American Library Association reports record number of demands to censor library books and materials in 2022 (nearly double 2021's record number)

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ouch. Well thought response though I haven't heard that since about the 90s. Were you going to address bearing false witness or wear the label with pride?
Having trouble keeping Christians in line?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Some of what can be found in the Bible. Wives ravished, recounting of sexual act, etc. I mean I don't describe my joyful description of a woman's breasts to my grandchildren, but the Bible does. Now, if a book about two Mom's used the same kind of Bible breast language, that book would be banned as fast as lightening.
Thank you for your opinion. Now please tell me how it How does it define it?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I retract and use your standard, "remove all sexually explicit material from schools and children's sections in public libraries."
So yes, when do you suggest the good book starts to get removed?
You have evidence it meets the standards? Please provide evidence that it does.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Florida school district orders librarians to purge all books with LGBTQ characters

Librarians in public schools in Charlotte County, Florida, were instructed by the school district superintendent to remove all books with LGBTQ characters or themes from school and classroom libraries.

UPDATE (9/26, 3:29 PM): A spokesperson for the Charlotte County School District sent this additional statement: “Books featuring LGBTQ characters are accessible in the media center for grades 9-12. While they may not be utilized for classroom instruction

View attachment 336906
View attachment 336907

Governor Ron DeSantis (R) has insisted that allegations that his policies, including the "Don't Say Gay" law, are being used to ban a wide range of books is a "hoax." DeSantis claimed that the only books being removed from Florida libraries are "inappropriate contentographic and inappropriate materials that have been snuck into our classrooms and libraries to sexualize our students violate our state education standards." But in Charlotte County, DeSantis' policies are being used to justify purging all books with LGBTQ characters, even if there is no sexual content.

[I am contractually obligated to announce that the formal title of the law being used to remove all books with gay characters from school libraries in this county is the Florida Parental Rights in Education Act.]
Sounds like a school administrator has gone beyond the boundaries of the law. Either because he doesn't understand it or he's trying to make a political statement.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal

75 more books banned from Hanover County [VA] Schools

Some of the books include:
  • Forever by Judy Blume
  • The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • Wicked by Gregory Macguire
  • Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
This latest move comes after the Hanover County School Board voted in June to adopt a new policy allowing residents to file challenges to remove books with sexually explicit material rather than allowing educators to assess the content of the libraries adequately.

“Teachers are really afraid to talk out about it,” Kronenberg said. “They basically can’t speak publicly for fear of reprisals.”
What's their definition of sexually explicit material? And what ages are these books available to?

Upvote 0