Mexico blocks 2,500 migrants from crossing its southern border

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are entitled to your own opinion. I just happen to think that you are wrong.

Just out of curiosity, how many poems have you written that appear on a US National Monument?
If personal achievement is the standard, literary criticism as we know it would cease to exist. And, by your standards, rightly so.

PS- The poem is still trite nonsense.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If personal achievement is the standard, literary criticism as we know it would cease to exist. And, by your standards, rightly so.

In other words, you haven't written anything as signifiicant as this poem. And for the record, I publish two or three book reviews every year. I've also published over 50 articles and written portions of three books.

The poem is still trite nonsense.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In other words, you haven't written anything as signifiicant as this poem. And for the record, I publish two or three book reviews every year. I've also published over 50 articles and written portions of three books.
How many of your works appear on national monuments?

Asking for a friend.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How many of your works appear on national monuments?

Asking for a friend.

None. My writing has never reached the prominence that Emma Lazarus reached when she wrote "The New Colossus." Nor, apparently, has yours.

Of course, I'm not the one who is calling someone else's work "trite nonsense."

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
None. My writing has never reached the prominence that Emma Lazarus reached when she wrote "The New Colossus." Nor, apparently, has yours.

Of course, I'm not the one who is calling someone else's work "trite nonsense."
You're losing me a bit. Is it your suggestion that one must have one's published works engraved on a US monument before one can issue an opinion about other works engraved on other US monuments? I'm not sure what other implications can be drawn from...
Just out of curiosity, how many poems have you written that appear on a US National Monument?
So if neither of our works appear on US monuments, why is your opinion presumably worth more than mine merely because your enjoy the trite nonsense written by Lazarus?

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't recall quoting it "as if it were Scripture." I simply posted the poem.

As if simply posting the poem contributed anything to the conversation - as if it had some kind of authority.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As if simply posting the poem contributed anything to the conversation

But the poem does contribute to the conversation. The US is a nation of immigrants. Unless you are a Native American, you are either an immigrant or you are descended from immigrants. The poem reminds us of that, reminds us of the days when our doors were open to all. It has emotional appeal, and emotions always contribute to a conversation.

as if it had some kind of authority.

Then I’m sure you wouldn’t mind showing me exactly where I claimed that the poem has any authority. I want to see those words.

Now, please show me exactly how I was posting the poem “as if it were Scripture.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're losing me a bit. Is it your suggestion that one must have one's published works engraved on a US monument before one can issue an opinion about other works engraved on other US monuments? I'm not sure what other implications can be drawn from...

No, I never said that.

So if neither of our works appear on US monuments, why is your opinion presumably worth more than mine merely because your enjoy the trite nonsense written by Lazarus?

Unlike you, I remain polite in my conversation. I have published book reviews in academic journals and never used terms such as those you are using. I will point out incorrect statements in books I have reviewed, but I never offer insult. I would never even call what you have written “trite nonsense,” even though I strongly disagree with what you are saying.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, I never said that.
Then why did you ask if any of my works have ever been engraved on US memorials?

Unlike you, I remain polite in my conversation.
Burn?

I would never even call what you have written “trite nonsense,” even though I strongly disagree with what you are saying.
You have never read anything that you would openly refer to as trite nonsense?

I mean, if that's true... golly...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
But the poem does contribute to the conversation. The US is a nation of immigrants.

Actually, the US didn't have any large scale immigration until the 1830s.

Unless you are a Native American, you are either an immigrant or you are descended from immigrants.

Or you're descended from settlers.

The poem reminds us of that, reminds us of the days when our doors were open to all.

What days would those be?

Never mind - this thread isn't about immigration in the past. It's about present immigration policy. It seems that all pro-immigration arguments these day are based on of two things: heavy handed moralizing or airy sentimentality. ArmenianJohn brought the moralizing earlier in this thread; you're providing the sentimentality. Apparently we can't actually discuss national interest when it comes to immigration. When you argue with a supporter of mass immigration, you're not engaging a cerebral cortex, you're engaging a limbic system...

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, the US didn't have any large scale immigration until the 1830s.

That is because transportation--both the ability to cross the ocean and the ability to move about in America--was limited prior to that. Percentages tell a different story. As an example, almost all of the Amish in America trace their ancestry to Amish who arrived in Pennsylvania in the 1740s.

Or you're descended from settlers.

