local library? How about "Homemade Bomb Making for Idiots"? No issues there?
how are these comparable to The Great Big Book of Families, one of the objectional books from the OP's library?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
how is Penthouse comparable to The Great Big Book of Families, one of the objectional books from the OP's library?
Review: "As much as I liked this book, it has come to my attention (which I am sad to say, I missed in my first review) that there is a picture of a child dressed in a native american "costume" so I am unable to recommend this book."
Maybe it's not PC

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,051.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No but others that I trust have. I don't need to read penthouse to believe what people tell me whats in it.

I trust my wife over anyone on the planet. But she would be horrified to think that I'd rely on her view of a some piece of writing to determine whether it was acceptable or not to me.

Your mileage appears to vary.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yes and I'd defund the library too. If my kids aren't going there then there is no need for me to find the library.
Would you also like to defund all roads you don't travel on?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,223.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm defunding it because I don't want my tax dollars promoting trash to children that damages them. No apologies for defending kids from smut.
So the road to the local strip joint should be pothole filled?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I'm defunding it because I don't want my tax dollars promoting trash to children that damages them. No apologies for defending kids from smut.
That's not what you said. You said that you don't want to fund a library that you and your children aren't using.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It would be okay to defund that road’s repair needs because you’re never going to go to the strip-joint.

Are kids going there and have access even if it's not mine? Then yes I am going to defund it.

Secondly strip joints are nothing but a degradation of women. Turning women from valuable human beings into nothing but sex objects for men to lust at and been seen as nothing but pieces of sex meat.

How degrading.

Upvote 0