‘Get rid of them trash books,’ - West Michigan library millage fails again over LGBTQ books

Status
Not open for further replies.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
OTTAWA COUNTY, MI – After voters on Tuesday again shot down a millage proposal for the embattled Patmos Library, resident John Mast said he hopes it sends a message.

“We’ll pay for this library completely, but we’re not going to pay for it as long as they got them kind of books in there,” Mast said as he returned books to the library Thursday, Nov. 10.

[In August, a similar millage proposal failed. In the meantime,] a resident-created fundraiser that generated $264,535 [should keep the doors open for a time].

• Informative
Reactions: Paulos23

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well it's really important that in America you have freedom.

The freedom to ban books is foundational to the freedom of freedom.

The freedom to write books with words in them is not freedom of speech. We must not confuse freedom of speech with the freedom to attempt to use public governments and bodies to ban speech.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well it's really important that in America you have freedom.

The freedom to ban books is foundational to the freedom of freedom.

The freedom to write books with words in them is not freedom of speech. We must not confuse freedom of speech with the freedom to attempt to use public governments and bodies to ban speech.

Let's make America great again! Ban everything!

• Friendly
Reactions: WintersDust
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Let's make America great again! Ban everything!
Yes! The only way to make America great for me is to ruin it for other people.

I mean, heaven forbid I just mind my business. I have to actively work to make life harder for others.

This is the way.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those same books the article is addressing - if I were to quote them here, I would be warned, if not banned for obscenity.

Those same books the article is addressing - if I were to go to a public park and read them to children, the very same age group they are available to - I would be arrested for corrupting the moral of a minor.

Those same books the article is addressing - if an on air personality on CBS, NBC or ABC would directly quote from - would get the stationed fined and possibly shut down under the FCC obscenities' policy.

Perhaps we should stop trying to sexualize children.

Children who need permission to receive an aspirin at school are being supported for surgical procedures without their parents permission.

Children who cannot go to the bathroom in school without an adults permission are being advocated for hormone therapy and hormone blockers without parents permission.

oh, and btw -

In the Tuesday, Nov. 8, election, 55.8% of voters rejected a 10-year millage proposal and increase for the library, according to unofficial results provided by the Ottawa County Clerk’s Office.
What happened to democracy - the majority voted against it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Those same books the article is addressing - if I were to quote them here, I would be warned, if not banned for obscenity.

Those same books the article is addressing - if I were to go to a public park and read them to children, the very same age group they are available to - I would be arrested for corrupting the moral of a minor.

Those same books the article is addressing - if an on air personality on CBS, NBC or ABC would directly quote from - would get the stationed fined and possibly shut down under the FCC obscenities' policy.
Would you be in favour of banning all books that include any parts that you couldn't post on CF without getting a warning?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you be in favour of banning all books that include any parts that you couldn't post on CF without getting a warning?

Would you feel proud to read or allow your minor child to read what is regarded as inappropriate contentographic?

Do you think it is acceptable for a 13 year old to read a fully illustrated story of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] between a man an 12 year old boy?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The contents of the library, unlike this website, are protected by the First Amendment.

Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Would you feel proud to read or allow your minor child to read what is regarded as inappropriate contentographic?

Do you think it is acceptable for a 13 year old to read a fully illustrated story of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] between a man an 12 year old boy?
Your questions do not answer my question and will thus be duly ignored.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

From some of the objections to the books:

What, in your opinion, is the theme of the item?
Soccer, friendship, confused sexuality

We're not talking about inappropriate contentography or obscenity. One book was placed 'behind the counter' due to complaints. The librarians are applying reasonable standards.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The contents of the library, unlike this website, are protected by the First Amendment.

That is not true - free speech is not a catch all - as demonstrated in a number of national court cases.

The common line: You don't have the freedom to yell fire in a crowded bar.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From some of the objections to the books:

What, in your opinion, is the theme of the item?
Soccer, friendship, confused sexuality

We're not talking about inappropriate contentography or obscenity. One book was placed 'behind the counter' due to complaints. The librarians are applying reasonable standards.

The majority of voters, using a Democratic process voted it down - should their votes not count?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

I have some distressing news hislegacy.
1. Christian forums is NOT America.
2. You would not get arrested for corrupting the moral of a minor.
3. Do you even know which books are being addressed? Could you name them? I only briefly skimmed the article but I didn't see any names....yet CLEARLY you have read them all and your gentle sensibilities are ruined.

But as I said, go back to making america great by ruining it for other people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Here's the thing hislegacy.
It doesn't matter WHAT I WOULD WANT. If only 1% of the population wants it, then, sadly or not, I have NO RIGHT to stop them.
What I DO have the right to do is:
1) Not read something I consider inappropriate to my child
2) Tell my child to avoid consuming those books and teach them what material I think would be good for them to read.

This seems to be a fundamental flaw with "Free Speech advocates" when the run into something they want banned. They think American revolves around them and their own needs and their own values. If you love American FREEDOM, then you love American FREEDOM for everyone.

Enough with the nonsense "we must protect the children" gobbledeegook. It's utter balderdash. Gay kids have been reading books about heterosexuals through their whole life and yet it didn't turn them straight.
Stop it.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have some distressing news hislegacy.
1. Christian forums is NOT America.
2. You would not get arrested for corrupting the moral of a minor.
3. Do you even know which books are being addressed? Could you name them? I only briefly skimmed the article but I didn't see any names....yet CLEARLY you have read them all and your gentle sensibilities are ruined.

But as I said, go back to making america great by ruining it for other people.

1. I never said CF was America
2. Yes you will get arrested for corrupting the morals of a minor.
3. Yes, I do know the books and types of books being referenced - I do quite a bit of reading on a variety of subjects.

I don't mind ruining anything for people who would prey on children - as the father of a child who was first groomed then molested twice by a person who was trying to convince her she was a lesbian at 12 - I would not mind ruining their entire existence.

So please, keep your 'gentle (gentile) sensibilities to yourself. I lost all mine holding my Child's hair as she vomited after nightmare after nightmare. I lost all my gentile sensibilities as I sat in the courtroom and listened to what this adult did to my child.

The news to me is not distressing, but reaffirming that there are still good people out there protecting children.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't matter WHAT I WOULD WANT. If only 1% of the population wants it, then, sadly or not, I have NO RIGHT to stop them.
What I DO have the right to do is:
1) Not read something I consider inappropriate to my child
2) Tell my child to avoid consuming those books and teach them what material I think would be good for them to read.

This seems to be a fundamental flaw with "Free Speech advocates" when the run into something they want banned. They think American revolves around them and their own needs and their own values. If you love American FREEDOM, then you love American FREEDOM for everyone.

Enough with the nonsense "we must protect the children" gobbledeegook. It's utter balderdash. Gay kids have been reading books about heterosexuals through their whole life and yet it didn't turn them straight.
Stop it.

I hope and pray your child - if you have any - will never experience what my daughter did. She went through the gobbldeegook.

• Prayers
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That is not true - free speech is not a catch all - as demonstrated in a number of national court cases.

It is true. In context, the only thing the library couldn't put on the shelves is obscenity. But this is toothless. Since James Joyce's Ulysses a century ago, nobody's been much able to prove something legally obscene. And if something were legally obscene, it couldn't be published, much less sit on library shelves.

The majority of voters, using a Democratic process voted it down - should their votes not count?

They may certainly vote to not fund the library.
But you can't vote away the First Amendment.

Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If 1% of the population believe that pedophilia is acceptable - you have no right to stop them?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.