Who were largely immigrants or descended from immigrants.

Never mind - this thread isn't about immigration in the past. It's about present immigration policy. It seems that all pro-immigration arguments these day are based on of two things: heavy handed moralizing or airy sentimentality. ArmenianJohn brought the moralizing earlier in this thread; you're providing the sentimentality. Apparently we can't actually discuss national interest when it comes to immigration. When you argue with a supporter of mass immigration, you're not engaging a cerebral cortex, you're engaging a limbic system...

So lets just abandon our ideals, our past, our history. I guess it just doesn't matter. Apparently in your eyes I'm wasting my time putting flags out on veterans graves every year. They just fought to defend this country from foreign and internal threats, who cares?

No, Abraham Lincoln said "we cannot escape history." Whether you like it or not, what we were is what we are.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then why did you ask if any of my works have ever been engraved on US memorials?

Have you published anything significant? I have certainly not published anything that has been elevated to being posted on a US National Monument. About the closest that I have come to that sort of permanence are a couple entries in the Encyclopedia of the United States Constitution, and articles in various journals, but those don't compare to the permanency that Ms. Lazarus obtained with her poem. One thing I have learned is that, unless they are violating any moral law or secular law that is not unjust, you don't insult your superiors and in terms of writing she qualifies as such. That is what you are doing.

You have never read anything that you would openly refer to as trite nonsense? I mean, if that's true... golly...

I have read things that I would describe as nonsense. But I wouldn't openly refer to it as such unless it was written in violation of moral law or secular law that is not unjust.

Jesus told us that we should do unto others as we would like to have done unto ourselves. Do you like having people describe what you have written as "trite nonsense?" If not, why would you do it to someone else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mexico blocks 2,500 migrants from crossing at Guatemala entry point, authorities say

Mexican officials on Saturday closed a section of their border with Guatemala following a push by thousands of migrants to make their way across a bridge over the Suchiate River between the two countries.

About 2,500 migrants of all ages were held up and prevented from crossing or entering the bridge at Mexico's southern border by Mexican National Guardsmen, Guatemalan authorities estimated, according to The Associated Press.

Mexican authorities reportedly allowed several dozen migrants to enter into Mexico in groups of 20 but warned them against trying to slip away to avoid immigration processing.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Probably be helpful since our US immigration system is on overload?
M-Bob

o·ver·load
verb
  1. load with too great a burden or cargo.
    "both boats were overloaded and low in the water"

President Trump was obviously correct....... what may seem like a tough policy at first........ WORKS over the long term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So lets just abandon our ideals, our past, our history. I guess it just doesn't matter. Apparently in your eyes I'm wasting my time putting flags out on veterans graves every year. They just fought to defend this country from foreign and internal threats, who cares?

No, Abraham Lincoln said "we cannot escape history." Whether you like it or not, what we were is what we are.

They fought to protect America’s interests, which is the proper basis of immigration policy - like any other policy.

Have you published anything significant? I have certainly not published anything that has been elevated to being posted on a US National Monument. About the closest that I have come to that sort of permanence are a couple entries in the Encyclopedia of the United States Constitution, and articles in various journals, but those don't compare to the permanency that Ms. Lazarus obtained with her poem.

Just because something is on a monument, doesn’t mean it belongs there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They fought to protect America’s interests, which is the proper basis of immigration policy - like any other policy.

So USS Constitution should have been scrapped? After all, that ship was saved by a poem.

Just because something is on a monument, doesn’t mean it belongs there.

So because you don’t like something it should be removed?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
President Trump was obviously correct....... what may seem like a tough policy at first........ WORKS over the long term!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump called this one right.
M

• Agree
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So because you don’t like something it should be removed?

Well, that’s what plenty of people are saying about Confederate war memorials. I see no good reason for that poem to be on the Statue of Liberty.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, that’s what plenty of people are saying about Confederate war memorials. I see no good reason for that poem to be on the Statue of Liberty.
I don't have a problem with General Lee's statue at Gettysburg or the other battlefields where he fought. I do have a problem with towns he never visited putting up statues of Lee, who was a traitor to the United States.

You do realize that the poem was written as a donation to an auction of art and literary works that was held to raise money for the construction of the statue's pedestal. Since it helped pay for the pedestal, there is no reason why it shouldn't be mounted there. It has been there since 1903.

Last edited:
Upvote 0